Nothing to do with fitba'

mapleleaf

If I can be forgiven for a wee bit of chauvanistic self-indulgence; Canada has just retained the World Junior Hockey Championship, 5-0 against a highly favoured team from Russia.

That means that Canada are Men's World Champions and Olympic Champions.

Also Women's World and Olympic Champions and now Junior Champions. 'Looking good.

Probably doesn't mean much outside of the hockey world but it's a pretty impressive resume.

Wish it was fitba'.

Smudge 8) (Hockey is just fitba on ice. With different equipment. And rules. And strategy. Other than that? No difference.) :?

Hockey is a great game. I have been hocked since October :D:lol:

Went to the opening night of the NHL in Vancouver this year. The players had been on strike for a year so the fans were well up for the return of the game. I managed to get tickets from a scalper (Canadian for tout) at a reasonable price and as a thank you to the fans everyone who attended on opening night we were all given a replica Stanley cup with a message of thanks from the NHL and the players. The Vancouver Canucks also produced a Free 90 page programme as well as handing out pendants for the team winning the North West championship in 2004

The game is certainly big business over there with live games almost every night. The regular season is a mere 82 games in six months and the schedule (not fixtures as I was slatted on a Canucks forum can be a bit strange. The Canucks are in a run where 14 out of 18 games are away from home.

I have actually managed to see every Canucks goal this season due to the excellent free service on www.NHL.com where if you give them your e-mail address you can access "Scotsport" length highlights of every game played, but unlike scotsport they never miss a goal.

I am looking forward to the Olympic hockey and I know who I will be hoping win. :wink: Go Canada ! :lol:

The Canucks are in a run where 14 out of 18 games are away from home. Go Canada ! :lol:

The reason the Canucks are on the road is because the Junior Championship was played in their rink.

I, too, am looking forward to the Olympics next month, and looking for the lads to defend their Olympic gold.

As a matter of fact, this year will be good and bad. Good because we have an Olympics and a World Cup. Bad because it will all be over by the end of July, leaving me with a deep withdrawal problem until the fitba' season starts again.

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to drink in the interim.

Smudge 8)

:D:):D:):o

Burrows scores first NHL goal and assist as Canucks beat Leafs 4-3

VANCOUVER (CP) - Rookie Alexandre Burrows scored his first NHL goal and added an assist as the Vancouver Canucks captured a 4-3 win over the Toronto Maple Leafs on Tuesday night. It was a night for Vancouver grinders as hard-nosed players Jarkko Ruutu and Matt Cooke also scored to lead the Canucks to their third straight win. Anson Carter, on a third-period power play, had the other Canuck goal. Vancouver (24-14-5, 53 points) moved to within two points of first-place Calgary in the Northwest Division standings. The Flames lost 4-2 to the New York Rangers.

Chad Kilger had a goal and assist for the Leafs (24-16-3, 51 points), who lost for the second time in nine games. Alexander Khavanov and Alex Steen, on the power play, also scored. Toronto outshot Vancouver 38-19 overall and 30-10 margin over the last 40 minutes. Burrows, playing in just his fifth NHL game after being called up from the AHL Manitoba Moose, broke a 2-2 tie in the second period. He fired a shot into a crowd that Leaf goaltender Ed Belfour stopped, but the puck sailed high into the air and landed behind him in the net.

The 24-year-old from Pointe-Claire, Que., had picked up his first NHL assist in the first on Ruutu's goal. He fed a pass to Ruutu, who fired a shot over Belfour's shoulder on the stick side.It was Ruutu's seventh goal of the season, a career high for the Finn playing in his sixth season. Steen pulled the Leafs to within one at 10:51 of the third. He took Tomas Kaberle's pass through the neutral zone, fought off a hook from defenceman Mattias Ohlund, and beat goaltender Alex Auld with a backhand to the short side.

Kilger opened the scoring at 4:41 of the first while killing the game's initial penalty. Canuck defenceman Sami Salo had his shot from the point blocked. Kilger picked up the puck at the blue-line and skated into the Vancouver zone. He fought off Salo with one hand, then launched a spin-around shot that beat Auld on the far side. It was Kilger's fourth goal in as many games, coming on Toronto's first shot on goal. After looking shaky in the first, Auld was great in the second when the Canucks were outshot 13-5. He twice got a pad on shots from Mats Sundin and blocked Tie Domi, who had been left alone on his doorstep.

The Leaf nation was out in full force among the sellout crowd of 18,630 for Toronto's only visit of the season. Chants of "Go Leafs go" were quickly countered with a chorus of "Leafs suck." Toronto played without Bryan McCabe, the NHL's top scoring defenceman, who missed the game with a groin injury. Without McCabe, the first Leaf power play looked ragged and disorganized but it improved as the game progressed.

So much for B.C Pussies Mapleleaf . :D

It looks like a great game from the NHL game highlights Some awesome take outs in this game

Well, that game report obviously came from a Vancouver newspaper and was written by the Canucks' second assistant General Manager.

The real reasons for the defeat of the Rulers of the Hockey World were:

1. They was feckin' cheatin';

2. They was feckin' lucky;

3. The ref was shite;

4. The linesmen sucked;

5. Brian McCabe was injured;

6. Vancouver isn't really in Canada because it never feckin' snows.

So there, Real Madrid. :P

You can claim it as a win if you wanna, but it would be a totally bogus claim.

Smudge 8) (And [like a true Saints' fan] never makes excuses).