Recognise any of these old grounds thread

25e Ainslie Place

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love seeing photos of old stadia or even better, current stadia in their older form. I'm too young to know what full terraced stadia was like. Anyone got any more of other places?

And by the way, i have a feeling i know the connection between Cathkin & Hampden is :D

Noose got there as well, and would have shared the gold starred coconut with you for pointing out that Queen's Park sold Cathkin Park to Third Lanark when they moved to Hampden. Third Lanark won the league in the season that they moved - must be something about moving grounds breeding success.

Before what became Cathkin Park, Queen's played on that part of Queen's Park that is now used as the car park on big match days. If you look across you will see see Dixon Hall which is where Third Lanark started.

South Glasgow - just a village.

Full of idiots.

Guest ManWithNoName
Noose got there as well, and would have shared the gold starred coconut with you for pointing out that Queen's Park sold Cathkin Park to Third Lanark when they moved to Hampden. Third Lanark won the league in the season that they moved - must be something about moving grounds breeding success.

Before what became Cathkin Park, Queen's played on that part of Queen's Park that is now used as the car park on big match days. If you look across you will see see Dixon Hall which is where Third Lanark started.

Full of idiots.

Yeah i know, i just didn't want be the one to break the duel of knowledge between yourself and 25e Ainslie Place. Oh well, i'll accept defeat and move on hahaha.

Full of idiots.

I was born on Queens drive which is situated directly across the road from the "recreation grounds" that you've mentioned was the site of the 1st Hampden. They then moved across the Cathcart Road to the 2nd Hampden (now Cathkin Park) before moving to the 3rd and final location, which is the current Hampden. Glasgow at one point had the 3 largest football stadia in the world, with Cathkin Park itself holding a reported 80,000.

The below is Benburb's Tinto Park, which is not in the lovely old photo of Ibrox and Govan.

<iframe width="300" height="300" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=ibrox&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=15.006879,46.450195&ie=UTF8&t=h&hq=&hnear=Ibrox,+South+Lanarkshire,+City+of+Glasgow,+United+Kingdom&ll=55.853342,-4.326242&spn=0.001807,0.003219&z=17&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=embed&hl=en&geocode=&q=ibrox&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=15.006879,46.450195&ie=UTF8&t=h&hq=&hnear=Ibrox,+South+Lanarkshire,+City+of+Glasgow,+United+Kingdom&ll=55.853342,-4.326242&spn=0.001807,0.003219&z=17" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>