Scotland Squad vs Switzerland

HeronAddict

Goalkeepers: Alexander (Cardiff City), Gordon (Hearts), Marshall (Celtic)

Defenders: Alexander (Preston), Anderson (Aberdeen), G Caldwell (Hibernian), S Caldwell (Sunderland), Dailly (West Ham), Naysmith (Everton), Pressley (Hearts), Webster (Hearts), Weir (Everton)

Midfielders: Ferguson (Rangers), Fletcher (Manchester United), Hartley (Hearts), McCulloch (Wigan), Murray (Rangers) Quashie (West Brom), Smith (Aberdeen), Teale (Wigan)

Strikers: McFadden (Everton), Maloney (Celtic), Miller (Wolves), O'Connor (Hibernian), Riordan (Hibernian).

Bit of a strange selection for me. Why is Graham Alexander still in the squad? He must be about 33 now, and its not like he's a great player anyway. Surely Robbie Neilson at Hearts or Whittaker at Hibs would be younger, and much better options at right-back, especially in a friendly? In fact a lot of the defensive selections are a bit strange - Naysmith's only played one game this season, Caldwell's been hopeless for Sunderland and while he's been a great servant to Scotland we really need to be looking at younger players than Davie Weir. Mark Wilson's also done really well since he went to Celtic, and can fill in at left-back, so why is he not in the squad?

It also defies belief that Kris Boyd isn't in the squad. He's top scorer in the SPL, and looks like the type of natural goalscorer Scotland have lacked for years, yet he doesn't get a sniff. And don't even get me started on Lee McCulloch :roll: ...

Good to see Smith at Aberdeen included, but I agree that its maybe time to say bye to Weir, Alexander and McCulloch. As for Teale I don't believe he's that good to be honest. Would of liked to see Boyd and Neilson/McNaughton in there! Whats happened to Dickov?

I cant believe Burke at Rangers has been overlooked. He's twenty times the player Jamie Smith is yet Smith gets a call. Hopefully now that Smith pulled out Burke will get the chance he deserves.

The Scotland teams starting to look strong though. We just need a few decent defenders to come through and we'll be sorted :)

Scott Dobie

Wwwwhhhhooooooo?? :lol: Where is he now anyway?

Whats happened to Dickov?

Think he's injured just now, unless he'd be another pensioner in the squad. Seriously for a friendly when there's no competitive game straight after, I really don't understand why guys like Alexander and Weir are in the squad - its not as if we can learn anything new about them now. This is the perfect opportunity to give some young boys a chance - Weir will be 37 in 2008, and no-one can seriously say he'll be capable of going to the Euro championships at that age.

I cant believe Burke at Rangers has been overlooked. He's twenty times the player Jamie Smith is yet Smith gets a call. Hopefully now that Smith pulled out Burke will get the chance he deserves.

The Scotland teams starting to look strong though. We just need a few decent defenders to come through and we'll be sorted :)

I think Scotland are playing Japan at around the time of the Cup Final and so with Rangers definitely not involved in that and Hibs players Riordan and O'Connor possibly involved then Burke and Boyd might play then. I think Walter's right to keep a bit stability this time round since we've had massive changes over the last few years and a couple of changes per game at most is the way I think Walter will go and that's his style. I personally was hoping for the return of 'Magic Johnston' on the wing.

Good to see Smith at Aberdeen included, but I agree that its maybe time to say bye to Weir, Alexander and McCulloch. As for Teale I don't believe he's that good to be honest. Would of liked to see Boyd and Neilson/McNaughton in there! Whats happened to Dickov?

weir has been a rock for everton this season, deserves his place and mcculloch has done really well for wigan

Think he's injured just now, unless he'd be another pensioner in the squad. Seriously for a friendly when there's no competitive game straight after, I really don't understand why guys like Alexander and Weir are in the squad - its not as if we can learn anything new about them now. This is the perfect opportunity to give some young boys a chance - Weir will be 37 in 2008, and no-one can seriously say he'll be capable of going to the Euro championships at that age.

I think its all about gaining a consistant squad, something we have'nt had for a while. He may not be able to play in competition, but he could be vital in qualification....even if it is only 2/3 games.

Wwwwhhhhooooooo?? :lol: Where is he now anyway?

Super Super Scott

Super Super Scott

Super Super Scott

Super Scotty Dobie (in your best Brummie accent :lol: )

As stanley has said, he is at Notts Forest, having gone with Megson (who has since bitten the dust!!!) - player who was very underrated for the job he did in getting the Baggies to the Premiership first time round, although he clearly was not of Premiership or international standard!