professionalism

mainstand

I was at the university sports complex this morning and saw Falkirk players turning up for their training session. I couldn't believe my eyes when Lattapy drove up and got out of his car along with 3 other players, 3 out of them got out of the car and walked towards the astro turf puffing away on their fags and 1 in particular coughing his guts up. They stopped near the gate finished their fags and went into start training.

What sort of example are these guys to the younger players at the club. And our fans moan about a player buying a pizza supper. :wink:

I was at the university sports complex this morning and saw Falkirk players turning up for their training session. I couldn't believe my eyes when Lattapy drove up and got out of his car along with 3 other players, 3 out of them got out of the car and walked towards the astro turf puffing away on their fags and 1 in particular coughing his guts up. They stopped near the gate finished their fags and went into start training.

What sort of example are these guys to the younger players at the club. And our fans moan about a player buying a pizza supper. :wink:

its nowt to do with anyone

its nowt to do with anyone

I'd say that it does have something to do with the Falkirk supporters. They pay the players' wages, and have a right to be disgruntled if that money is being spent on a drug which is likely to be detremental to their performance. If you're a smoker, you can't possibly perform to the height of your sporting ability.

I'd say that it does have something to do with the Falkirk supporters. They pay the players' wages, and have a right to be disgruntled if that money is being spent on a drug which is likely to be detremental to their performance. If you're a smoker, you can't possibly perform to the height of your sporting ability.

I also thought it looked really bad that players were standing about to go into training having a fag.

rubbish, absolute rubbish. if you have talent it could not possibly be taken away due to puffing a fag.

Never stopped me cutting a swathe through defences in the Perthshire 5's league a few years ago. :lol::lol:

Seriously though, have a look at yerselves for christ's sakes. How many of you were disgusted about Roddy smoking, and as most saintees met Roddy at some point or other, did you actually say anything to the man himself? No. thought not.

Wind yer necks in and leave them to it.

rubbish, absolute rubbish. if you have talent it could not possibly be taken away due to puffing a fag.

I never said smoking takes away talent (although I reckon those few individuals who've ended up having to have their legs amputated as a result of heavy smoking probably weren't quite as good at football afterwards). Anyway, my point was that it damages your health and impedes your breathing. Anyone who is (a) unhealthy and (B) not breathing as well as they could be, cannot possibly perform to the best of their abilities. I don't see how anyone could possibly disagree with that.

Never stopped me cutting a swathe through defences in the Perthshire 5's league a few years ago. :lol::lol:

Seriously though, have a look at yerselves for christ's sakes. How many of you were disgusted about Roddy smoking, and as most saintees met Roddy at some point or other, did you actually say anything to the man himself? No. thought not.

Wind yer necks in and leave them to it.

Yes Roddy did smoke but in all the times that I saw him training at Perth i never once saw him smoking at the side of the park prior to a training session. My whole point was that IMHO it showed a lack of professionalism.

I quite agree, a smoker is not going to be at his physical peak. Surely their coach would get them to try to quit.

It's like my old flatmate, he tried to get fit but just kept smoking. If you really wanted to get fit surely you would realise that smoking isn't helping. I guess I don't understand since I've never been a smoker. :?

Yes Roddy did smoke but in all the times that I saw him training at Perth i never once saw him smoking at the side of the park prior to a training session. My whole point was that IMHO it showed a lack of professionalism.

Apologies MS, thought the point being made was about footballers smoking.

I quite agree, a smoker is not going to be at his physical peak. Surely their coach would get them to try to quit.

It's like my old flatmate, he tried to get fit but just kept smoking. If you really wanted to get fit surely you would realise that smoking isn't helping. I guess I don't understand since I've never been a smoker. :?

sadly its not easy to quit, in fact its a total b@stard and i have been trying for a while, i manage usually a few weeks then end up getting pissed which in turn means lighting up etc etc.

sadly its not easy to quit, in fact its a total b@stard and i have been trying for a while, i manage usually a few weeks then end up getting pissed which in turn means lighting up etc etc.

Yeah I realise it's not easy, but wouldn't you force yourself if something big was at stake, like a first place in a team, the difference between beating another boy to a ball, etc.?

This is one of the strangest threads I've seen on the forum. Pretty judgemental.

Look at it from this angle. We should be sending cartons and cartons of ciggies to the players at St. Midden, etc., encouraging them to live it up.

Then, according to many of you, they will be knackered after five minutes, lose 6-1 to the non-smoking, bean-sprout and yougurt-eating Saints! We will win the League and the clean living award from Martha Stewart.

There's lots more could be said. e.g., "judge not, lest ye be judged' If you live in a glass house.....etc.

By the standards raised here, those of you who get pissed tonight are robbing your employers of a peak performance tomorrow. ?? I don't feckin' think so.

Smudge 8) (Cheers!)

By the standards raised here, those of you who get pissed tonight are robbing your employers of a peak performance tomorrow. ?? I don't feckin' think so.

Smudge 8) (Cheers!)

Well, actually, it is still a holiday here tomorrow 8) :shock: 8)

This is one of the strangest threads I've seen on the forum. Pretty judgemental.

Look at it from this angle. We should be sending cartons and cartons of ciggies to the players at St. Midden, etc., encouraging them to live it up.

Then, according to many of you, they will be knackered after five minutes, lose 6-1 to the non-smoking, bean-sprout and yougurt-eating Saints! We will win the League and the clean living award from Martha Stewart.

There's lots more could be said. e.g., "judge not, lest ye be judged' If you live in a glass house.....etc.

Smudge 8) (Cheers!)

Not at all.

If a player smokes or drinks then that is up to him but what i would expect is that player would not smoke or drink at work. ie get changed and walk out to training having a fag on the way.

If a player smokes or drinks then that is up to him but what i would expect is that player would not smoke or drink at work. ie get changed and walk out to training having a fag on the way.

In my 'other life' I am a rugby referee and sometimes I am asked to run the line at Premier 1 games. There is one referee who tokk me to one side and asked me to tkae his cigarettes onto the pitch, in my track-top pocket so he could have a puff at half-time!! This referee is on the senior list and being looked at for international duties!!

Talking about professionalism, should our star striker, who limped out of yesterday's game really have been at the Bucket last night when he had training today? :roll::?

Do you think all the other players were tucked up in bed at the bells :wink:

As I have said else where he was not drunk and without being funny its not exactley easy for him to hide in Perth so he would have known that he would be spotted