Challenge Cup q/f

Kevin

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think your in for a surprise when you come to Cappielow. We might have an old stadium but the atmosphere is a lot better than McDermid Park.

Actual playing surface is brilliant and long gone are the days when a downpour caused the game to be cancelled.

As for the team, they are young and maybe a bit inexperienced but they are hard working and we have some very skillful players. You should not relish coming to Cappielow as it's going to be a very difficult 90 minutes for you lot.

My prediction? Morton 2 St Johnstone 1

The memory flags a bit there.

The 2-2 draw was indeed at Cappielow, but it was Morton who got the final goal. Tommy Turner scored a diving header with many fans still outside waiting to get in. Saints took total charge and went 2-1 up by HT. John Boag (recently deceased, sadly) was sent off, and Balavage saved a Spencer penalty. From the corner, Dougie Robertson made it 2-2.

I have the game on DVD, and there is a classic moment when the penalty is saved - the camera pans onto the Ton fans behind the other goal looking stunned, and a bloke in glasses clearly mouths "that's p!ss". Seconds later it's 2-2 and the camera shows a plod shoving the same guy back over the wall, after he'd leapt over it in celebration. :lol:

The replay was a major disappointment for us, but few could deny the better team won over the tie.

The 4-3 Challenge cup tie we played at Scapa was (ironically) when we were last in the 2nd division and you were in the 1st. It's one of the few times where I've seen our team applauded off at HT despite throwing away a 2-0 lead. I remember John Fowler's shocking "singing into the corner flag" after getting our third. Derek Lilley got the penalty winner in extra time. :wink:

What!

Your right that's the way that game went. There were so many games around the Totten era that we fought back and got a result. I just remember we were glad to get the game back to Perth. There was an Albion Rovers game around the same period I'm sure but I could be wrong here too, where we were getting bear 2-0 into the second half, they had supporters viewing the game from a hill ouside the ground and then Saints scored six goals in a row. :lol:

Getting back to the game I'm not sure what the saints lineup will be that night. With the 1sdt division and League Cup taking priority Owen may not play the whole of the first team. I'm not sure to be honest.

I'm sure there were 1st divsion games around 89/90 at McD where there was an 8,000 plus crowd against Morton, a 10,000 plus crowd against Partick Thistle and a 10,000 plus crowd against Airdrie. We were going strong. There is a popular view that when you've been down to the lowest divisions and come all the way back that the level of support is higher due to this rising trend, compared to sitting in the top three or so in the 1st division for several years where the crowds tend to fall off. Strange but true. Morton are going through this and their support will rise substantially for a while once they get back to division one. We would need to win the league to get the bulk of our supporters back.

Your right that's the way that game went. There were so many games around the Totten era that we fought back and got a result. I just remember we were glad to get the game back to Perth. There was an Albion Rovers game around the same period I'm sure but I could be wrong here too, where we were getting bear 2-0 into the second half, they had supporters viewing the game from a hill ouside the ground and then Saints scored six goals in a row. :lol:

5-2 against Albion Rovers Ronaldo... most fans had gone by that point and when they all come running back in, they were met by a chorus of "part time supporters" by the sad gits like me that stayed! Sammy Johnston was superb that day.

5-2 against Albion Rovers Ronaldo... most fans had gone by that point and when they all come running back in, they were met by a chorus of "part time supporters" by the sad gits like me that stayed! Sammy Johnston was superb that day.

That's the game Kev, it was quite amusing at the time. I thought if we get one back we might go on and get a draw. :lol: That was all out attack during these closing stages if ever I've seen it.