Luis Figo retires

inex

Just retired. Has been a quality player for a long time. I have marvelled at his vision and skill for Portugal, Inter Milan, Real Madrid and Barcelona and wished I could have seen more.

Was the pride of Portugal for many years until Ronaldo has inherited that crown. More people in Portugal would recognise Figo than the Prime Minister.

Won everything at club level and was World player of the year in 2001. Not many players have enjoyed such success all at top clubs, another Sporting Lisbon product.

Just a shame for him Portugal lost the 2004 final to Greece and were robbed by a Henry dive in the 2006 World Cup.

A true legend, dont go play for some arab or US side, you dont need the cash, go out on top.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/10/italy/2009/05/17/1269501/inters-luis-figo-retires-from-football

It was a great night when Figo inspired Portugal to come back from two goals down to win 3-2. He was immense that night.

<object width="580" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REaBzVUlptA&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REaBzVUlptA&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="580" height="360"></embed></object>

Saw him playing when he was 15 or 16 at Tynecastle in the QF (or Semi) of the U16 world cup when it was held in Scotland. That Portgual Side (which we beat en-route to the final) was littered with top stars of the future.

Gary Bollan, Paul Dickov, Brian O'Neil and Co gave them what for!!!

Saw him playing when he was 15 or 16 at Tynecastle in the QF (or Semi) of the U16 world cup when it was held in Scotland. That Portgual Side (which we beat en-route to the final) was littered with top stars of the future.

Gary Bollan, Paul Dickov, Brian O'Neil and Co gave them what for!!!

did simao play that day?

Figo is a legend, 2 things spring to mind the goal v england and the pigs head

did simao play that day?

Figo is a legend, 2 things spring to mind the goal v england and the pigs head

Yes he did, just checked. I never knew that! It was the semi final and would you believe that there was 29,000 there that night and some were locked out. What it must have meant to the Scottish Players of that age to play to that!

I remember wallce mercer on the tannoy thanking fans for turning out. I would only have been 10.