Scotland game last night

Nuggets

Try living near Hampden and tell me the same. Obviously not all Scotland fans or people who say they're in the Tartan Army do this. But a signifcant number have and always will be drunken, xenophobic idiots. True this could be said of any set of fans, but it is certainly noticeable with Scotland fans.

And living near Hampden you'll be able to confirm that this never happens on Cup Final days many of them involving Rangers and Celtic whose fans are amongst the most angelic, law abiding, tolerant fans in the whole wide world and you therefore only really notice it when the Scotland fans come around.

Dundee Utd v Ross County would have passed off completely without incident in May of course

Aye right!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And living near Hampden you'll be able to confirm that this never happens on Cup Final days many of them involving Rangers and Celtic whose fans are amongst the most angelic, law abiding, tolerant fans in the whole wide world and you therefore only really notice it when the Scotland fans come around.

Dundee Utd v Ross County would have passed off completely without incident in May of course

Aye right!

I actually only moved in last month so I'll get back to you next year. Football fans in general are morons but the topic was about the Scotland game. Hence why the comment was about Scotland fans funnily enough. If you want I shall give you a blow by blow account of every football fan I see that acts this way in future. As for booing the Anthem, it is clearly moronic and no I don't boo when Rangers sing God save the Queen as it is Britain's national anthem. I have booed when they sing Sectarian songs but that's another matter. There are a huge number of Scottish fans and indeed Scottish people who have a chip on their shoulder with regards to England. Oh and what about the great Scottish fans that against Czech Rep in March booed Iwelumo's name when it was announced and cheered Boyd's?

I actually only moved in last month so I'll get back to you next year. Football fans in general are morons but the topic was about the Scotland game. Hence why the comment was about Scotland fans funnily enough. If you want I shall give you a blow by blow account of every football fan I see that acts this way in future. As for booing the Anthem, it is clearly moronic and no I don't boo when Rangers sing God save the Queen as it is Britain's national anthem. I have booed when they sing Sectarian songs but that's another matter. There are a huge number of Scottish fans and indeed Scottish people who have a chip on their shoulder with regards to England. Oh and what about the great Scottish fans that against Czech Rep in March booed Iwelumo's name when it was announced and cheered Boyd's?

So we'll agree that your first post on this thread was nonsense and Scotland fans are no worse than any other fans.

If one boos a national anthem, they not only insult the players on the field (both teams) but they insult all of the people represented by those players (both countries).

Having said that, I would be tempted to boo "Flower of Scotland". What a pitiful song when we are represented by something that happened 6,000,000 or so years ago. If that is all we have to celebrate, then we are in bad shape.

I'd rather have Anie Lennox in her red leather bra singing almost anything.

Smudge

If one boos a national anthem, they not only insult the players on the field (both teams) but they insult all of the people represented by those players (both countries).

Nonsense. Its the crowd having a we bit of a laugh at there football rivals down the road, Lichtenstein and it's population have very little to do with it, other than an unfortunate choice of national anthem. :wink:

When will people understand that it is possible to engaging in demonstrative acts of football rivalry does not mean that they are "anti-English", ""anti-Lichtenstiener" or "Xenophobic?".

A national anthem is just a stupid song, and why people take any of that nationalistic stuff seriously is seriously beyond me. I'd actually quite like it if the English booed Flower of Scotland, it would just add to the theatricality of the event!

Football = Pantomime

Dear SaintJason the all mighty master of the English language,

I was not being xenophobic towards anyone. Merely picked some footage of international football violence that was relatively recent to prove the point that people booing was nothing in comparison. And yes you could use footage of a minority of Spanish racially abusing black English players to prove the same point, but that was not the first thing that came to mind. Would you have had such a pathetic dig if the title of the clip said German football hooligans? I very much doubt it.

And so what if I spelt one single word incorrectly. Stop trying to be We Are Perth's resident English teacher.

You are ridiculously condescending to others at times on this forum and you know it.

You're best chum in the whole wide world

SaintDougie

Funny, I always thought a forum was a place for deabte and exchanging ideas. Clearly I am incorrect. I don't really post that much anymore as it appears to have been taken over by tedious bores. Anyway, to begin, as the medium used here is the English language, it may be advantageous if you could use it correctly. Avoids confusion and misinterpretation.

Regardless of what youtube clip you had picked it would have had no effect on my opinion. Two wrongs don't make a right amigo. And yes, a full scale battle is not the same as booing a national anthem, but both are equally pathetic. As is singing Sound of Music songs at a football match.

You didn't answer my question regarding your choice of footage incidentally. Mere coincidence you chose England fans, or another great example of that charming Scottish tradition of blaming England every time something goes wrong?

Makes one swell with national pride so it does.

Anyway, have fun. I have better things to do than post here. The best posters on things St. Johnstone related are all on Pie and Bovril anyway. Fact. To quote ice cream man Duncan, "and for the that reason, I'm out."

At least you got the Edinburgh Saints section out of me, and thanks to others, two cracking days out in Dundee. One league (almost) secured, and a nice wee cup! Good luck in the future. Funny how life imitates art isn't it? Clique toon; clique forum.

Adieu.

p.s. you missed a comma out between "forum" and "and".

Funny, I always thought a forum was a place for deabte and exchanging ideas. Clearly I am incorrect. I don't really post that much anymore as it appears to have been taken over by tedious bores. Anyway, to begin, as the medium used here is the English language, it may be advantageous if you could use it correctly. Avoids confusion and misinterpretation.

Regardless of what youtube clip you had picked it would have had no effect on my opinion. Two wrongs don't make a right amigo. And yes, a full scale battle is not the same as booing a national anthem, but both are equally pathetic. As is singing Sound of Music songs at a football match.

You didn't answer my question regarding your choice of footage incidentally. Mere coincidence you chose England fans, or another great example of that charming Scottish tradition of blaming England every time something goes wrong?

Makes one swell with national pride so it does.

Anyway, have fun. I have better things to do than post here. The best posters on things St. Johnstone related are all on Pie and Bovril anyway. Fact. To quote ice cream man Duncan, "and for the that reason, I'm out."

At least you got the Edinburgh Saints section out of me, and thanks to others, two cracking days out in Dundee. One league (almost) secured, and a nice wee cup! Good luck in the future. Funny how life imitates art isn't it? Clique toon; clique forum.

Adieu.

p.s. you missed a comma out between "forum" and "and".[/QUOTE]

:)

Credit where credit's due, that did amuse me some what. All the best

Anyway, to begin, as the medium used here is the English language, it may be advantageous if you could use it correctly. Avoids confusion and misinterpretation.

Fair enough - nice contention......

Two wrongs don't make a right amigo.
Hang on, Is "Amigo" even English?

And yes, a full scale battle is not the same as booing a national anthem
Starting a sentence with a conjunction is terrible English grammar.

As is singing Sound of Music songs at a football match.
Whoops! Again!

Adieu.
Definitely not English.

p.s. you missed a comma out between "forum" and "and".

Silly him........ :roll:

Amigo is Italian.

Adieu is French.

The writing style is conversational.

The spelling is correct.

Love those rolling eyes. School off today is it?

That is all.

Slán agat....that's Irish gaelic.

Toll............that is too.

Nope. Just love it when and a pedant and a hypocrite gets unstuck, that's all.

Its just a bit rich picking someone up on a tiny spelling mistake and the using "conversational" (i.e. bad) grammar, that's all.

Anyway, I thought you had picked your toys up and taken them of to P&B?

:roll: <- Just for you.

Nope. Just love it when and a pedant and a hypocrite gets unstuck, that's all.

Its just a bit rich picking someone up on a tiny spelling mistake and the using "conversational" (i.e. bad) grammar, that's all.

Anyway, I thought you had picked your toys up and taken them of to P&B?

:roll: <- Just for you.

Work in progress amico (that's Italian).

I think the criticism was more on the inherent xenophobia of the post rather than the grammar (that just annoyed me, and, YES, appeals to my pedantry).

It's the general level of post(er) on here that irks more than anything else. WAP has become about as interesting as Perth city centre on a wet sunday morning in November. Ironically, you actually come across as witty, amusing and entertaining. At least on P&B you can bait St. Midden and Dundee fans. Actually AT MOST on P&B you can bait St. Midden and Dundee fans!

Blimey! I am having an epiphany! Perhaps I am just no longer interested in grown men wearing shorts and running aimlessly anymore?

Edited by saint jason

You are joking right? Flower of Scotland is spine-tingling. Perhaps you havn't actually listened to the words, or perhaps you did and refused to create any imagery in your mind. Either way, you are wrong.

It is a song though.

It is not a national anthem.

Why do events 696 years ago have an relevance to Scotland today?

So we'll agree that your first post on this thread was nonsense and Scotland fans are no worse than any other fans.

Not quite. I commented on what I expect from Scotland fans. I gave a response based on a significant proportion of the Scottish fans. While you're on your high horse are you going to claim you've never done this with the Old Firm fans? Never mouthed of about what they're like? I can't be bothered checking through past threads but I dare say it wouldn't take long.

Not quite. I commented on what I expect from Scotland fans. I gave a response based on a significant proportion of the Scottish fans. While you're on your high horse are you going to claim you've never done this with the Old Firm fans? Never mouthed of about what they're like? I can't be bothered checking through past threads but I dare say it wouldn't take long.

You might well be right but like you I can't be bothered checking. Thing is though I don't consider myself to be an Old Firm supporter!!