St Johnstone Women - Match at McDiarmid

sjfc99

Next Wednesday 1st May St Johnstone Women have their first match on the main pitch at McDiarmid, a 7.45 kick off against Queen's Park - who have just been crowned champions of that league.

After the proposed match in November 2022 was cancelled four days prior, this will be the first time the side have played on the main pitch.

Main stand only, with season ticket holders getting in free and a cash only gate otherwise of £5 adult and £1 concessions.

It would mean a considerable amount to the players if they were to get a decent support in that night.

Saints lost 1-0 to Queen's Park (who are champions of the division and looked a really strong side), but put on a performance to be proud of and were unlucky not to get anything from the game. Brilliant crowd with nearly 500 people showing up and generating a great atmosphere.

That was the most I've enjoyed a game at McDiarmid in a long, long time and so refreshing to see a Saints team absolutely busting a gut to chase after every ball and get stuck into every tackle. You could tell it really meant something to the players. Real pity the men's team weren't there to watch it as I think they might have learned something.

Oh and the lack of VAR really helped as well. Remember when games just used to carry on without endless baffling stoppages?

Really hope Saints will view last night as a big success and be encouraged to do more of these in the future. Felt to me like there was a real opportunity to build the crowds for these if they were to become a semi-regular thing (although I appreciate the pitch issue is always going to be an obstacle).