Youth News

soccerchic

We dont have an under 19s team and I dont think there are any plans to have one. Read dels interview in the program from the first match of the season against livi where he explained his thoughts behind it if you can get it.

But the under 17 team will be too old for the 17's level, therefore it will be likely they step up to the 19's level for a couple of years. Was this not the thinking in the programme notes you mention Gary?

The club get one year's grace from having to be performance level compliant per the quotes earlier in the thread and we only have to have all teams and enter the 19's SPL league etc if the first team avoid relegation next season. As far as I am aware, the requirements that we don't meet are number of qualified coaches and number of sides at the relevant age levels.

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But the under 17 team will be too old for the 17's level, therefore it will be likely they step up to the 19's level for a couple of years. Was this not the thinking in the programme notes you mention Gary?

The club get one year's grace from having to be performance level compliant per the quotes earlier in the thread and we only have to have all teams and enter the 19's SPL league etc if the first team avoid relegation next season. As far as I am aware, the requirements that we don't meet are number of qualified coaches and number of sides at the relevant age levels.

Yeah, surely it's a foregone conclusion that this season's U17s will become U19s next season?

I think this whole SPL rules thing is a joke though. It should be about quality and quantity and I'd far rather see Saints with three good young teams that average ones at every age group. Our U17s are miles better than Dundee's, Dunfermline's and Ross County's, yet because they have sides at U11 etc... level, they are allowed to play in a higher league. Seems stupid to me.

Fair point Radford - however it is not all about sides being better than other sides and possibly beating them - it is about individual player (and team) development. If the youths at the likes of Ross C, Dunf, Dundee etc are playing against the OF, Hibs, Hearts, Hamilton etc every week, they will become better players than playing against teams in the development set-up. IMO

14s lost 6-2 away to Queens Park on sunday :sad:

16s played Alloa Athletic last night ( Wed )

Alloa 2 Saints 2 ( h/t 2- 1 )

Saints scored first in this exciting contest with a superbly taken free kick by Ricky McIntosh but Alloa equalised through a header from former Saintees centre back Darren Shaw.

Alloa then took the lead before halftime with a lovely 25 yard strike before Saints got back on level terms in the dying moments of the game after Ricky McIntosh swung in a pacy corner kick that was deflected into the Alloa goal off the head of a defender.

I cant remember I shall have to go and have a read of them.

Heard from a good source ie coach at saints that the 16s squad is getting dismantled any one hear anything thought some of these boys could play a bit story originated I beleive at the perth coaching amongst coaches for the local youngsters:

Only player that I can remember being released is a very pedestrian centre back and a Striker who mised chances. Is that you posting under another name Willie?

Very pedestrian centre back Monkey? :oops:

A striker who missed chances ? :oops:

Saints 16s are the fastest side in the division but scored both of the goals against a solid Alloa defence that included Darren Shaw the other night -from set pieces .

And remember Saints failed to score at all in the previous meeting between the sides.

If there is a player in Scottish PY football with a better record against Saints in the last couple of seasons than the lad Shaw then I would like to hear about him. He played in a 1-1 draw for QP before joining Saints last season and has now faced Saints 4 times this season with Alloa Athletic - and never lost, drawing 3 times and winning the other game 3-0.

He has also scored twice against Saints 16s.

That is a record that deserves respect in my book.

As for Ross Clift. Ross has scored a very impressive 5 goals in 6 games for Raith Rovers 17s and is moving up to performance level with his new side next season.

Both of these lads , along with many of the boys they have had the pleasure of playing alongside at Saints this season have the potential to make their mark in the game and I wish each and every one of them every success.

What I am saying is this Monkey , you shouldn't be slagging young players that leave the club. Any decent parent or Saints fan should wish these young players well elsewhere.

You sir , lack class.

I have decided to lock this thread following complaints about some of the things that have been said on this thread.

This thread was always about keeping Saints fans informed about how our youths were progressing but it seems that some people have gone too far in aspects of their criticism.

In order to allow discussion of our youth teams to continue I have started a new thread which will be more closely monitored. This thread can be found here: http://www.weareperth.co.uk/vforum/showthread.php?p=221795