Berbatov worth 37mil?

yangus

Interesting point. Wonder what makes the gamble for Saints using the criteria above?

What player would we get for £300,000 of our money....... however we are highly unlikely to spend, as there involves risk on the ease to recoup the outlay :)

There is no guaranteed returns, plenty of teams have spent millions been relegated from EPL and now lost. so £1,000,000 Im not sure a player is worth it.

It's simplifying things a lot, but I guess that for a club like Saints it still works in much the same way, only to a lesser extent - i.e. spend £300,000 on a better quality of player and we might get into the SPL, where we'd recoup the outlay through sponsorship, TV etc. Geoff Brown himself even said that the clubs who spend the least on players (wages as well as transfer fees) are almost always the ones who get relegated from the SPL.

You're right that there are no guaranteed returns, but I think in England it's even more apparent that the clubs who spend the least get relegated, and the ones that spend the most also get the reward of the Champions League (and the money it brings), plus increased shirt sales etc. David Beckham is the most obvious example, I think, of a player who brings his club a fortune simply by being there, so is worth a fortune to buy. A lot of people moan about the amount a guy like Beckham earns but, while I'm not doubting the fact that the amount of money he earns is obscene, I know that if my employers were making millions upon millions off the back of my own name, I would want a huge cut of that money.

Fast turning into a 'Foreign' Billionaires playground. There will soon be little left of old England as most teams will not field many, if any, English (British) players. They will be (are) managed nearly entirely by Foreign managers. They play in Stadiums with Foreign sounding names. The only thing English about the Premier League will be that matches are played in err... England. :rolleyes:

The only thing English about the Premier League will be that matches are played in err... England. :rolleyes:

...and even that might be about to change, if the plans from earlier this year are still being considered!

I watched some of the brief highlights from the Arsenal v Chelsea reserves match on Sky last night - you'd think that in a reserves match, at least, most of the players would be young English guys, but from the names it sounded like the bulk of the players involved in that match were imported too.