Steve Hislop

HeronAddict

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=332810&CPID=14&clid=&lid=5&title=Caley+could+sue

Looks like Steve Hislop, ex-Caley Thistle, is avaliable on a free transfer from Gillingham, and is looking for a move back to Scotland. Could he be the target-man type striker I still feel we could do with? He always impressed me when he was at Caley, and am I right to say that he was the top scorer in the league when they got promotion?

He got 14 goals for them that season but was outscored by Paul Ritchie (23) and David Bingham (17). Barry Wilson also got 14 goals. Those 14 goals did come in only 23 (9) games though. He scored goals for County as well and is a big striker but I don't remember him being that great with his head or at leading the line as such, he was very quick though.

Concern is that he misses a lot of games through injury but that's never stopped us in the past.

Can see the good and the bad in it, not convinced we need another striker though, as much as I'd love a target man!

is he not actually an attacking midfielder?

Nope he's definitely an out and out striker - career stats here: http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=21456

6 foot tall, with a career scoring record of about 1 every 3 starts, I think he could be exactly what we need, especially if we're able to sign a winger in January as well. We undoubtedly have good strikers already, but a player like Hislop would give us a different option which I think at times we've badly needed this season, especially with Coyle not looking upto continuing to play at this level. He has had his fair share of injury problems though, so maybe a loan deal to the end of the season, with an option to sign if he does well, might be an option? Gillingham seem quite keen for someone to take him off their hands, so I don't think they'd be difficult to deal with.