Belated Devastation

johndb

Having recently read Jim Slater's excellent book Who' Who of St J I am crushed to learn the fate of my massive boyhood hero Henry Hall - Let go on a free to the Arabs! I had lost touch with the saints having moved to edinburgh and no internet etc then - info was scarce. I pored over my dad's Scotsman's sport pages every day yet hardly a mention, same on sunday I suppose there was the odd match report in the Post. This explains that when I went to see them play Hearts at Tynecastle in the 70's that I hardly recognised the team. And it was about the team, not one man, Aird, Connolly, Aitken, Muir and Hall what a forward line.. And thanks to Willie they were fitter than fiddles! Blue blurs all game long!

Will we ever see their like again?

Hard game the day vs Motherwell COYS.

On 12/12/2023 at 10:14 PM, johndb said:

No, I believe Henry was the total solution to Saints back then. Even though my mum taunted us about a big band leader managing!

Remove him and the spell is broken, remove any of the others and I wouldn't be so sure.

A big band leader…?  My boyhood hero…? Shoorly not…😘

Edited by henryhallsdanceband

I never saw him play but I had the pleasure of interviewing Henry Hall for the BH fanzine a few years back. Very nice man to chat to. He spoke about how things had changed a lot towards the end of his playing days at Saints and he felt the club was starting to go "into the doldrums" (I think was the phrase he used). His senses were obviously right as he left for Dundee United in 1975/76 and we finished bottom of the league that season, whereas United stayed up (albeit narrowly, on goal difference).

He was back at Saints as a youth coach when I spoke to him, though I've just realised to my horror that even that was 23 years ago now. According to Wikipedia he left the club when we were relegated in 2002, and went on to manage Montrose for a couple of years.