Sunday Times

Attila

Did anyone see the "Caught In Time" article in yesterday's Sunday Times which featured Alex Rennie and the squad which one the 1983 First division and gave an update on what they are doing now.

Of the squad of 20, 2 have died (Rutherford & McVicar) and 3 have emigrated to Australia (Beedie, Blair & Morton). Stuart Beedie is the only one with an unusual job - according to the article he is now a private investigator Down Under - can anyone confirm or deny this ?

Alex Rennie is now a driving instructor in Stirlingshire.

Ok I have no idea whether Stuart is a private d*** or not, but he is involved with coaching down here.

He was assistant coach of my old club the Wollongong Wolves, when it was in the now defunct old National Comp.

He is involved with junior football down on the south coast of new south wales.

One of the players who was in the OZ world cup team and played in all of the games Scotty Chipperfield came through the wolves academy which Stuart was involved with.

I first met him back in 1995 so he has been here atleast 10 years

we had 11 of the squad at Drews night in the 208,of which 8 were involvedin the 3-3 v ****

That was a brilliant game up until the 90th minute or something. I can still see Rangers equaliser in my mind, 'Stay on your line!' It gives me nightmares. 2-0 down then score three in a row then that .. :shock::cry::twisted:

On that team generally I think if the club had been full time they would have been a permanent Premier League team. They had a lot of class but didn't have the edge or shrpness throughout the full season.

I wonder what this team is all doing now - Donalson, Lambie, Coburn, Gordon, Rooney, McPhee, Aird, Hall, Whitelaw, Connolly (genuis) and Aitken, Subs: Pearson, Beatson, Argue, Robertson (seen him in the Kirky with ZZ Top Man recently).

I wonder what this team is all doing now - Donalson, Lambie, Coburn, Gordon, Rooney, McPhee, Aird, Hall, Whitelaw, Connolly (genuis) and Aitken, Subs: Pearson, Beatson Argue, Robertson (seen him in the Kirky with ZZ Top Man recently).

Those were indeed halcyon days!

Donaldson and Robertson - Great keepers

Aird, Hall, Whitelaw, Sir JC, and the languid Freddie - Great front 5

Rooney took no prisoners

Lambie and Coburn were tough as old boots

McPhee - No words could describe his ability when he wanted to play

Gordon - Afraid I cannot recall him

Jimmy Pearson - Super sub

Those were indeed halcyon days!

Donaldson and Robertson - Great keepers

Aird, Hall, Whitelaw, Sir JC, and the languid Freddie - Great front 5

Rooney took no prisoners

Lambie and Coburn were tough as old boots

McPhee - No words could describe his ability when he wanted to play

Gordon - Afraid I cannot recall him

Jimmy Pearson - Super sub

That was 'Alex Gordon' Dunc. I think he and Rooney were even tougher than Lambie/Coburn but I'm sure John and Willie might disagree. I think once one of the goalkeepers were injured he knew he was out for a while since the other was just as good. 'Derek for Scotland!' - good chant.

The style of football was so offensive that three of the forwards dropped back to receive the ball as if they were attacking midfielder giving options for that tough defence to play out (normally Aird, Connelly and Aitken). I forgot about Pearson and McCarry. :shock: Quality squad.

..... and they are all still on sale on ebay - £31 and counting - almost as much as the real squad cost!!

Alec Gordon was THE tower of strength allowing Big Buck to show all his finesse and "Mary" Mcphee his biting tackles - or does my memory play tricks???

No. I think your analysis is quite accurate especially when you use such descriptive words to assess the mighty McCarry and Ian McPhee. Although I do prefer my 'languid', which could also describe Buck at times.

Buck broke the play up :) (I once seen him right in front of me breaking John Hiughes Of Celtic's leg - a pure accident :wink: ) and Ian was Beckenbaur on occasions (I remember him dribbling through the Celtic defence to score the winner in a 3-2 win). That Celtic team were not the Mickey Mouse one of today.

That Saints team would win the SPL today.

Naw. As in:

1. Drooping or flagging from or as if from exhaustion; weak; weary; heavy.

2. Promoting or indicating weakness or heaviness.

3. Slow; lacking vigor or force.

I think you're doing him a discredit Dunc. Hre had a role and basically that was to spot their creative midfielder and then nullify him hoping that our creative players would pick up the scrap and that's what happened more often than not. He was hardly ever substituted and therefore ran all the pitches in Scotland including Ibrox and Parkhead (where the atmosphere didn't bother him). Ormond was no fool. I think he was there in Bobby Brown's day too.

he was THE MAN I remember once at pittorie he was solely responsible for securing a dramatic 5-5 draw - even with blood pouring out of a head wound and a bandage like a cartoon sheik. Of the field he was the architipal gentle giant - a far better where are they now would have been the Ormond team

he was THE MAN I remember once at pittorie he was solely responsible for securing a dramatic 5-5 draw - even with blood pouring out of a head wound and a bandage like a cartoon sheik. Of the field he was the architipal gentle giant - a far better where are they now would have been the Ormond team

I remember he shouted at Henry 'Hurry Up Ya Wee Hoor!!!' when Hall wasn't taking the shy quick enough and as a wee guy at the time obviously I was really appalled. Aye right. :wink: Go on Bucko you tell him (our greatest goal scorer). Was it Buck (maybe Rooney) who at the end of the Forfarshire Cup Final against Dundee at Muirton had to make the call in a 'Toss of the coin' decision. That was amazing, all the players were told to go to the edge of the pitch near the tunnel and only the two captains were left. Then the coin went into the air and .................. WE WON! Yeah everybody (well all the kids) poured on the pitch. :lol: Jocky Scott had a great game that night - very good player.