Have we the worst support in Scotland?

t

It's fairly obvious why this happens.

Because of the new political correctness, we're not allowed to thump our wives.

Because of the Pinko/Fascist sensitivity of the social agencies, we can't kick the crap out of our kids.

Because of the pussies in the union we can't beat the snot out of our bosses.

Because they closed the Plough Inn, we can't give Miss Spanky a doin'.

So we pay a few bob to go to McD. to abuse the players.

Smudge 8) (Ain't democracy just wunnerful/). :P

I agree saints are doing very poorly just now but i am getting worried by the amount of supporters getting annoyed at certain players before he ha even kicked a ball! Now is the time to get behind the guys, no?

I think we should get right behind the lads in the next couple of games...maybe we will be rewarded with a win :D . We are 'supporters' after all

All football club's fans are similar.

In general people love their team and by definition hate their team getting beat.

In general people love their team and by definition love their team winning.

Some people overreact to both situations and a draw generally separates the pessimist from the otimists.

Ms Spanky is a good outlet for the mental anxieties induced in following football teams.

So I've been told anyway :roll:

I think part of the problem is McDiarmid Park. Now I love the place dearly and think we are very lucky to have it, but there are too many people who sit on cushions and bring travel rugs into the East Stand. In a traditional football ground those fans would be housed in the main stand, allowing us scum (usually assisted by booze) to really get behind the team. This may be very unpc but I wish the moaners, who lets be fair tend to be a bit long in the tooth, would sod off to the main stand where they can have more legroom and where we can't hear them. It's a sad day when the moaners are louder than the singers.

It's a sad day when the moaners are louder than the singers.

Sorry to extract this from your point JW but the singing at McD is pretty dire. I have managed to get to 3 games this season and at each game the chanting last for about 10 seconds and then dies away. It is usually in response to the few visiting supporters. Do we not have any club songs to sing anymore like we used to in the 'old days'?

As for the moaners I sat next to one on Saturday who never stopped moaning from the minute he sat down. Clueless about the new offside rule and other things. Swearing incessantly throughout the 90 minutes and he was not a young guy either!

Sorry to extract this from your point JW but the singing at McD is pretty dire. I have managed to get to 3 games this season and at each game the chanting last for about 10 seconds and then dies away. It is usually in response to the few visiting supporters. Do we not have any club songs to sing anymore like we used to in the 'old days'?

!

You are right. I must admit I don't much enjoy going to games at McD anymore. I much prefer going to away games for the "atmosphere" (relatively speaking of course). I actually really enjoyed the Brechin game because you can STAND and do so right next to the pitch, even though it pissed with rain much of the time.

Jimmy hits another nail on the head... the atmosphere is a big part of going to the footy, and it's getting taken away from us by, at best, a lack of common sense by the authorities. If they used common-sense, you'd be allowed a safe terracing at grounds, you'd be allowed to stand up a few minutes to celebrate a goal, you wouldn't be told off every two minutes for having a bit of a gob on you... the club and the football authorities, and the police and stewards have lost touch with all this, and they are slowly strangling Scottish Football.

If folk aren't into the atmosphere (and I don't always mean into singing and shouting) they'll start to stay at home to watch games on the box, and we all know that's happening already... and it's getting to the point where a pub can have a much better atmosphere...

Football needs to open it's eyes, the working class man (traditionally the life-blood of footy) are getting priced out of games and in some case discouraged for families (and I'm all for families going together and getting some special areas or treatment) and now the families are finding it hard to afford to go, so we are left with the corporate business folk or people with a high income, and how long will they stick around when things are not going well?

There needs to be a massive review of pricing and how fans are dealt with before football as we know it dies.

100% agreement, football needs to look at other industries to see what to do. Tesco got people through the doors by giving them what they wanted, good produce at a very reasonable price. If football starts giving more entertainment at a lower price then more people will go, it is a logical economic picture.

Pubs are the biggest problem as you can sit there, in the warm, with your mates and have a few beers whilst watching the footie. Clubs will never be able to compete with that unless drink goes back on sale at grounds. Rugby has suffered from this as well and is trying to get itself back in order again by trying to get licences sorted out for during the matches.

People will put their money where they feel they get the best return, that is something the clubs have yet to wake up and realise!

Jimmy hits another nail on the head... the atmosphere is a big part of going to the footy, and it's getting taken away from us by, at best, a lack of common sense by the authorities. If they used common-sense, you'd be allowed a safe terracing at grounds, you'd be allowed to stand up a few minutes to celebrate a goal, you wouldn't be told off every two minutes for having a bit of a gob on you... the club and the football authorities, and the police and stewards have lost touch with all this, and they are slowly strangling Scottish Football.

If folk aren't into the atmosphere (and I don't always mean into singing and shouting) they'll start to stay at home to watch games on the box, and we all know that's happening already... and it's getting to the point where a pub can have a much better atmosphere...

Football needs to open it's eyes, the working class man (traditionally the life-blood of footy) are getting priced out of games and in some case discouraged for families (and I'm all for families going together and getting some special areas or treatment) and now the families are finding it hard to afford to go, so we are left with the corporate business folk or people with a high income, and how long will they stick around when things are not going well?

There needs to be a massive review of pricing and how fans are dealt with before football as we know it dies.

I agree with the pricing policies of football clubs these days - they do not represent good value for money at all. The difference between an adult and a juvenile at McDiarmid is unbelievable (I'm not suggestting we should raise the juvenile price at all, though).

I also agree that Police/stewards are heavy handed, esp at McDiarmid, however, I hate how people harp on about how they are heavy handed and then goad them with taunts etc. Then they get pissed off when they get ejected. If the Polis tell folk to sit down and shut up then they should just do it - taunting them/not following their instructions is just asking to be dealt with. If you're not happy, inform the Polis's office, the club or your MP or something.

I also agree that Police/stewards are heavy handed, esp at McDiarmid, however, I hate how people harp on about how they are heavy handed and then goad them with taunts etc. Then they get pissed off when they get ejected. If the Polis tell folk to sit down and shut up then they should just do it - taunting them/not following their instructions is just asking to be dealt with. If you're not happy, inform the Polis's office, the club or your MP or something.

I aggree to most of this, but you don't always get a warning (as I found out :roll: ) and informing the polis or the club is a waste of time and effort as they don't care... MP, never tried that one though :?

I aggree to most of this, but you don't always get a warning (as I found out :roll: ) and informing the polis or the club is a waste of time and effort as they don't care... MP, never tried that one though :?

Do you really need to get a warning to realise your behaviour is out of order? I would have thought that in this day and age in a civilised society, we should all know how to behave at a football match i.e sit down, make as much noise as you like but do not goad the police or stewards.

Do you really need to get a warning to realise your behaviour is out of order? I would have thought that in this day and age in a civilised society, we should all know how to behave at a football match i.e sit down, make as much noise as you like but do not goad the police or stewards.

When folk all around you are standing up soon after scoring a goal in a game where the Chairman of the club has asked for an atmosphere, I'd expect some common-sense, and at worst a telling off!

When folk all around you are standing up soon after scoring a goal in a game where the Chairman of the club has asked for an atmosphere, I'd expect some common-sense, and at worst a telling off!

To me, soon after would be 1 - 2 minutes max. McD is an all seated stadium, most supporters want to sit and be able to see the game. Since when did everybody need to be standing to create an atmosphere? The common sense needs to come from the supporter i.e stand up to cheer a goal, sit down after it, do not verbally abuse the police or stewards!