Levein Tenure Up?

Pop

541intees if that is the case why have we been unable to control a game for years against a team of similair standing?

I think Fletcher, Brown and Morrison are good players, Morrison is in fine form, but put them together for Scotland against the likes of say Serbia or Belguim and how long can we keep the ball? How many passes can we string together before losing the ball? How often can we keep the ball when being tightly marked and pressed?.

I think Bannan could well be the closest thing we have to the modern style a lot of the best international teams are playing. Don't get me wrong we have a few good players with individual qualities, but unfortunately I firmly believe the only way we are going to get good results in the short term is becoming more compact, working hard off the ball and playing on the break. We will not be able to outplay any team with a half decent level of technique.

Celtic played to their strengths against Barca and managed the unthinkable. Sure, they were lucky at points, but it was a performance based on hard work and determination.

To raise our game and be able to play a possesion game, we need to see an overhaul at the youth level. Lets see if Wotte gived us this!?

I'm not arguing with any of that - my point was that the midfield is not the weak link. Maybe they lose the ball so much because there are crap options up top, or they don't trust the defence with the ball. We sure as hell haven't been blessed with talent in either of these departments in recent years.

Even when we were beating France twice and giving Italy a decent game at Hampden it wasn't because of our ability to keep the ball, it was the hard work and organisation mixed in with a lot of luck that did the trick - much like Celtic the other night.

The stats suggest that putting the ball in the net has been our biggest challenge in recent time....

For example, Scotland scored 78 in their last 64 games, conceding 76. England scored 154 in 73 games over the same period, conceding 56. Although our goals against is a bit higher, our goals for are only half and for me that's the key issue.

With consistent one-uip-top formations, you need to have goals from midfield and set pieces; we are just not able to do that.

The stats suggest that putting the ball in the net has been our biggest challenge in recent time....

For example, Scotland scored 78 in their last 64 games, conceding 76. England scored 154 in 73 games over the same period, conceding 56. Although our goals against is a bit higher, our goals for are only half and for me that's the key issue.

With consistent one-uip-top formations, you need to have goals from midfield and set pieces; we are just not able to do that.

Comparing a country 10x bigger than us, i'd say that makes our record pretty decent!

While watching that pile of horseshit last night (mainly to see Muzz) I was astounded to hear some fans singing "Are you watching Craig Levein ?)

Now I know our fans are dedicated,often inebriated but if they can add satisfied to that list then I am astounded. I should think Craig had better things to do.At least Houston was getting paid for a change !

Levein was offered the job, he left secure employment to go to the job, if the SFA have not honoured their contractual requirements, CL has as much right as anyone else to get what he's due. Another cluster**** by the SFA, if they don't honour the contract who else will take the job?

Which is actually almost precisely the same situation as the ex BBC DG - and he 'only' got £450k - and what a fuss being made in the meeja etc. It's the nature of these jobs. Though they may not like it folk should understand that is thae case and stop - to be blunt - being jealous/envious of the pay-offs they have been given.

If small countries like Denmark and Croatia can do it we ought to be able to also.

Maybe, but if you are going on size of country we shouldn't be anywhere near top 10, nor should Croatia or Denmark.

Our culture just doesn't lend itself to great collective athleticism. Struggling to meet the measly target of 2 hours of PE a week, a deep fried mars bar being classed a suitable snack.....possible reasons why we are pish at all team sports, not just a football/ SFA problem.

Edited by nips

WHen I was a bairn (and Scotland had much better standard of fitba) we were oot all day and night kickin a ba. There were nae playstations and only 1-2 TV channels. But if a kids determined the day, the facilities are there for them, just too many distraction I suppose. The Croatians manage it because they're hungrier I think and have fewer options.

WHen I was a bairn (and Scotland had much better standard of fitba) we were oot all day and night kickin a ba. There were nae playstations and only 1-2 TV channels. But if a kids determined the day, the facilities are there for them, just too many distraction I suppose. The Croatians manage it because they're hungrier I think and have fewer options.

I think you're right. It's amazing that individual participation sports like tennis, athletics and cycling have all improved in terms of our world position but our team sports performances have fallen. It just means there's less people playing the latter which is strange since football for kids is about the cheapest of all sports for mass participation if they are allowed to play ...... somewhere.

Uruguay are the BIG football nation of all the small sized countries. They won the 1st World Cup in 1928 admittedly on their own soil, they won the World Cup in 1950 in BRAZIL in RIO DE JANEIRO in the MARACANA stadium in front of a 200,000 crowd of which 99% were against them and URUGUAY has had a population 2.000.000 below that of SCOTLAND'S the whole of its footballing history (3.3 million - smaller than Rio itself). They have won 15 Copa America's (South American Championships) have normally reached the latter stages of the Finals at World Cups L like Luis Suarez ........... A LOT - exciting and a Kenny Dalglish signing who seems to be carrying liverpool just now.