Saints vs. Partick Thistle 05/01/08

Radford 72

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember after Euro 2000, Sandy Clark came back with a brand spanking new formation, that lasted all of about eight games until we got cuffed 4-0 at Motherwell.

It was something like...

Main

Sylla - Weir - Kernaghan - Bollan

Dasovic - Kane

Parker - McBride - Lovenkrands

Jones

As near to a 4-2-4 as we'll ever get I suspect.

I remember that (though wasn't it Hartley on the wide right?), but I don't think it could ever have been called 4-2-4. It was more like 4-3-3 with the wingers pushing forward, or even just a glorified 4-5-1 with them staying back.

I still say 4-2-3-1 is the best possible formation in football, if you have the right players for it. I think the team/formation above could have worked really well for us, if we'd persisted with it and found someone better than McBride to play that important "hole" role. I think part of the reason it fell apart was that he just wasn't good enough.

Can you imagine that same team, though, with Momo Sylla instead of McBride? I think that could have been terrific to watch.

Team from official site

SAINTS: Main, Irvine, Stanic, McCaffrey, Rutkiewicz, Craig, Moon, MacDonald, McBreen, Milne, Sheerin.

Subs: McManus, Anderson, Jackson, Weatherston, Cuthbert

I like it . I like it a lot. 4-3-3. Come on you Saints

Would have liked it even more if Jackson was in for MacDonald.