Muirton Memories

McD

One of my abiding memories was going down to the ground when it was half demolished, and recovering the "Players and Officials" entrance sign (was huge!), carried it all the way back to north muirton. It was in a shed in Crammond PLace when the floods hit NM - so that was the the end of the sign....

been too young to understand but sang "crawford baptie's wifes a whore". .Also the name plate that was gold plated at the players entrance used to get grubby with finger prints,for some reason i could not walk past it without polishing it with my sleeve

Edited by soupy76

walking round the terracing at half time so we were always standing behind the goal into which Saints scored. And not being able to do it when the Old Firm turned up and the crowd was segregated by putting up a couple of rickety barriers.

Invading the pitch on the last game of the 75/76 season when we were relegated (0-0 hearts, I think).

Being last out of Muirton Park after the last game with Mr CJB then when we decided to leave, Bruce refusing to let us out of the players entrance and having to climb out :laugh:

Being possibly the last man to score at Muirton Park in the same game that Erchie kept the last clean sheet.

Taking a penalty at half time in a competition for local boys team in front of a "huge" crowd watching Saints v Raith (3rd and 4th in the league I think) and missing.

Segregation under the covered terracing to keep the rival fans apart except in the bogs!

Riot against Motherwell (I think) when they wrecked the minutes silence for Willie Ormond

Loads of lasting mamories ,here are a few:

The smell of the terracing , close your eyes ,imagine you are in the enclosure ,listen to the muirton roar , take 3 deep breaths through your nose ,feel the atmosphere and remember how it had it's own distinct smell . It's still there in my nostrils today,braw.

One of my earliest memories is Saints beating Rangers in the 60's. I was in the ice rink end with my father who lifted me aloft when we scored . I was a saintees addict from a very early age.

I also remember taking young John Bonham to his first game in his blue and white buggy . He was also addicted at a very young age and still and always will be a saintees junkie.

One of the funniest memories is a ball hitting one of the macaroon bar sellers and his macaroon bars and wrigly spearment gum going all over the running track.

All the kids used to stand down the front , I remember when I became tall enough to see over the advertising barriers .

Collecting empty fanta and coke bottles.

Jock Simons size 12 boots.

Jimmy Wallace

Being crushed leaving the ground ,particularly going down the steps to Florence place.

Police horses in Florence place on big match days.

No mans land.

Hearts playing Montrose in an evening cup replay and being in the saints choir that turned up that day. No surprise to say we were singing saintees songs but also joined Montrose fans against Hearts.

The wee door under the stand into the bar at half time , seggregation barriers eventually put an end to that.

My favourite game was probably the 3-3 scottish cup game against Rangers.What a day.

Stray dogs.

Singing "it's a long way to the buses ,it's a long way to run"

I remember being involved in a group of Academy pupils who accompanied Billy Nicol and his chums from Hillside Hospital to Muirton. Billy and co were all in wheelchairs and we had to stand with them to the left of the away dug out. Honestly, some of the language from football managers then was appalling!

micky lawson hit me square in the dish with a ball and broke my glasses !

lets all do the pack boys dance

na na na na na na !

USED TO LOVE THE DUNDEE GAMES AT MUIRTON !

STEVE MASKREYS GOAL AGAIST RAITH ROV

the ball in the ice cream van v dumbaton

my shut out and gerrys wonder strike

aaah the fond memories !

Beating Celtic 2 - 0 in a midweek league cup tie in 1981. A super Ally goal nutmegging Roy Aitken on the line then a Jimmy Morton penalty. What made it special was travelling through to Perth on the Greenock Celtic bus. One smiley face on the way hame ! :D

Funnily enough I was back the next Saturday and saw what was the best game I'd been at till the 3 -1 Airdrie at Mc D in 1990. This bizzarely was a 3 - 2 defeat from St Mirren, Billy Stark and all. Amazing game which culminated with us getting a corner when their centre half palmed the ball over the bar in the last minute. Also saw super Ally's last Saints goal !

Funnily enough I was back the next Saturday and saw what was the best game I'd been at till the 3 -1 Airdrie at Mc D in 1990. This bizzarely was a 3 - 2 defeat from St Mirren, Billy Stark and all. Amazing game which culminated with us getting a corner when their centre half palmed the ball over the bar in the last minute. Also saw super Ally's last Saints goal !

Could have sworn Jackie Copland punched it down on the line not palmed it over, but whatever the fecker done I mind it well too. Great game right enough. Beat Hibs as well in that group and think we would have progressed to the next round if we had beaten Fakes in that game.

Mind a young laddie got the ball right in the coupon when it was kicked out by a player in a pre-season friendly. Cue tears and snotters for about five minutes.

Next game same laddie standing in about the same spot and a ball is again kicked into the crowd, but this time the laddie is a wee bit smarter and turns round so it can't hit him in the pus again.

Unfortunately for him fate was smarter and the ball hit one of the terracing steps "kerbie"style and bounced back and (yep you guessed it!!!!!!!!!) hit him smack in the face again. Yet more tears and snotters :laugh:

Absolute scream for everybody (except him obviously). Think I seen him at the snooker with a crash helmet on recently :laugh:

In the 1985 - 86 season the Police deployment at Muirton Park was usually one Sergeant and 2 Cops. The Sergeant stood at the tunnel and one cop went to the Ice Rink end and the other to the Florence Place end. They used to walk to Muirton Park, up the Dunkeld Road from Barrack Street, and walk back down with the " crowd" at the end of the match.

I seem to remember somewhere near to where the RBS is now, there was a bakery or something similar and at 4.45 they used to sell pies, from a table placed outside their door, to the crowd heading back into the city centre

In the 1985 - 86 season the Police deployment at Muirton Park was usually one Sergeant and 2 Cops. The Sergeant stood at the tunnel and one cop went to the Ice Rink end and the other to the Florence Place end. They used to walk to Muirton Park, up the Dunkeld Road from Barrack Street, and walk back down with the " crowd" at the end of the match.

I seem to remember somewhere near to where the RBS is now, there was a bakery or something similar and at 4.45 they used to sell pies, from a table placed outside their door, to the crowd heading back into the city centre

Crawfords................:D