Steam Nostalgia At Perth Station This Weekend

Kevin

Two big steam locos visiting Perth this weekend (if Roy pulls the correct signals) with Union of South Africa making its annual return about 8:00pm on Friday and the brand new Tornado on Saturday morning. Some great photo opportunities and memories for we oldies

"Northbound tonight - so up from Stirling way ?"

Yes, goes through Stirling about 7:15pm but best photos will be on the curve up from Larbert where the Edinburgh line joins the Glasgow one, some inline there and she will be chuffing big time.

Tomorrow's one will be through Stirling about 7:15-7:30am then about 7:45-8:00pm on the way back to Edinburgh. Tornado will also be doing the Kincardine circle on Sunday afternoon coming from Larbert direction then going off towards Dunfermline due back into Edinburgh about 7:15pm so probably somewhere around 4-5pm in Stirling

My recollection of the steam trains as a youngster was, once a year we as a family would travel on the train from Perth to Dundee , alight at the present station and walk to the other station to get the train to Broughty Ferry where we spent the whole day on the beach with our bucket and spade, before returning to Perth exhausted .

I say once a year, this was our annual holiday.

My wife's family travelled further afield, Carnoustie, not because they were more affluent , her Dad worked for British Railways and got free passes.

As the steam train chugged along, the noise made got us repeating " tatties and mince, tatties and mince".

Sounds crazy but as a kid it passed the miles.

My recollection 

As the steam train chugged along, the noise made got us repeating " tatties and mince, tatties and mince".

Sounds crazy but as a kid it passed the miles.

that was yonks ago today you would  be repeating 'voddy and coke,voddy and coke'

sounds crazy but it passes the time between gulps of voddy ,

as you watch the trolly dolly while ye are getting  trollyed.