Paper Rounds / Saturday Jobs

fazman1977

Similarly when i was a nipper in the early 60's we used to go round the old phone boxes and in those days yuo had to put 4d (fourpence - now worth less than 2p) into the machine so you could dial the number you wanted. If the other person answered you pressed Button A to get connected or, if they did not answer (no answerphones in those days!!) you presed Button B to get your 4d back. Loads of folk didn't do this or did not lift all the pennies from the tray so we would go round pressing all the Button Bs and taking the money it gave us or lifting any loose coins that had not been taken. I those days 4d cuold get yuo a lot of sweeties etc or 3 pennyworth of chips and 4 chews.... And because there were so few phones in houses there were loads of red phone boxes all over the place so yuo could just cycle from one to the other and make a fortune, especially after Friday and Saturday nights when the drunks had been trying to use them :)

I bet you used to stuff a bit of cloth up to stop the coins dropping :laugh: :laugh:

P7 in the old man's shop in Scone (11?) 15p an hour. Berries, tatties and bales! then off to the County Hotel at 14 as dishwasher!

My 15 y/o laddie asked me a few months back "Why do you call it the tattie holidays?" sad but true!

Not worked a day yet, soft lad!!!!

I was aye jealous of my Morayshire/Aberdeenshire cousins who got a tattie holiday when we Glaswegians had to be at school. Mind you from what they tell me - tattie howking was hard backbreaking work.

Similarly when i was a nipper in the early 60's we used to go round the old phone boxes and in those days yuo had to put 4d (fourpence - now worth less than 2p) into the machine so you could dial the number you wanted. If the other person answered you pressed Button A to get connected or, if they did not answer (no answerphones in those days!!) you presed Button B to get your 4d back. Loads of folk didn't do this or did not lift all the pennies from the tray so we would go round pressing all the Button Bs and taking the money it gave us or lifting any loose coins that had not been taken. I those days 4d cuold get yuo a lot of sweeties etc or 3 pennyworth of chips and 4 chews.... And because there were so few phones in houses there were loads of red phone boxes all over the place so yuo could just cycle from one to the other and make a fortune, especially after Friday and Saturday nights when the drunks had been trying to use them :)

A bit off topic but when a kid I knew how to tap out a telephone number in a public phone box to get the call for free - you lifted the handset and tapped the handset rest. there was a code you tapped first - then the number.

Worked in River Island over Christmas as a 16 year old. Put me off Retail for life!

Why not get him to use his intiative and see if he can come up with something himself and create a website selling something? Stimulate him and let him actually learn as well. Would teach him more than rotting away in a shop or delivering papers. You couldn't really fail to earn more money...

I don't blame him for not wanting to go and rent his arse to someone for half minimum wage, people take youngsters for a ride. It's not very often I agree with Saint Pom but I do here.

I don't have my finger on the pulse these days with regards to what teenage kids are into but they're a huge market. If you use a host with good templates you don't have to have programming knowledge. Most kids these days are more than competent in these areas. The costs of running any small website is very cheap. I use www.123-reg.co.uk

Even if he didn't go down the sales route, he could offer a service, say grass cutting or something. Set up a website, get some proper flyers printed and advertise on local shop noticeboards, go round the doors locally, on gumtree and suchlike. There are plenty elderly people who struggle to do it and plenty other that can't be arsed! £5 one lawn, £7.50 for front and back, once a month.

You'd only need 40 people, 10 per weekend. £300 in his pocket for a day and half's work per week max.

Guy Laliberte, creator of Cirque Du Soleil is worth something like $2.3B, His advice for making any business a sucess is to trust in the young, be active in your local community and support good causes.

Edited by ryangordon86

Anyone know of jobs that a 14 year old laddie can take on these days?

Check out takeaways - usually a pretty high turnover of staff and tend to jump at anyone willing to work for them.

I worked in Jade Palace up the western edge when I was 14-15, couple of hours a few nights during the week and then a Saturday night.

I used to go to the game and then head up there afterwards.....usually half-cut :laugh: