Isnt it time........

lethamsaintee

Sorry, but where and when exactly did he say this? This is exactly the sort of tiresome rubbish that pisses me off about some saints fans. You seem to be implying that we have some sort of divine right to be doing much better than we currently are. Can i ask why? In reality we're a relatively small provincial club, whose proper place is probably near the bottom of the SPL or at the top of the first, with the odd fantastic season where we qualify for Europe etc.

Do you want our board to suddenly start spunking money around like its going out of fashion? Sure it might be exciting for one season, but then you end up like Dundee, struggling for survival, because you're spending far more than is coming in. In any case, it seems to me that we have pushed the boat out a bit financially this season - I can't imagine players like Milne and Scotland are earning 200 quid a week.

As for our declining support, you're right that is a problem, but attendances are down throughout Scottish football, its not just a problem we have. When all kids see on the TV is Chelsea, Man U, Arsenal, Rangers, Celtic etc, its not hard to understand why they wouldn't be that keen to come and see Saints v Stranraer on a freezing saturday in November. Perth's never exactly been a hotbed of football anyway, yet when we do start to do better, as I'm sure we will do under Coyle, the crowds will go back up.

brown said in a recent interview that the club could survive through its commercial activities alone and in essence could manage without any bums on seats.

i realise that we are a small provincial club and all i am asking is progression, we are at the same stage as we were under billy stark a couple of years ago yet people are happy now.

and no i am not saying we should expect the board to start spunking money around but they should begin to listen to people who are willing to invest in the club. at hamilton its the directors own money being used. in that respect they give nothing - the only times brown has given the club money it was a loan, which he got back with interest. remember all he did with the asda deal was broker it, it never cost him anything and all the good that has come to the club has been from the outside - the donation of the land by farmer mcdiarmid etc.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What evidence do you have for that statement? Tell me who? If you can supply some facts then I will be on your side.

it is common knowledge that ann gloag was prepared to invest in the club, yet through a personal fall - out with brown many years ago this has been denied.

as i said earlier wiseman was prepared to invest 5 million into the club, this comes from a good source that i would not let slip.

the solution is simple, allow investors to invest! over the years there has been people willing to put there own money into the club and the board have denied people that chance.

Are you basing this on fact or rumour, lethamsaintee? GB has continually said that the Wiseman story is a load of tosh and quite simply never happened. He's also said on more than one occasion that he'd be happy to step down if the right offer came in, but in his whole time at the club there's only been one piece of interest, and that was from someone who he suspected only wanted to get their hands on the land McDiarmid is on.

I totally agree that Geoff should not be immune from all criticism, but you don't really seem to be suggesting anything constructive. It always amazes me when people say things like "Geoff should go". How can he just "go"? He needs someone to buy the club from him before he can do that, and I think we should all be very aware of the fact that, in the hands of someone else, there could be all sorts of disastrous consequences. Just look at the way so many other clubs have been run in recent seasons (although I would have to concede that administration doesn't appear to be as bad as it is portrayed, and certainly didn't seem to do Motherwell much harm - plus Livi are still in the SPL and the Coags aren't doing much worse than us).

Of course I'm not happy to be a middle-ranking First Division club for evermore, but the recent change of manager and decision to give Coyle a decent wage budget to spend proves that GB does still have ambitions for the club. However, he and the board decided to give the job to a man with next to no management experience and, while we'd all have loved to run away with the league this season, we have to be realistic and say that the guy is going to need time to learn his trade.

By the way, you mention that you think the fans should be standing up in some way to be noticed - well there was an after-match protest arranged a couple of years ago and hardly anyone turned up!!

Its all very well moaning but please say something constructive. If you bring a problem to the table please also bring a solution.

Saints are and probably always will be a provincial up and down club. We have no divine right to be in the SPL. But we do have a right to expect that the board manage the club well enough to keep us in existence.

As for Perth being a big place, since when? Last I read the population is less than 45K so when we were getting 4.5K the we were getting 10% of the population, approximately the same as the Old Firm.

45 000 is a bigish town so why cant we attract people from the town and other places around? why because other clubs make an attempt to lure young fans to come to games by offering them incentives! we hit then with hefty prices !

Are you basing this on fact or rumour, lethamsaintee? GB has continually said that the Wiseman story is a load of tosh and quite simply never happened. He's also said on more than one occasion that he'd be happy to step down if the right offer came in, but in his whole time at the club there's only been one piece of interest, and that was from someone who he suspected only wanted to get their hands on the land McDiarmid is on.

I totally agree that Geoff should not be immune from all criticism, but you don't really seem to be suggesting anything constructive. It always amazes me when people say things like "Geoff should go". How can he just "go"? He needs someone to buy the club from him before he can do that, and I think we should all be very aware of the fact that, in the hands of someone else, there could be all sorts of disastrous consequences. Just look at the way so many other clubs have been run in recent seasons (although I would have to concede that administration doesn't appear to be as bad as it is portrayed, and certainly didn't seem to do Motherwell much harm - plus Livi are still in the SPL and the Coags aren't doing much worse than us).

Of course I'm not happy to be a middle-ranking First Division club for evermore, but the recent change of manager and decision to give Coyle a decent wage budget to spend proves that GB does still have ambitions for the club. However, he and the board decided to give the job to a man with next to no management experience and, while we'd all have loved to run away with the league this season, we have to be realistic and say that the guy is going to need time to learn his trade.

By the way, you mention that you think the fans should be standing up in some way to be noticed - well there was an after-match protest arranged a couple of years ago and hardly anyone turned up!!

because it seems they are happy with the way things are.

listen mate, i am only telling you what people talk about. this is the problem with saints fans - caught up in the "we got a corner in the 6th minute, so we are doing ok" thing.

realise people - we are going nowhere.

I know what people talk about, the world is built on gossip. I am just asking for some facts before I go slagging off people.

listen mate, i am only telling you what people talk about. this is the problem with saints fans - caught up in the "we got a corner in the 6th minute, so we are doing ok" thing.

realise people - we are going nowhere.

partick thistle, airdrie, dundee and raith rovers are good examples of why we should be greatful for what we have. imagine supporting one them. must be hell to see your fall so far in short space of time

45 000 is a bigish town so why cant we attract people from the town and other places around? why because other clubs make an attempt to lure young fans to come to games by offering them incentives! we hit then with hefty prices !

I agree that we dont do enough to attract young fans and that the prices are too steep. Although Parent and child is best value in the league I believe.

listen mate, i am only telling you what people talk about.

Oh, come on - when you say "common knowledge", it sounds like you actually mean "common rumour". Does the fact that people talk about something make it fact? Seriously, do you really think the club would turn down a multi-million pound investment without a pretty good reason? What you're suggesting just doesn't stand up to any scrutiny.

We may be in no better a position right now than we were under Stark, but Coyle has progressed things from last season so you could call that improvement. He's only just built his team and now he needs time to improve as a manager and get us playing consistently well. Other than simply showing a bit of patience and giving the manager time to prove his worth, I don't know what you're suggesting we, as fans, can actually do?

By the way, did you go to the after-match protest?

the solution is simple, allow investors to invest! over the years there has been people willing to put there own money into the club and the board have denied people that chance.

When the Chairman took ill a couple of years ago, he stated publicly that if/when the right offer came in he would walk away happy in the knowledge that St Johnstone Football Club was in safe hands and the City of Perth would still have a professional football club.

The 'right offer' has never materialised.

when do saits ever advertise themselves,if it wasnt for this site i along wiyh others who stay out with Perth would have no idea what was going on ,i asked a couple of years ago if the club could do some some thing on radio Tay for example and got told thnere is news in the PA and thats all they would consider.

remember all he did with the asda deal was broker it, it never cost him anything and all the good that has come to the club has been from the outside - the donation of the land by farmer mcdiarmid etc.

Don't you realise that although "all he did was broker it" he/SJFC didn't receive grants from the Football Trust or the Government like other Clubs did to up grade their stadia?

Take Meadowbank Thistle for instance, (no, please do...) they received money in the way of grants and loans to build their stadium. They went into administration (or to use the real word - cheated). Mr Dominic Keane lost BORROWED/DONATED money, not his own, and walked away scott free with the Club not even having to suffer the 10 point deduction because of some technicality? :shock:

Geoff Brown is a St Johnstone fan, not just a businessman out to make a fast buck and run off, or out to gamble with a Club's financial stability, regardless of the consequences.

We should be thankful for that.

That is all. :wink:

at hamilton its the directors own money being used

Ok that's fine for the moment, but as soon as those directors get bored/die what happens then? They only have about 500 home fans at the moment, and as Livingston, Dundee etc have shown continual expenditure on players just isn't sustainable when you don't have the support or the commercial revenue to back it up. What's going to happen to Gretna in the future when Mileson isn't around?

I think we have a chairman who is a sound businessman and who won't gamble the clubs future in a fruitless chase for success. He is certainly not immune to criticism however - the point about us not promoting the club enough in the local area is certainly a valid one. Also as Blue Heaven says Geoff has stated many times that he is in effect waiting for someone to take the club off his hands, so I'd be stunned if he'd turned down any serious approaches, offering the money you've talked about, without good reason.

Don't you realise that although "all he did was broker it" he/SJFC didn't receive grants from the Football Trust or the Government like other Clubs did to up grade their stadia?

Take Meadowbank Thistle for instance, (no, please do...) they received money in the way of grants and loans to build their stadium. They went into administration (or to use the real word - cheated). Mr Dominic Keane lost BORROWED/DONATED money, not his own, and walked away scott free with the Club not even having to suffer the 10 point deduction because of some technicality? :shock:

Geoff Brown is a St Johnstone fan, not just a businessman out to make a fast buck and run off, or out to gamble with a Club's financial stability, regardless of the consequences.

We should be thankful for that.

That is all. :wink:

we never recieved grants or funding because asda paid for the lot.