Critical Moments Hurt Saints

soulfulsaint

This post is about 'moments' in a game when teams are vulnerable.

One theory is that a goal on the stroke of half-time has a greater psychological impact on the game. Some managers say you can score 'too early'. Others say that the team that scores first in extra-time will win?

This season I have noticed two crucial moments - away at Ibrox and yesterday at home to Celtic. Mistakes were made within seconds of the whistle and both involved Graham Gartland. He conceded possession and Rangers scored within seconds of the start of the game. Then was sent off against Celtic within seconds of the re-start. In both cases we all but collapsed.

Are goals conceded in the first minutes of either half, a result of poor attention. Are more goals scored as teams tire, in the last 10minutes?

Do the statistics tell us anything about Saints?

I always remeber being told that you are more likley to score in the first five minutes of either half as this is the critical point where players are settling in and not concentrating.

As for Gartland being involved twice now in such sittuations worries me to be honest. I hope he doesn't continue this and get a reputation for being bit of a donkey.

This season Saints have scored 1 goal between 45-55 minutes and conceded 6.

Out of the 6 games winning at half time, yesterday was the first loss with 3 wins and 2 draws.

In 12 games where Saints were drawing or losing at halftime the record is 2-2-8.

I think it goes without saying when you concede a goal just after halftime it is probably the worst time to concede, even worse than before halftime.

aye, that Garters is a diddy.

Ando also has a bit of a reputation for cock ups and Rusty is Rusty..

Caff and MacKay I would like to see. Think caff might be a level below what we are at the moment though.

Caffs solid as a rock.. I have yet to see him let us down. Not something I can say about Rusty, Gartland and Ando..#

Caff and Cup-tie = Ghosties CB dream team...:D

This season Saints have scored 1 goal between 45-55 minutes and conceded 6.

Out of the 6 games winning at half time, yesterday was the first loss with 3 wins and 2 draws.

In 12 games where Saints were drawing or losing at halftime the record is 2-2-8.

I think it goes without saying when you concede a goal just after halftime it is probably the worst time to concede, even worse than before halftime.

Thanks Inex. The 6 goals conceded between the 45-55 mins is a worry. Defenders sleeping at corners, set pieces and at the start of halfs equally so.

aye, that Garters is a diddy.

Take your stand-up to the Hammersmith Apollo. Garters is a super defender and we are lucky to have him. He sacrificed himself yesterday and took a yellow to prevent a goal following a rash moment from Cup Tie. They make a very good pairing. Garters organises us very well at defensive set plays, allowing Jody to concentrate on the attacking set plays. Criticism of him is generally based on his disciplinary record and that is both wrong and daft.

Take your stand-up to the Hammersmith Apollo. Garters is a super defender and we are lucky to have him. He sacrificed himself yesterday and took a yellow to prevent a goal following a rash moment from Cup Tie. They make a very good pairing. Garters organises us very well at defensive set plays, allowing Jody to concentrate on the attacking set plays. Criticism of him is generally based on his disciplinary record and that is both wrong and daft.

He's prone to ocassional costly lapses, much as our other CBs, with the notable exception of MacKay and McCaffrey.

Having said that he has shown signs of improvement and will be missed.

It would be good to have Caff in the mix for midweek.

He's prone to ocassional costly lapses, much as our other CBs, with the notable exception of MacKay and McCaffrey.

Having said that he has shown signs of improvement and will be missed.

It would be good to have Caff in the mix for midweek.

If you settle for such as Caff, you settle for SFL1. He's a journeyman. Garters has skippered a team in European competition and I think he also has a European goal to his credit. He hurts forwards and marshalls far better than Caff.

You say Mackay is a notable exception, yet his rash tackles cost Garters his yellow on Sunday. Three times he got badly caught out by rushing into a tackle on Sunday.

If you settle for such as Caff, you settle for SFL1. He's a journeyman. Garters has skippered a team in European competition and I think he also has a European goal to his credit. He hurts forwards and marshalls far better than Caff.

You say Mackay is a notable exception, yet his rash tackles cost Garters his yellow on Sunday. Three times he got badly caught out by rushing into a tackle on Sunday.

GTF you. So it's terrible to bad mouth Swankie and yet it is perfectly acceptable to do the same to Caff..

What about Caffs confidence?? He's a journeyman.. That's a ****ing disgraceful way to treat a guy who has never let us down...

Double standards again Gordy.. Not on mate..

GTF you. So it's terrible to bad mouth Swankie and yet it is perfectly acceptable to do the same to Caff..

What about Caffs confidence?? He's a journeyman.. That's a ****ing disgraceful way to treat a guy who has never let us down...

Double standards again Gordy.. Not on mate..

Wait a minute, I know this one, erm it rhymes with right and it's part of the process used to to devour food...

Ah, yes BITE! Sorry mate, you'll need to try harder than that.

I've never said that swankie can't be criticised, I simply expect the criticism to be justified. Caff does the simple things well and nothing else. Gartland can score, can ruffle up the big boys, can organise and has good experience. He is also the only left footed centre back at our club. Caff is a very good reserve and a nice lad. Really good sort of boy to have at the club but he's not a patch on Cup Tie, Garters or Ando.

Gartland can score

Shame he can't put them away at other sports!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Wait a minute, I know this one, erm it rhymes with right and it's part of the process used to to devour food...

Ah, yes BITE! Sorry mate, you'll need to try harder than that.

I've never said that swankie can't be criticised, I simply expect the criticism to be justified. Caff does the simple things well and nothing else. Gartland can score, can ruffle up the big boys, can organise and has good experience. He is also the only left footed centre back at our club. Caff is a very good reserve and a nice lad. Really good sort of boy to have at the club but he's not a patch on Cup Tie, Garters or Ando.

Gartland 1 goal in 27 games..

McCaffery 4 goals in 41 games

So that statement is bollocks

Gartland ..7 yellows and 1 red card in 19 games this season..

McCaffery 2 yellows in 13 games this season.

That tells me that Caff is a good enough player that he does not need to resort to fouling to stop the opposition..

As for not being as good as Ando.. That's laughable..Did you see him at Ibrox.

Sorry Gordy but the facts say different..

Gartland 1 goal in 27 games..

McCaffery 4 goals in 41 games

So that statement is bollocks

McCaffery 2 yellows in 13 games this season.

That tells me that Caff is a good enough player that he does not need to resort to fouling to stop the opposition..

As for not being as good as Ando.. That's laughable..Did you see him at Ibrox.

Sorry Gordy but the facts say different..

You dinnae seem to keen the difference between facts and stats; actually even yir stats aren't very good.

I admit that Caff has scored more goals but I also suspect that the goals and games you've listed for Caff are appearances for Saints as opposed to SPL appearances for Saints. Essentially, you're trying to compare sex with kissing.

Garts has had a lot of bookings, no doubts. However, some of them have come whilst protecting his team mates. has McCaffrey had 13 starts or 13 appearances?

Yes, Ando was honking at Ibrox and poor on Sunday but the boy is a very good centre back. He actually came onto a game on Sunday, but overall he was poor.

Been there done that! :laugh:

Takes you three days to get to the green tho :cool:

Good to see that Gartland is beginning to get some positives.......Very unlucky to walk yesterday (poor refereeing decision).

Has put his body on the line week in week out and he isnt scared to give it a go even if it results in Yellow/Red.

PS ..that picture of COLLUM with the whistle had been staged -it wasnt true .

You dinnae seem to keen the difference between facts and stats; actually even yir stats aren't very good.

I admit that Caff has scored more goals but I also suspect that the goals and games you've listed for Caff are appearances for Saints as opposed to SPL appearances for Saints. Essentially, you're trying to compare sex with kissing.

Garts has had a lot of bookings, no doubts. However, some of them have come whilst protecting his team mates. has McCaffrey had 13 starts or 13 appearances?

Yes, Ando was honking at Ibrox and poor on Sunday but the boy is a very good centre back. He actually came onto a game on Sunday, but overall he was poor.

This season ...

McCaffery 2 yellows in 13 games this season. (11 starts, 2 subs)

Facts...( this actually happened)

And just to make it clear, I think Gartland is a decent player, just not quite to the level of Caff.

This season ...

McCaffery 2 yellows in 13 games this season. (11 starts, 2 subs)

Facts...( this actually happened)

And just to make it clear, I think Gartland is a decent player, just not quite to the level of Caff.

NOT YET........But he will be

It's one of those moments that all forumers hate, when you have to admit you agree with 101 Saint on something. I really like Gartland and think McCaffrey is a very good First Division defender but that we could strive to do better at this level. I don't like saying that about any player that gives their all but he's not really shown much this season for me.

Gartland fully merits the faith McInnes has in him IMO and I'd probably pick the other three (Rutkiewicz, Mackay, Anderson) centre backs ahead of McCaffrey now.

It's one of those moments that all forumers hate, when you have to admit you agree with 101 Saint on something. I really like Gartland and think McCaffrey is a very good First Division defender but that we could strive to do better at this level. I don't like saying that about any player that gives their all but he's not really shown much this season for me.

Gartland fully merits the faith McInnes has in him IMO and I'd probably pick the other three (Rutkiewicz, Mackay, Anderson) centre backs ahead of McCaffrey now.

I'd never pick Dinky ahead of Caff.

Dinky has really been shown up this season. He won me over last season, easily my player of the year - mostly for his transformation from diddy to hero. I don't know his personal circumstances but he admitted, very candidly, that he controlled the booze and his play was much better last season than previously. Sadly, his play has deteriorated back to the level of when he first joined us.

The Scottish Cup 3rd Round tie against Rangers at Muirton in the eighties. Redford equaliser in what...sixth minute of injury time? Not so much a psychological impact on the game but how many saints fans and players that afternoon just "knew" that they were going to get that goal ! It does make a difference.