John Cook(e) - 1960's St Johnstone player ?

sweet magee

I run a website devoted to the history of Margate FC - the club in Kent you signed Martin Buglione from in the early 1990's - and I'm wondering if anybody knows anything about a John Cook, or possibly Cooke who joined Margate in the summer of 1965 and was apparently an ex St Johnstone player ?

Just wondering if somebody might know whether he definitely played for St J and what the correct spelling of his surname is. Any other info like his date of birth, other clubs etc would be a bonus. Could also do with a photo of him, the one I have is really poor.

Almost certain he didn't play first team football for St J but maybe Cook(e) was a reserve team player or similar ?

If anybody fancies reading Martin Buglione's extensive player profile (a legendary player for Margate) my site's at www.margatefchistory.com - you'll find Martin's page in the 'Players' section.

As you suspected, there's nobody by that name down as having played a first team game for Saints around that time. As such, you'll really be relying on someone with a good memory from the time and there are a few such guys on here. Whether they remember a guy that never made it to the first team, I'm not sure.

Another option would maybe be to contact the club directly, Paul Smith I'm sure would be happy to help you if you could, or point you in the direction of someone that could.

That is some profile you have on Martin Buglione too, fantastic detail. Really I think most Saints fans will only remember him for that debut goal at Hibs but his scoring record was actually quite decent for us looking back at it. Unfortunately he was around at a time when the club had a couple of the best strikers to grace the blue shirt in Billy Dodds and especially Paul Wright.

Thanks for the Paul Smith tip - I'll try sending a message via the official site.

Glad you enjoyed reading Bugsy's profile - quite an effort trying to work out all the clubs he played for ! Margate have still never revealed how much St Johnstone paid for him but the figure I've heard most often was £25,000. Don't know if that's right or not though.

Thanks for the kind words about my site. More to come on Bugsy's profile - haven't covered the later part of his Margate career properly yet.

Something that's not on his page yet is the fact that he was imortalised in song ! When Margate played an FA Cup tie against Fulham in 1997 an album was recorded (no messing around with just one song !) and one of the tracks was a cover of Sham 69's 'Hurry Up Harry' retitled 'Hurry Up Bugsy'. Lyrics were changed too and featured some memorable Bugsy-related lines including something along the lines of 'why won't you have a crack ? / don't ponce around, just give it a whack' and a magical bit of rhyming - 'you gave it everything / flap your arms like a penguin'. He did used to flap his arms in a bit of a penguin-like manner when things weren't going for him !

Paul Smith's on the Cook / Cooke case for me.

Thanks for the kind words about my site. More to come on Bugsy's profile - haven't covered the later part of his Margate career properly yet.

Something that's not on his page yet is the fact that he was imortalised in song ! When Margate played an FA Cup tie against Fulham in 1997 an album was recorded (no messing around with just one song !) and one of the tracks was a cover of Sham 69's 'Hurry Up Harry' retitled 'Hurry Up Bugsy'. Lyrics were changed too and featured some memorable Bugsy-related lines including something along the lines of 'why won't you have a crack ? / don't ponce around, just give it a whack' and a magical bit of rhyming - 'you gave it everything / flap your arms like a penguin'. He did used to flap his arms in a bit of a penguin-like manner when things weren't going for him !

Paul Smith's on the Cook / Cooke case for me.

Good effort mate, Paul is a great credit to Saints.