Maintaining momentum

R.B.B:- Adz

At the risk of over-egging the pudding, I think we would all be in reasonable agreement that the transition from Tommy Wright to Callum Davidson has been better than we expected. More exciting football, the rejuvenation of the prodigal son Stevie May, the discovery of Danny McNamara, the continued development of Ali McCann and the unexpected form of David Wotherspoon.

However, there has been a lot of talk on other threads regarding new signings in January or summer, whether we should keep Kane, Booth, Craig or all three. Whether we should be signing new superkids from Falkirk and alike.

I worry that we are sleeping walking into what we have spent 10 years trying to avoid... high player turnover. We are at risk of losing quality players and replacing them with average players which I believe would trigger our demise.

We currently have a prevalence of quality or potentially quality players:

McNamara, Kerr, Gordon, McCart and McCann head up that list.

The problem is two fold, not only could these guys be in high demand, if we don’t move soon to extent their contract, they could leave for nothing. 

My argument therefore goes something like: we MUST use finite resources that we currently have to invest in extending the contracts of Jason Kerr, Liam Gordon, Jamie McCart and Ali McCann.

Edited by R.B.B:- Adz

Part of our success has been stability. These clubs who bring in almost a whole team of new signings each year are the ones that struggle.  Contracts need to be extended, and we need to start looking for the next generation of players who will make St. Johnstone their home for the majority of their career in the way that Craig & Davidson have done.

On 12/4/2020 at 6:40 PM, R.B.B:- Adz said:

At the risk of over-egging the pudding, I think we would all be in reasonable agreement that the transition from Tommy Wright to Callum Davidson has been better than we expected. More exciting football, the rejuvenation of the prodigal son Stevie May, the discovery of Danny McNamara, the continued development of Ali McCann and the unexpected form of David Wotherspoon.

However, there has been a lot of talk on other threads regarding new signings in January or summer, whether we should keep Kane, Booth, Craig or all three. Whether we should be signing new superkids from Falkirk and alike.

I worry that we are sleeping walking into what we have spent 10 years trying to avoid... high player turnover. We are at risk of losing quality players and replacing them with average players which I believe would trigger our demise.

We currently have a prevalence of quality or potentially quality players:

McNamara, Kerr, Gordon, McCart and McCann head up that list.

The problem is two fold, not only could these guys be in high demand, if we don’t move soon to extent their contract, they could leave for nothing. 

My argument therefore goes something like: we MUST use finite resources that we currently have to invest in extending the contracts of Jason Kerr, Liam Gordon, Jamie McCart and Ali McCann.

Unfortunately there probably hasn't been a more uncertain time re budgets etc since we we fulltime in 1990.  I don't envy Steve Brown just now.

We will surely lose McCann at some point. Just hope we get decent money for him.