Forum Addiction

David

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding the post count. I don't see any harm in removing it, the 'race' element has always made me groan, to be quite honest.

I think since the BH forum had so many technical troubles recently, most people accept that having a forum at all is the main thing here, and other than a bit of over-excitement from a couple of folk on Saturday, there shouldn't be too much nonsense.

If I could automatically remove 'text message' type posts, "me too" type responses, etc, then I would - but one-word replies are very common in man-of-the-match voting, so it's a bit tricky!

Won't be doing anything with the post counter until the weekend at least, so let the debate continue...

I personally think it would be a shame to have to remove the post-counter just because it's abused by a small minority. It's really meant to be there as a bit of fun to see how many messages folk have posted - I think it's a nice thing to be able to see, but it's when people start to see it as a race that it becomes a problem. I really do think that if it was removed, it would be allowing the minority to spoil part of the forum for the majority. Maybe we should set up a poll on it?

It's fine saying that the solution is to have moderators deleting posts made by post-builders, but what's the criteria we're going to use to know what posts to delete? Once a moderator starts wading in and deleting posts, you soon find that it has to happen all the time because you've set a precedent, so it's something I very rarely did over at the BH forum. It's because of issues like this that I think this new forum is going to need some properly laid-out rules for people to follow if it's going to work properly with multiple moderators, but I'll try to post something about that a bit later on. As Dave says, at these things can be settled over time but at the moment the priority is just having a forum running at all.

I would certainly be on the side of removing the post counter but i reckon I would be in the minority, if a poll were conducted i reckon it would only serve to confirm this. It's maybe more a decision the site admin need to make rather than one to be made by the general consensus of the forum members.

I would certainly be on the side of removing the post counter but i reckon I would be in the minority, if a poll were conducted i reckon it would only serve to confirm this. It's maybe more a decision the site admin need to make rather than one to be made by the general consensus of the forum members.

I would agree with you Watty - however, it wouldn't be the first time in the shor time this site has been up and running that I have been in the minority :wink:

I personally think it would be a shame to have to remove the post-counter just because it's abused by a small minority. It's really meant to be there as a bit of fun to see how many messages folk have posted - I think it's a nice thing to be able to see, but it's when people start to see it as a race that it becomes a problem. I really do think that if it was removed, it would be allowing the minority to spoil part of the forum for the majority. Maybe we should set up a poll on it?

It's fine saying that the solution is to have moderators deleting posts made by post-builders, but what's the criteria we're going to use to know what posts to delete? Once a moderator starts wading in and deleting posts, you soon find that it has to happen all the time because you've set a precedent, so it's something I very rarely did over at the BH forum. It's because of issues like this that I think this new forum is going to need some properly laid-out rules for people to follow if it's going to work properly with multiple moderators, but I'll try to post something about that a bit later on. As Dave says, at these things can be settled over time but at the moment the priority is just having a forum running at all.

Agree Gary. What it needs is some good editing to get rid of the multiple single word posts which only serve to annoy folk. Personally, I get really fed up with having to wade through posts such as "why" - "why not" - "because" - "yeah" - "right" and so on and so forth. If these start apperaing in the Matchday Music then they will be wheeked out straight away!! :evil:

Minute delay - not currently, just type your edit nice and slowly!

Spell checker - already had a go at this. First attempt converted "r u going 2 the game" to the proper words, but it also converted a score line to "Dundee too Saints 1" which wasn't quite right...

We don't want to be removing posts from the forums though, the hope with this new site (and multiple moderators) was that the group would soon clamp down on people who post rubbish. It's already happened this past weekend at the start of the 'ChitChat' forum.

The short posts are an annoyance but I'd rather they stayed on the site so enough people moan about them and get it stopped! Gary's post earlier was spot on, we need to establish how things get moderated before we start doing it... and not have separate rules for each topic.

Are we not allowed image signatures?

make sure in your profile, in the sig section, that "bbcode" is set to "on"? :?

Anyway, I don't see a need for removing that 1 minute time limit. I'm not a big poster.

But I think the minute delay on editing posts should be removed. I often make small mistakes which I have to edit straight away, as to not make myself look stupid. :P

Also I was beggining to get worried, when BH wasn't loading for the past few days. I see everyone has been hiding out here though. :P

make sure in your profile, in the sig section, that "bbcode" is set to "on"? :?

Anyway, I don't see a need for removing that 1 minute time limit. I'm not a big poster.

But I think the minute delay on editing posts should be removed. I often make small mistakes which I have to edit straight away, as to not make myself look stupid. :P

Also I was beggining to get worried, when BH wasn't loading for the past few days. I see everyone has been hiding out here though. :P

BBCode is on

could it be that it doesn't like the .png file name? I had tried to post a picture in another thread with that file extension and it didn't like it. Try re-saving the file with a .jpg extension....

PNG images are fine. It's very likely to do with the file name, as Kevin says - images (and any other links) should have spaces 'encoded' or the forum software might reject them. The image itself is fine.