Squad Rotation

O'Rourke

Any examples or proof?:roll:

Is being played out of position for an entire season enough for you?

Im not wanting to get into the whole 101 debate, but the way you have added the face at the end of your post , strikes me as if your just wanting him to react.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is being played out of position for an entire season enough for you?

It was hardly disrespect. I am guessing the manager asked him if he would play there and his commitment to the job hardly showed someone who was really against it much as he would rather have played n the middle..

No, we didn't have a left back and he was the best option we had. It won us the league, so it wasn't that bad a decision.

I disagree, just because we won the league, it does not correct the bad decision Del made. Craig made his biggest impact when he came in on loan and played midfield. We then signed him as a midfielder, you wouldn't hire a chef and ask them to clean the toilet.

We had a whole season to to get a left back, we suffered badly from not having one, had we obtained one, we would have destroyed the league, rather than grinding it out.

I disagree, just because we won the league, it does not correct the bad decision Del made. Craig made his biggest impact when he came in on loan and played midfield. We then signed him as a midfielder, you wouldn't hire a chef and ask them to clean the toilet.

We had a whole season to to get a left back, we suffered badly from not having one, had we obtained one, we would have destroyed the league, rather than grinding it out.

Well said, we were very lucky that it was a poor league. If we had a left back we would have racked up an extra 10/15 points last year. With craig its more about what we lost when he wasnt in position.

Still, all in the past. Come on the saints

Well said, we were very lucky that it was a poor league. If we had a left back we would have racked up an extra 10/15 points last year. With craig its more about what we lost when he wasnt in position.

I agree he one of out best midfielders and thought we lost a bit of creativity when he was a left back and missed his drive forward at times, as a result we turned into a long ball team!!

still water under the bridge

Oh c'mon its not as if they were leaking in goals.

See below

Liam Craig is an integral part of our squad and Del knows it. He will play more games than not in this 2009-2010 season. We have no "natural" cover at LB if Grainger gets injured so who knows if he will have to play there again this season. All credit to Liam for playing there last season when I am sure he would have rather been played further up the park.

Liam Craig is an integral part of our squad and Del knows it. He will play more games than not in this 2009-2010 season. We have no "natural" cover at LB if Grainger gets injured so who knows if he will have to play there again this season. All credit to Liam for playing there last season when I am sure he would have rather been played further up the park.

And for retaining his discipline when our inexplicable manager dropped him for two games in order to play d*** Byrne:confused:

The man's career at Saints has been based on sacrifice and it's time he got some respect from Del boy.

The first game at East End Park emphasised how much we were missing out on Liam in the midfield and why Del should have brought in a left back.

Everyone remembers Liam from that game for his "wonder goal" but he was turned inside out by Kevin Harper the whole of the first half. Del gambled and brought Ando on at left back (who put in a very competent looking shift) and moved Liam into the midfield.

Liam got the ball down, moved it about and gave options going forward. He then got his goal from providing an option we wouldnt have had had he still been at LB and did well to create and finish a goal from it. This particular game for me was the turning point in the season and this goal was the crux of the game.

Had he not been in the midfield our season could well have been a different story. But lo and behold, he was in at LB the following week.

Our midfield really missed Liam last season, I dont want that to happen again this season when we cant afford it to. We were lucky in a way that there was really no stiff competition in the 1st division.

As for the Celtic game.. what manager would have a wide attacking player like Swankie on the bench at Parkhead and leave out a player like Liam? In what way would Swanks have changed the game, regardless of the situation? Liam would be more likely to create a goalscoring opportunity if needed and would also be the better defensive holding option had we needed to hold on to a certain scoreline. I am always one of the first to defend Swankie when he faces criticism but this is not a criticism of Swankie, I just feel Craig is far better suited to a game like that.

Personally, I would be interested to know EXACTLY why Liam was dropped

The man's career at Saints has been based on sacrifice and it's time he got some respect from Del boy.

Good to see Del's astute mangement worked, Craig needed a wake-up call, glad he was back to something like form at Arbroath. Needs to be reminded he is not an SPL regular yet.

Well done Del. Another piece of managerial excellence.

Good to see Del's astute mangement worked, Craig needed a wake-up call, glad he was back to something like form at Arbroath. Needs to be reminded he is not an SPL regular yet.

Well done Del. Another piece of managerial excellence.

I havent had time to check last year's team lists but didnt Craig get dropped mid-season even though he had been many people's star performer early on? He seemed to fade away a bit but when he came back into the team he seemed to be back to his best. Apologies if my memory fails me on this but I seem to remember at the time that it was puzzling at first but then turned out to be an excellent decision by Del.

Anyway, dropping a player or playing a player out of position does not, of itself, constitute 'disrespect'. Football is a team game, the manager is in charge and there are going to be plenty of times when players disagree with decisions - that's for them to live with. Even if Del was culpable for not finding a leftback sooner (and I dont think that this is the case, personally), asking Craig to play there is not disrespectful. The manager is not there to simply ensure that each individual player's ambitions are fulfilled - the manager is there to ensure the team's and club's success.

I havent had time to check last year's team lists but didnt Craig get dropped mid-season even though he had been many people's star performer early on? He seemed to fade away a bit but when he came back into the team he seemed to be back to his best. Apologies if my memory fails me on this but I seem to remember at the time that it was puzzling at first but then turned out to be an excellent decision by Del.

Anyway, dropping a player or playing a player out of position does not, of itself, constitute 'disrespect'. Football is a team game, the manager is in charge and there are going to be plenty of times when players disagree with decisions - that's for them to live with. Even if Del was culpable for not finding a leftback sooner (and I dont think that this is the case, personally), asking Craig to play there is not disrespectful. The manager is not there to simply ensure that each individual player's ambitions are fulfilled - the manager is there to ensure the team's and club's success.

Totally agree nor is pragmatism a sign of disrespect either most the young players required on bench in SPL v Celtic dropped out of contention - rotation is a managerial must.

Liam was played out of position for a large part of last year, that is perfectly acceptable. Liam Craig was inexplicably dropped from starting XI for two consecutive games (? home and Clyde away) to make way for Byrne!

He got very little game time in pre-season yet impressed whenever he was given his chance. He looked good against Motherwell (albeit on TV) yet he gets dropped, completely dropped, for the most important squad of the year so far...

He was exceptional last night.

McInnes is a great coach, but as a man manager...he has a lot to answer for.

Shouldn't have to explain every decision to the media.

True, but he was very terse and he has never given such an answer previously. He knows it was a mistake and got defensive as a result.

Evidence would be good. Craig seemed happy enough in interviews prior to Celtic game.

Good lad and a professional. I would expect nothing less.

• 1 month later...