Trialist

Steve Maskrey

Courier wrote

A GHANAIAN midfielder has arrived at McDiarmid Park for a spell on trial with St Johnstone.

Dundee United had invited him to train with them recently but Craig Levein decided against signing the player, and Owen Coyle will now assess him over the next few days, hopefully in a closed-doors game.

Sounds promising although I believe he played for United in the bounce game last week

Ghana are now one of the best footballing nations to look for talent. Their internatioal side beat the USA and the Czech Republic in the World Cup finals. Mind you a wild and windy Scottish 1st division at this time of year? Well worth a trial though.

Is there not a limit to the number of non EEC registered players allowed to play in each EEC country?

He probably has a fake passport.

Not good enough for United but good enough for Saints... things are looking up.

If he gets a deal, I'm a Dutchman. Coyle will say he's "not better than what we have."

Alan Main, Alan Preston and John O'Neil were not good enough for United.

I'm surprised you have such respect for Dundee United's view of a player especially after we beat them 2-0. Maybe it's they who are missing out. :)

This is from a United fan on another message board

Hamza Mohammed

http://www.sporting-heroes.net/football-heroes/displayhero_worldcup.asp?HeroID=12196

He's a free agent and has just been released from a short term contract at NZ Knights in the A league.

He goes onto say he's not sure if its the same guy - but the united fans seem to believe it was he they had on trial

Alan Main, Alan Preston and John O'Neil were not good enough for United.

I'm surprised you have such respect for Dundee United's view of a player especially after we beat them 2-0. Maybe it's they who are missing out. :)

Erm wasn't it 3-0 Ronnie??? :shock:

Always worth to have a look at these kind of guys. Craig Levein passed up the chance to sign him but doesn't mean to say he couldn't do a job for us. With Lawson and Sheridan leaving in the next few weeks, a guy of his international experience could be useful for us.

You never know, he could be the next Momo Sylla :?

Apparently he played well against Rangers but we won't be signing him because he is not fit and OC reckons we need players now. We lost 4-2 despite being 2-0 up (surprise :wink: ) with Peaso getting a goal. OC said Halliwell played well (so probably building his confidence up for Saturday).

Link to story

Our first team was beating them 2-0 but then we introduced our youngsters to the big time. Great idea. DB Mike pointed out on another thread that we lose form in the winter months. Training inside at Murray Park is ideal for all year round ball skills but what happens when they go out onto a windy pitch in the middle of a Scottish winter - it's a bit of a leveller. Summer football must come one day..

As for summer football, hard, bone dry pitches in the June aren't condusive to good football. It's fine if you can afford expensive sprinkler systems but most clubs at this level can't. Players would forever be turning ankles etc... as well.

Never heard of a hose ;) thats what they get paided for

As for summer football, hard, bone dry pitches in the June aren't condusive to good football. It's fine if you can afford expensive sprinkler systems but most clubs at this level can't. Players would forever be turning ankles etc... as well.

Expensive sprinkler systems? Nah

Cheaper than under soil heating and paying people to de-ice the car park. Why is it my grass grows fast and thick in the summer? With the exception of the New Years Day game the summer months of May and August/September get better crowds and of course better football.

I think if you ran all over your grass all summer you'd soon find it wouldn't be lush and green.

Pitches are nice in August when they haven't been stood on since May but if we played on them over the summer months they'd be like cricket pitches.

Not with today's technology. If you run about the Inches in the summer their perfect for football. Also no floodlight costs unless for the second half of an evening game. Also instead of Pie and Bovril we should have sandwiches and beer and chill out. Ireland, Russia, Ukraine, Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Finland all do it now. In the winter they have mixed nude saunas and Santa Claus which I'm all in favour of. Let's get our priorities right.