New left back

geoff was right!!

If we win the league this season we've done it with 10 men. You can't argue with that.

not the point.....especially when a position was identified and acknowledged as so by the manager........and b4 we all rant about trying this and that and players identified didnt want to come or had better offers......it was the manager who "wanted" that slot filled.........when we win the league and go up will we still be searching fo a LB and accepting on-loan players ?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck to the boy, hope he does well for us. I notice Del states that he reaches he criteria for a left back being at least 6ft tall, anyone any idea why Del requires a left back to be at least 6ft tall? Its not as if they are constantly being put under aerial pressure like what a centre back would, in fact far from the majiority of right wingers a left back will be playing against will be significantly smaller than 6ft. One of the best left backs in the world at the moment is Partice Evra who is about 3ft, likewise another famous left back Roberto Carlos was about 3ft!

Im not trying to criticse Del here, just looking for thoughts on why Del is so adamant that our left back should be tall.

Most managers prefer tall full backs (or ones good in the air more importantly) so they can defend the ball to the back post.

Don't know where you're quoting from, but it may be poor grammar on Del's part or poor reporting. I believe he required a defensive full back who was big and strong, the six foot thing is merely an optional extra!

Quoting from the official site my friend - "Steven is a player I have been aware of for some time and have spoken to a number of people about so I know what I am getting. He's young, quick and aggressive and at six foot tall satifies my preference for someone with height in that position."

As i said previously i am in no way having a go at Del, i have full confidence in him. Was just looking for thoughts on why he is so adamant that a left back should be tall.

Quoting from the official site my friend - "Steven is a player I have been aware of for some time and have spoken to a number of people about so I know what I am getting. He's young, quick and aggressive and at six foot tall satifies my preference for someone with height in that position."

As i said previously i am in no way having a go at Del, i have full confidence in him. Was just looking for thoughts on why he is so adamant that a left back should be tall.

I think is a by-product of the modern game as much as its the desire to defend corners and crosses. Most managers are now convinced the modern game is about pace and power, athletes and size. The days of players called Jinky is alas over. I think he is saying I want a natural left-back that can also add power to the team. Stevn is at least that on paper. What we don't know is whether he can cut it on grass. Is Saturday the right time to find out - on balance I'd say yes - but its easier to propose risk when your fan.

Smith, Byrne, Sheerin and Craig have all been questionable in that role and have proven that this is a hellishly difficult role to fill. All those that are on Del's back probably don't appreciate how hard, and therefore how lucky we have been in past years.

(PS This is not a significant criticism of Paul Shreein who is otherwise a genius. It is a criticism of Smith and Byrne tho', who both laid calim to being left-backs)

i am gonna upset 101 and say---this is a panic move by Del at this stage of the season....we are putting in a "rookie" who hasnt been able to set the heather on fire elsewhere -surely we have better at the club.....ie Craig-Gartland-Ando.......poor statement to make re "height"......been as well signing the 7 ft 6 chinaman.

Or this guy...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-474101/New-worlds-tallest-man-stands-towering-8ft-5ins.html

but why is it panic,? del and the doc will know about this lad, they will have done there homework look how well the 2 at the coags have done, think you are wrong and of the mark!!trust in del, he would not admit at this stage, but he will allready be building his spl team, who is to say that this young lad from the old firm conveyor belt will not be part of it, i give you gary irvine as an example, he came to us as a pretty much untested at first division level, dont think he set the heather on fire at ross county, was fairly much what you might have called a panic signing, but look at him now, he would have no problem playing at spl level, infact we will do well to hold on to him!!!panic...!! i dont think so!!!

but why is it panic,? del and the doc will know about this lad, they will have done there homework look how well the 2 at the coags have done, think you are wrong and of the mark!!trust in del, he would not admit at this stage, but he will allready be building his spl team, who is to say that this young lad from the old firm conveyor belt will not be part of it, i give you gary irvine as an example, he came to us as a pretty much untested at first division level, dont think he set the heather on fire at ross county, was fairly much what you might have called a panic signing, but look at him now, he would have no problem playing at spl level, infact we will do well to hold on to him!!!panic...!! i dont think so!!!

Irvine wasn't a panic buy, it took weeks to get the deal sorted and I'd imagine Owen had his work cut out to continue the dialogue. Irvine was rated at Ross County (according to the two Staggie fans that I know) and had caught Owen's eye previously.

We have signed this kid because we failed to get our real target(s).

Hope we've got lucky, just don't build your hopes up!

This was what the Daily Record publsihed in their soccer shorts column:

"St Johnstone sign Rangers rookie Steven Kinniburgh until end of the season

Apr 1 2009

ST JOHNSTONE have moved to solve their problem left-back position by signing Rangers defender Steven Kinniburgh on loan until the end of the season.

The 20-year-old spent two months on loan at Queen of the South earlier in the campaign and Saints boss Derek McInnes said: " I have seen Steven for myself recently and he will give us another option for the last seven games."

The reason I post this old news is to to make a small point. This part of the Record is reproduced from press-releases, none of the people working on this column would know (or care) that St Johnstone had "a problem left-back position." So that must have come from the club's press statement. Reason I raise this infinitesimal point is it confirms that was the rationale behind taking Steven on loan, not his flexibility as a midfield/squad player.

Del's quote implies he 'will' play a role in games to come but will it be Saturday?

I'm getting closer to 'maybe' having been a deffo 'no' in recent days?

Any other views?

I spoke to a guy I work with today who has played for both Hibernian and Rangers, (alongside Hanlon and Kinniburgh) within the last two years, and he couldn't decide which was better out of the two. He said Hanlon is better defensively but Kinniburgh is much better offensively and is a "powerhouse" going forward.

I spoke to a guy I work with today who has played for both Hibernian and Rangers, (alongside Hanlon and Kinniburgh) within the last two years, and he couldn't decide which was better out of the two. He said Hanlon is better defensively but Kinniburgh is much better offensively and is a "powerhouse" going forward.

So we've signed a poor man's Liam Craig:?