Demise of Gr£tna FC

St Mikey

I always thought that the most senior league outside the SFL was the highland league and I think that a club from there should have been admitted.

None of the non-league senior leagues in Scotland have an official status above any of the others, although it's clear the South of Scotland League is very weak indeed. Traditionally the Highland League was stronger than it is now since top teams like Inverness Caledonian, Inverness Thistle, Peterhead, Ross County and Elgin City have been left to join the SFL. Cove Rangers were the only Highland League team who were interested in joining the SFL at this time and their facilities aren't fantastic, as anyone who was at our friendly up there three (?) seasons ago can attest.

I think it's fair that in the current league format each club should be considered on its individual merits and not simply because of the league they take part in - essentially all that tells you is the area of the country they are based in. Obviously it would be highly desirable to introduce a pyramid system as soon as possible though.

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the choice was made on how financially sustainable the team was going to be if they were allowed in the division, which is surely the right choice after the Gretna fiasco. Where they may have finished in the league last season has nothing to do with it really. I think they made the right decision.

Oh how the 'mighty' have fallen. It has already been mentioned that Gretna will be in the east of Scotland league this year. I've just found out that Stirling uni have a team in that league too - so from playing Ibrox and CP to a park ground, all in a year ....!!!!

They are unlikely to have played on many better surfaces than Stirling University. Falkirks groundsmen have taken over responsibility for the grounds and have made some brilliant improvements. From what I saw it's like a bowling green.

They are unlikely to have played on many better surfaces than Stirling University. Falkirks groundsmen have taken over responsibility for the grounds and have made some brilliant improvements. From what I saw it's like a bowling green.

Not all doom and gloom then for Gretna. :P