McDiarmid upgrades

Betty Lavette

I like the corners the way they are. They provide the ground with a reminder of its differing surroundings. In one direction you can see the western edge of town, Perth's outward expansion; in another direction you look up the hill to Letham and see people heading down the hill to the game.

In another direction you can see the farmland on which McDiarmid was built, and the opposite corner (when sat from the away end) offers a view of the training pitch and future stars playing for the youths.

Probably wasn't designed with the above in mind, but it fits together quite well.

Livingston is a soul-less place with its corners filled in, it had more atmosphere when it was four boxes like ours.

Never thought of it that way, but very true. Maybe it should actually be the other way around and other clubs should copy us by tearing their corners down. I'd particularly like the view it would create from Celtic Park, where you'd be able to see boarded-up windows in all directions, whilst also being able to keep an eye out for people breaking into your car.

Never thought of it that way, but very true. Maybe it should actually be the other way around and other clubs should copy us by tearing their corners down. I'd particularly like the view it would create from Celtic Park, where you'd be able to see boarded-up windows in all directions, whilst also being able to keep an eye out for people breaking into your car.

...superb analagy, quality argument for keeping them open

Of course it's just preferenes. I think McD is quaint and well designed in terms of a modern football stadium. However I prefer grounds that go right round without big gaps e.eg. Muirton, Hampden, Tynecastle, Stadium Of Light, Hampden, Shawfield (when Clyde had money), Celtic Park and even Rangers filled in their corners. None of these grounds would have been or would be better with open corners. I gave the three reasons above, however I accept that there are those who like viewing the outside of the ground and the pretty nice trees ...oooh, or the people walking down the road ... oooh, and love the ball getting blown abput resulting in a pish game because then the moaners can go into full voice. Just a mile outisde Perth there are trees people could sit and look at all Saturday afternoon, or go down town and watch people. When I'm in the East Stand I don't hear the West Stand much, when I'm in the West Stand I hardly hear the East Stand yet there is atmosphere when I'm in either. People used to say McDiarmid was just a mini Ibrox because of the four separate stands which I agree are better for the police and segregation but I think it doesn't make the most of any atmosphere.

McD has to have a reasonably large crowd to have atmosphere and even then that could even be louder e.g. the Dundee game.

In fact just to annoy the negatoids (and by the way I don't know Gordon Smith)I think all grounds will need to be fully enclosed with roofing too in the not so distance future. :shock:

Better football, better atmosphere :lol:

I like the corners the way they are. They provide the ground with a reminder of its differing surroundings. In one direction you can see the western edge of town, Perth's outward expansion; in another direction you look up the hill to Letham and see people heading down the hill to the game.

You can also see 71 Strathtay Road, Letham, the former residence of the soulful one, and the only house in Perth where you could have a poster of Betty Lavette on your wall, and see McDiarmid and Muirton out of the front bedroom. Beat that Chuckie Boy.

Back on subject: -

Can you imagine even more empty seats! Think the last thing we need is to build more, If anything a 6000 seater stadium would do us more than adequately, maybe we can lop the top third of the stands off then fill in the corners to make it 6000.

And on another subject,since when were the bulbs for the floodlights £150, just found them on a website(not ebay) for £62.50 maybe Steve Broons making lots of money from them.

Do you think the club will start stadium tours since the changing rooms have been done up, cant wait to see the gold/brass taps.:)