Sainsburys

NeilSJFC

As they have committed to making the road wider etc to help traffic issues and probably pledged money towards the new road at the back of the north stand they will get approval on the basis of jobs - both during the construction and once the shops as 450 part/full time is roughly 1% of Perths population!

Along with the selling local produce and wanting to compete with Tesco their will be some form of price war which is only good for our pockets!

And the old market isnt really much use now with most agriculture sales taking place at a new purpose built facility near Stirling!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they will get approval on the basis of jobs - both during the construction and once the shops as 450 part/full time is roughly 1% of Perths population!

Along with the selling local produce and wanting to compete with Tesco their will be some form of price war which is only good for our pockets!

And the old market isnt really much use now with most agriculture sales taking place at a new purpose built facility near Stirling!

The 450 new job thing is complete rubbish. You need to remember that there can't be 450 new jobs appearing out of nowhere.

Sainsburys will take business away from other stores (many of them locally owned), who will, in turn, have to make redundancies themselves.

The net total of jobs will be much lower.

It annoys the hell out of me when people think that all of this additional business will be conjoured up out of nothing and other businesses won't suffer as a result. Do they think that everyone will suddenly start buying more groceries every week?

Its all basic economics - supply and demand. Demand will stay the same, its supply that will be increasing.

There maybe a tiny percentage increase in people coming to shop in Perth as a result of Sainsburys, other than other towns in Scotland, but it will only be a tiny percentage increase and yet again it'll be local village and small town shops that suffer as a result.

As for a local price war, I'm afraid it ain't happening. Prices are generally set on a national rather than a local level.

I am in favour of them opening, but only because I hate TESCO's modus operandi and I hate ASDA because of their Wallmart ownership. Sainsbury's may stop people using either of these stores.

Local business will continue to suffer though.

Edited by Pop

What locally owned business are left that will loose their customers to Sainsbury?

Local business will always suffer - has done since internet shopping..........

Having the Sainsbury on this site will be good for business, as with the other thread regarding the stand removal/road improvements this will be a selling point for the expansion of this area of town/inveralmond area.

What locally owned business are left that will loose their customers to Sainsbury?

Local business will always suffer - has done since internet shopping..........

Having the Sainsbury on this site will be good for business, as with the other thread regarding the stand removal/road improvements this will be a selling point for the expansion of this area of town/inveralmond area.

Speak to the Perth Chamber of Commerce. There are literally hundreds of local business who have there toes stepped on by the supermarkets. Another will make the situation a little worse.

Edited by Pop

I always thought a bridge over the tay towards scone would of came first.

Seems to be put well on the back burner for the council

The first plans didn't happen because the Earl of Mansfield didn't want to give up any of his land. I think there is another plan for a new bridge up near redgorton but again not suree what has happened wtih that. Will depend on whoever owns the land up there if they are happy for compo and how those near by will react.