Old Perth - Picture Thread

25e Ainslie Place

#1077, hard to believe that as recently as 1957, there seemed to be no traffic lights at the High street Scott street junction.

The odd time Beeny Campbell would do a shift on traffic duty there then a bobby would come along watch for a few minutes then wie a laugh would tell her okay Beeny I'll manage now

right case she wis

Burghmuir road 1930's... reposted due to picture enhancement

30s_zpsaabaqevr.jpg

The gas street lamps were not converted to electric till the early 60s, they also continued down Jeanfield road towards the city centre. I remember when with my dad driving towards Letham, he stopped to chat to the leerie as he was lighting each lamp one by one.

The gas street lamps were not converted to electric till the early 60s, they also continued down Jeanfield road towards the city centre. I remember when with my dad driving towards Letham, he stopped to chat to the leerie as he was lighting each lamp one by one.

Leerie now there is a word i had forgotten

#1077, hard to believe that as recently as 1957, there seemed to be no traffic lights at the High street Scott street junction.

The odd time Beeny Campbell would do a shift on traffic duty there then a bobby would come along watch for a few minutes then wie a laugh would tell her okay Beeny I'll manage now

right case she wis

And when the lights were installed in the 60s, they were the first in Perth to have a pedestrian phase. Ah, the novelty and power you felt being able to stop the traffic with the push of a button,almost as much fun as going up and down the new escalators in Woolies all the time! Happy days

That Would be my uncle as that wis his job.what did he say ?