Motm Saints 3 - Celtic 3 - 07/05/14 - Just For Fun

MOTM Saints 3 - Celtic 3 - 07/05/14  

90 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

For the purpose of getting the trophy engraved (before the POTY awards were postponed until the 18th May) we officially ended the scoring - hence why it says 'just for fun' now.

This was the final top 10 table, points and votes.

You'll notice that Lee Croft gets far less votes - he's only been here half the season, and has topped several polls, but hasn't picked up handfuls if votes here and there for 47 games like the others have. Hence why the 3,2 or 1 point system is, in my opinion, a better reflection of who has been consistently MOTM material.

Strange that  a guy that has been out injured most of the season is second & another that has hardly played is third.My comments are in wrong place.

potyFINAL_zps7dab16b1.jpg

Edited by Cagey

Typically they are players that win games though. Workhorses like Gary Mac and Dave MacKay don't get a fair result in my opinion, but it's a MOTM poll, not a best player all round poll. Game winner type players will always score well.

Nigel has consistently been MOTM or heavily criticised. Very few times has he been just OK.

Muzz was outstanding for a spell in the middle if the season when May and others were slightly below par.

Edited by montrosesaintee

Thanks I now understand how the tables are compiled. You are quite right a televised game or home game will generate more votes. However after all votes are cast there is only one winner no matter how many votes are registered. Silly question as it is man of the match and not men of the match why not give one point to the winner that day. When I played we would ask the opposition to pick a man of the match and the player with the most MOTM was player of the year.

Edited by Inchcolm

Thanks I now understand how the tables are compiled. You are quite right a televised game or home game will generate more votes. However after all votes are cast there is only one winner no matter how many votes are registered. Silly question as it is man of the match and not men of the match why not give one point to the winner that day. When I played we would ask the opposition to pick a man of the match and the player with the most MOTM was player of the year.

In my opinion, that would be the only other reasonable way to do it, one point for MOTM each week. My laptop is at work and I can't read the numbers on the votes table on my phone, but i bet the result would be very similar if not identical. I'll check on Monday when I'm back in the office.

Edit - a quick look but I think May would have had 8 points, Muzz and Nigel 4 and a load of folk on 3 or 2 points.

Edited by montrosesaintee