#10 - 03/10/09 - Hamilton Accies 0-2 Saints - SPL

God that was misserable at times. three points though and a screamer from Grainger.

In their half for 45 minutes and ando got on the end of a header across the goals.

Second half we sat far too deep and allowed them back into it.

Three points is all that matters in the end though.

Hamilton are 1st division material.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God that was misserable at times. three points though and a screamer from Grainger.

In their half for 45 minutes and ando got on the end of a header across the goals.

Second half we sat far too deep and allowed them back into it.

Three points is all that matters in the end though.

Hamilton are 1st division material.

Would agree.

On a more positive note Saints beat the weather and dominated the match 60/40 away from home, two goals, three easy points and never really looked like losing. Wasn't pretty but it was pretty on opening-day against Motherwell, and we only got one point.

All along the back four then five were fine and most of us have questioned them so that's great.

Ando was very good and I must be honest I have doubted him (don't try to get too smart 101 - or I'll mention Liam Craig)

Less convincing up front - Deuchar and Savo didn't click and I also though that Jody was below par. Missed Murray Davidson in midfield as a box-to-box player.

Chris Miller's switch/play that led to Grainger's goal was excellent.

Job done though - well done the squad and the management, its three points but it feels like six.

We can get something from Rangers and we will pick off other teams too.

Temple reports up now - one crap game, two goals but three luvverly points.

Deuch and Savo didn't link well and we were crap for a lot of the 2nd half. Jody was poor - it seems if he's off his game, the whole midfield is poor (see the 3-0 at Easter Rd), but Millar, Craig and the Mad Mental One did well.

Defensively we looked shaky in spells but Garters had possibly his best game for us and Ando played well in the side. Grainger scored an absolute peach as well.

Agreed about Accies - they should be very afraid. And their home crowd is non-existent.

the game was nearly as bad as their home support!!!! we must of had atleast 500 fans with us so they had a home support of 1600!!!! wasn't the best of games to say the least, however we deserved to win. On the other hand it must have been the worst i've seen saints play in a long time (football wise, just punting it) but we got the 3 points:) so well done:)

it must have been the worst i've seen saints play in a long time (football wise, just punting it) b

I'm so confused.... were the bbc actually at the game today?

"Steven Anderson scored on his debut as an impressive St Johnstone recorded their first league win of the season."

Pity I had to work today.

Anyway nice one saints, keep it up.

We could have turned in the worst performance in the history of SPL performances today and I wouldn't care, all that mattered was putting some points on the board after a frustrating few weeks. As is often the way in football, the win comes when we have a stinker and it's by a way our worst performance but it matters not a jot.

Weather maybe didn't help but I don't think it influenced things too much. First half started very scrappily but I thought we were starting to crank up the pressure before we scored, getting the ball wide and getting it in the mixer. We hadn't played particularly nice stuff but we were trying to get numbers forward, although I felt we missed Davidson's late presence in the box.

Second half was really backs to the wall stuff for large parts although I'm struggling to remember Main making a save of note. Great ping by Grainger and being greedy, we could have done better with a couple of other chances on the break. That probably would have suggested we'd played better than we did though.

Thought Anderson came in and did really well and Chris Millar was great in the middle of the park. After that, there weren't that many positives. Gartland was solid enough and must wonder who he's annoyed to pick up yet another booking for his first challenge, a soft, nothing trip in the middle of the pitch. You then see the tackle on Samuel that Evans gets away with at the end.

McArthur stopped Morris getting into the game at all but like us, there weren't many stars for Accies. Paixao got into some nice areas coming off the left but lacked composure.

Poor game, poor performance but three points, thankfully.

We will win irrespective of Del's tactics/selection, supremely confident about this one.

Anyway Del should play:

Main

Mackay-Ando-Garts-Grainger

Swanks-Hards-Morris-Craig

Sammy-Dukes

Subs:Clark*, Caff, Muzz, Morais, Savo, Matty & May

*Bombscare if Clark is unavailable

thats very positive 101, would have thought you'd think that could be a long wait

Del should spend less time thinking and more time asking me what to do!

Andrews and Curier were the standouts in a crap team....

And before anyone dobs me in, yes I did drive to Cliftonhill; but it wasn't my fault. Fecking TomTom has both Accies and Albion's grounds programmed to Albion's dump:oops:

Good to meet up with our Erskine supporter and his Dundee supporting pal (don't ask). Also the shexy lady - who's forum name is a lie!

Now I'm off to find the post where Cynical said that Grainger cannae strike a ball:laugh:

I'm so confused.... were the bbc actually at the game today?

"Steven Anderson scored on his debut as an impressive St Johnstone recorded their first league win of the season.".

haha anderson scored on his debut ***, honestly we played terrible, so terrible infact that my pals and i were laughing about how bad we were, no joke. But well done saints for getting the 3 points:)

Great result and I'm very happy about it but I must admit when I saw Del's team selection I felt it had a touch of desperation about it. It looked like he was trying to make us harder to beat by squeezing every bit of flair out of the team_ Samuel, Morais, Swankie, Davidson. Having played well, but with little luck - against the teams in the top half of the league, my own view was that we could have played the same type of football against the likes of Hamilton and gubbed them-and its much nicer to watch. It really was poor stuff today.

But we got a result and 3 points so I take my hat off to Del.

Del should spend less time thinking and more time asking me what to do!

Andrews and Curier were the standouts in a crap team....

And before anyone dobs me in, yes I did drive to Cliftonhill; but it wasn't my fault. Fecking TomTom has both Accies and Albion's grounds programmed to Albion's dump:oops:

Good to meet up with our Erskine supporter and his Dundee supporting pal (don't ask). Also the shexy lady - who's forum name is a lie!

Now I'm off to find the post where Cynical said that Grainger cannae strike a ball:laugh:

Never a dull moment with oor 101 Saint. Still, I got to give the sunnies a run out, which was a larf. :cool:

Interesting game for many reasons. Our recent record at NDP had been poor coming into this game, and after last week's shambles I was somewhat surprised to hear the lineup. Credit to Del, it was spot on. 7.5/10 for the manager. Excellent starting lineup and tactics, ruined towards the end for his lack of awareness that the game was changing, and for a few poor decisions.

Hardie fought well in the middle and but for a couple of very slack passes, he had a great shift and earned his pay putting in another gutsy, determined performance. The really pathetic booking he got no doubt affected his traditional "blood and thunder" persona, but he did what we want a chap like him to do. 7.5/10

Craig was solid if unspectacular. Had a couple of good runs but ruined them with a crap final touch. 6.5/10

Morris was anonymous. Totally failed to imprint himself on the game and had a few awful, awful passes, but they didn't come back to haunt us so it's all good. 5/10

Millar was excellent. His ball distribution was excellent and he didn't waste a single pass, his crossing was decent, and he laid the perfect pass off for Grainger for his barnstorming run and goal. To my surprise, he's really starting to shine, and I'm glad for him. A brilliant wee guy and he's turning out to be a great wee player. 8/10

Deuchar and Milne...the less said about them the better. 4/10

Now the defense, which were fantastic. Main didn't have much to do, but whenever he was needed, he performed. Caught any cross which came his way, saved a couple of squidgy shots, and made himself big enough to make their big silly-haired forward perform one of the most hilarious one-on-one misses I've ever witnessed. Also, props to the old geezer for providing a moment of magic when he ran out from his goal, tripped over, stood up, turned their winger and back-heeled the ball out. :laugh: 7/10

Gartland was excellent. Won just about everything in the air and kept the Courier under wraps with his outstanding partner, Ando. Some excellent clearing work and passing from the defense. Ando then scored a traditional centre back's goal - overpowering the keeper to shunt in a header. 10/10 for the central defenders.

Grainger and MacKay were also solid, not much got by them. Their distribution was sometimes lacking, but they played their part in a solid defensive game. 6.5/10

Subbies did well. McCaff was his composed self, and Sammy caused all sorts of problems when he came on.

I really was disappointed in some of the tactics though. We sat back for about 15 minutes and just let Accies pound us. While we stood firm, had they scored things would be very different just now. It was infuriating to see us so defensive for so long, but I guess in the position where we were at that point in the game, we desperately needed to hold onto the lead any we did. Dukes should have been punted at half time. It was clear he was going to get nothing after the first half an hour, and he lost the ball too many times needlessly. Savo put in an excellent shift...had he been an attacking midfielder. But he was rarely a goal threat, and that's what we need him for.

Sammy should have started, but otherwise we did a very proffesional job, today. Anderson was my MotM. Rock solid in defense, got us the goal which set us on the way to victory, and proved a lot of doubters wrong today.

...ot the one's where you said Craig was a genius...

Genius? Dubious. Worthy of his place? Indubitably.

What's with all the negativity? Our threadbare team secured an away victory and a clean sheet in truly horrible condition at a two sided stadium! Let's enjoy it.

Rusty, Caff, Peaso, Muzz will all be back soon and Mooner and Jacko are sort if making progress. If we keep winning Del will move on and we'll fight for top six. It's great being a Saintee.

ps If anyone knows of the whereaboots of Broonsaint, please ask him to re-commence his posting. I've got a lonely night ahead of me and I wanna be cheered up!

If we keep winning Del will move on and we'll fight for top six. It's great being a Saintee.

ps If anyone knows of the whereaboots of Broonsaint, please ask him to re-commence his posting. I've got a lonely night ahead of me and I wanna be cheered up!

If you are trying to turn a match thread into a "Look at me I am 101 Saint" then any chance of making a separate thread.

As far as the game goes terrible conditions. Far from the best performance of the season but an important clean sheet and an even more important 3 points.

As far as del's subs surely at 2-0 you are looking to keep hold of the ball and slow the game down, taht was why Morais came on. We can keep the a young lad playing his first SPL match for when we are 4-0 up against Rangers.

Except that it led to too many players over-hitting crosses - Craig and Miller in particular - hope they were over-compensating for the blustry conditions, although both have 'previous'.

We were probably unaware how strong the wind was, at one point early in the first half it looked like it was blowing so hard it made Deuchar looked like he was slow :wink::wink:

Were you at the game?

I was.......right beside Sol Campbell......he was telling me he is looking for a club at the moment......be a good signing......Really hard defender who deals with any type of balls in the box.

Great result today.......by the way Soulful......loved the Smurf hood - but theirs are blue !!

If you are trying to turn a match thread into a "Look at me I am 101 Saint" then any chance of making a separate thread.

You usually do that for me:laugh:

As far as del's subs surely at 2-0 you are looking to keep hold of the ball and slow the game down, taht was why Morais came on. We can keep the a young lad playing his first SPL match for when we are 4-0 up against Rangers.

No! The Caff subby was crazy, nonsense! The sort of bthing you'd expect of a manager of the calibre of Chisholm, Scott, Rae, Brown et al.

As for bringing on Fil, the game was over and we should have been looking at a subby to time waste and who has the pace and skill to grab a third. Fil fits the bill, so would May or Reynolds. I would have blooded one of the bairns. Goal difference may well be crucial.

the game was nearly as bad as their home support!!!! we must of had atleast 500 fans with us so they had a home support of 1600!!!! wasn't the best of games to say the least, however we deserved to win. On the other hand it must have been the worst i've seen saints play in a long time (football wise, just punting it) but we got the 3 points:) so well done:)

thought the same about 500 super j's.Not the prettiest game this season oops that reminds me seen the Ghost at Hamilton

but needs must.....so much for Hamilton being a football hot bed,won't finish below them thats for sure

Hamilton..piss poor stadium,piss poor team,piss poor support,be worried

You usually do that for me:laugh:

No! The Caff subby was crazy, nonsense! The sort of bthing you'd expect of a manager of the calibre of Chisholm, Scott, Rae, Brown et al.

As for bringing on Fil, the game was over and we should have been looking at a subby to time waste and who has the pace and skill to grab a third. Fil fits the bill, so would May or Reynolds. I would have blooded one of the bairns. Goal difference may well be crucial.

At the point Caff came on I felt we were on the verge of losing a goal. Fair play to McInnes for sorting it out.

Although the defenders done well at the other end at times we were under the cosh - through our own doing, rather than their skills etc, but again it's hard to know what effect the wind made in creating some of the Fawlty Towers stuff?