Burley Burley GTF

25e Ainslie Place

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at the game in cardiff and in truth it was a dreadful peformance barring the first 10 minutes or so. Bad to hear some idiots singing the "burley out" chants before the game even kicked off but after the game i was even joining in with the burley gtf songs as it was a pitiful performance and result. In burleys defence he is a nice guy with not the best bounch of players at his disposal as the performance from the chuckle brothers (gary caldwell and steve mcmanus) were woeful and showed what a limited pool of players we have, but his team selection was poor i think as graham dorrans is in no way a centre midfielder and stevie fletcher played extrememely well against man city last weekend for burley and somehow was left sitting on the bench behind kenny miller :s just didnt make sense to me unless he had a slight niggle.

P.S. it was the first time i have ever heard " sack the board " sang at an international match.

Edited by Arsenal_Saintee
Forgetful mind.

I'd maybe make an attempt to go in for Roy Hodgson, not sure if he's signed a new deal at Fulham yet. Obviously it'll never happen but he'd be my pick. He's good at working with limited talent and has plenty international experience

I said exactly the same thing to someone at work this morning - I think Hodgson would be a superb choice and I'd love to see the SFA go for him. He knows the international game, he's coached and been successful all over Europe, and he knows how to organise a team and get fairly average players playing above themselves. If you're right about Stark, though, that would bring to an end what dwindling interest I have left in the Scotland team. Fortunately, I really don't think he'll be in the frame - predominantly because he's sh*t.

Sky Sports News showed the list of bookies favourites for the job this morning, and it was a massively uninspiring list to say the least, with guys like Craig Levein and Joe Jordan (both of whom have inferior records to Burley) near the top. God knows why Joe Jordan still gets mentioned every time this job comes up anyway. I really don't see the point in getting rid of Burley only to give it to someone like one of those two - I'd only make the change if it was possible to bring in someone who actually has relevant international experience. I also don't think that doing a reasonable job with an SPL club is anywhere near good enough a qualification for getting the Scotland job.

Also have to say I'm extremely annoyed that, just at a time when we had a Scotland manager who genuinely appeared to be giving some serious consideration to calling up a couple of Saints players, that manager now looks like he's going to be sacked. I'd happily see Scotland stick with Burley if it means a cap or two for Morris and/or Davidson.

Burley is simply being used as a scapegoat.

The SFA have let our game fall into disrepair and we truely are a shambles of a side. Burley had no choice but to look for scraps of useful players.

The media will never leave Burley alone as coach and now his position is unworkable.

If I was a manager in any half decent job I wouldn't touch the job with a barge-pole. There is nearly nothing to work with.

Funny with regards to Hodgson, it was exactly who I was thinking would be the perfect man for the job. Just look at Fuhlam now, he has a very average group of players, but has them playing at their best. His international record is also fantastic. The SFA though won't even consider him (doubt he would come anyway!).

I would personally go for Craig Levein, but I have a sneaky suspision it will be Gary McCallister with Craig Brown as his assistant.

I would go along the lines of what the FA did before appointing Capello, they got a panel of 12 men together and gathered the opinions of each man and there view of taking the team forward, and ultimately who they would appoint. (Hodgson was actually one of the panel)

Accept the big wigs in the SFA know hee-haw and get the likes of Sir Alex, Moyes, Craig Brown etc involved in choosing the next gaffer.

Burley is simply being used as a scapegoat.

I defended Burley once we were out of qualification but his team selection on Saturday was terrible - Fox, Caldo and McManus have been thoroughly unconvincing for Celtic. Kenny Miller needs to seriously consider his International future - how long can he go on miss extremely easy chances? Darren Fletcher is a superb player but is not captain material and is relied on to dictate the pace of the game - he cannot do this as his game is to break up play and give the ball to his centre mid partner who can play the pass (usually Carrick at Man Utd).

There is some mileage in the fact that the quality of players for Scotland is very poor but picking the wrong team does Burley no favours.

Accept the big wigs in the SFA know hee-haw and get the likes of Sir Alex, Moyes, Craig Brown etc involved in choosing the next gaffer.

I think the last time SAF was consulted we ended up with Berti Voghts.

Not in the least bit surprised at the news, and can't say I'm disappointed.

While our current position is far from being entirely Burley's fault he hasn't done much to help the cause, but I do feel for him a bit as he was clearly the proudest man in the world when he was first appointed and I don't doubt he will be hurting more than anyone, especially when listening to the GTF chants on Saturday. However, I think even he realised he couldn't carry on.

Unfortunately, there is nobody who can sack Smith, Peat et al. Turkey's don't vote for Xmas and I can't see any of them willing to walk away - I don't think any of them realise they're a massive part of the problem.

S.F.A should push the boat out and get fergie in for his last years as a manager and get scotland back playing wth passion and pride and least of all RESPECT for the MANAGER AND FANS

Fergie wants another Champions league, he's not daft enough to leave the best job in the world for Scotland, it's almost like dumping a supermodel for a junkie with nae teeth.

Walter Smith is my bet, I can't see him staying with Rangers now their financial position is clear. He's out of contract at the end of January too

Unfortunately I think you might be right. My heart says "**** that, he's a judas" but my head says "he's a safe bet, just forget the past!"

Not the most popular choice with the fans because of his nationality but I would give Roy Hodgson a shot at it. Done a good job with Switzerland, been over the course in Italy, doing a great job at Fulham. Both the Swiss and Fulham successes have been acheived with limited resources, would command the respect of the players straight away.

If it has to be a Scottish manager you can forget Fergie this season, Smith should never be considered again after the way he walked out on us in the past and we've missed out on Strachan now so I would say the only decent candidate that would have the respect of all and be given a chance would be Joe Jordan.

Unfortunately I think you might be right. My heart says "**** that, he's a judas" but my head says "he's a safe bet, just forget the past!"

My thoughts are that the reason SFA moved so fast is that they have tapped up Smith seeing as he is out of contract in January.fecking hope not but who to feck would want it.

Former Saints managers have done quite well for Scotland though.