Rooney to Saints

Indicator

For auld Muirton lags, does anybody remember when Benny Rooney signed for Saints and who were our opponents in his first game for the club :wink:

nae idea when he signed, but i assume it was 1966/67 season. first game i see his name mentioned (bristling with possibilities) is 03/12/66 away to airdrie.....we lost 2-0:sad:

Having seem my first Saints games on 28th Nov 1964 I should know this one but I had to go to Bristling with ... as well. Someone is not doing their research properly. Benny came as a centre forward and was playing in season 65/66 - first game I think was v Dundee 19/3/66 - John KIlgannon winner at 1-0. Cigarette burn on back of my parka from Dundee fan! Firs goal against Falkirk away the following week! See page 129 signed in March from DUtd!

Someone is not doing their research properly.

Was a quick look thru the book as I was needing my bed after 12 hour nightshift

:neutral:

Easy mistake - especially after night shift - it was his picture in the book from the Ipswich game earlier that season that reminded me that he was actually a 'centre' when he came to us. Great captain at the time but do not recall him ever looking like much of a striker.