The last film you watched

MUZZ

is the film 'lost in translation' any good?

One of those films that really divides opinions. I think it was kind of marketed as a laugh a minute comedy but its not like that at all. Its a very under-stated and mildly trippy film about love and loneliness. Tokyo is the real star of the film, helped along by a really lush soundtrack (from Kevin Shields, my Bloody valentine, Death in Vegas, Air etc)

is the film 'lost in translation' any good?

I thought it was a complete waste of time to be honest. Looking at your previous film choices and other interests you show on Chit Chat, I don't think there is any way you should be watching this film!

I watched it off the back of the rave reviews that most people were giving it at the time it came out but I knew little else about it beforehand other than it had Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson in it. It turned out to be a load of pretentious, over-hyped tripe. I read someone saying it was the best thing Bill Murray had ever done. Well, it's not - Groundhog Day and Ghostbusters are far superior and to be honest I think Garfield and Charlie's Angels are too.

It's not quite down at the level of Moulin Rouge in terms of my most hated film ever but it's not far off. If you want to watch something shit try Cheaper by the Dozen or Legally Blonde instead.

Steer clear!

I watched it off the back of the rave reviews that most people were giving it at the time it came out but I knew little else about it beforehand other than it had Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson in it. It turned out to be a load of pretentious, over-hyped tripe. I read someone saying it was the best thing Bill Murray had ever done. Well, it's not - Groundhog Day and Ghostbusters are far superior and to be honest I think Garfield and Charlie's Angels are too.

It's not quite down at the level of Moulin Rouge in terms of my most hated film ever but it's not far off. If you want to watch something shit try Cheaper by the Dozen or Legally Blonde instead.

Steer clear!

I think Lost In Translation is alright, but for some reason it's promoted as a comedy when it's not one. I found it watchable enough, but there's not a single laugh in it. Also, Bill Murray's performance in it is decent, but it really annoys me that after all the terrific performances Murray has produced in his career, this is the one he gets an Oscar nomination for. For some reason the Oscars don't seem to recognise any merit in comedy, even though for my money it's the most difficult genre to get right, and Murray is a master at it. His performance in Groundhog Day is amazing - he should have won Best Actor for that, but because it's a true comedy people look down their noses at it.

P.S. Anyone else who likes Bill Murray should watch his slightly lesser-known "What About Bob?". And also the first half-hour of "Quick Change", before it gets a bit rubbish.

Just watched 'Marie Antionette'. Its about the French wifie who said 'let them eat cake'. Its also directed by Sofia Coppola who directed 'Lost in Translation', and would be best avoided by everyone who hated that film - it has a similar pace, lack of dialogue, hip soundtrack. Anyhoo, I thought it was pretty boring, and didn't really work for me.

Shrek the Third. With all the similar style kids movies with lots of humour to keep adults happy, the Shrek series is by far the best. Even with all the same characters, this third film is still funny from beginning to end without going over the same gags again.

Has anyone seen The Flying Scotsman yet? I'm gonna try and see it tomorrow

my name is joe

Superb film, had forgotten about that one, must try and get hold of a copy somewhere.

Anyone wanting a top Scottish film should check out 'Orphans', as black a comedy as you'll get.

Last film I really enjoyed was 'A Guide To Recognising Your Saints', about growing up in NY in the 80s. 'The Departed' was great as well but with that director and cast then it would be. Looking forward to 'American Gangster', could be film of the year I reckon.

anyone seen 'zodiac'?

I saw this at the cinema when it came out, it's definitely one worth watching (legally).

It's quite a long film (probably a little too long actually) and there's no quick hit action but there's plenty of suspense and atmosphere along with a couple of quite brutal scenes. Since it was based on a true story of an unsolved case it is quite unsatisfying in that you get no definitive answers to your questions. Don't let that put you off though because it's still a good film - that lack of satisfaction gives you a real sense of the frustration of the investigators.

I really liked Mark Ruffalo and Robert Downey Jr in it, with Robert Downey Jr's character lifting the otherwise bleak mood of the film. Jake Gyllenhall was a little disappointing though in the lead role - I'm not a huge fan of his.

Overall it's well worth seeing and is arguably the best mainstream movie of 2007 so far.