V(ideo) A(ssistant) R(eferee).

HOODLUM65

In the Chelsea game last night, co- commentator (Robbie Savidge?) says "no penalty for me."

4 people in the studio said Penalty.

Var decision-Penalty.

Savidge saying if it had happened anywhere else on the pitch a foul would not have been awarded .

That may be so, as the Ref. may have decided to play on, giving the team advantage.

From what I observed the defender pulled at the Chelsea player twice with one hand and once with the other, causing him to overbalance and denying a clear goal scoring opportunity. 

A penalty in my humble opinion. 

27 minutes ago, south inch said:

We (and Hibs) will take part in Scotland's first VAR game on 21 October.

VAR viewed at Clydesdale House is to assist on-field Refs. in the event of a clear an obvious error, or a serious missed incident in relation to the following criteria :-

Straight red cards.

Penalty area incidents.

Goals.

Mistaken identification. 

Edited by HOODLUM65

6 hours ago, HOODLUM65 said:

VAR viewed at Clydesdale House is to assist on-field Refs. in the event of a clear an obvious error, or a serious missed incident in relation to the following criteria :-

Straight red cards.

Penalty area incidents.

Goals.

Mistaken identification. 

No offside ?.

• 2 weeks later...

A weird one at Livi where from a corner the Dons player raises a hand which is struck by the ball.

Play races to the other end and the Dons player is rugby tackled by Devlin (near the Livi 18 yd line) who gets booked for his tackle.

Before play can resume , Ref gets a shout that VAR are looking at potential penalty in the Dons box for the previous passage of play.

A penalty is awarded to Livi for the hand ball.

The penalty is scored puting Livi 2-0 up.

Yet , Devlin's yellow card is not recinded .

24 minutes ago, Cagey said:

All missed by Nick Walsh :laugh:.

Exactly , makes you wonder why Specsavers sponsor them. :laugh:

Had to look this up , Head of Referee Development Crawford Allan says

" The contribution from Specsavers also ensures our Refs receive the necessary supporting materials , including training kit, match wear and Technological & Sporting equipment". 

Just a pity that doesn't include an eye test , a pair of specs or contact lenses.

I think one thing VAR proves is that no matter how much technology is used, no matter how much help refs are given, people will still dispute and disagree with their decisions just as much as they ever did (possibly even more so). Being a ref is basically an impossible job.

Personally I'm bored of seeing every single decision obsessed over by every football show and highlights package, and discussed endlessly on the radio each week. Is it just me that doesn't actually care all that much?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/14/2022 at 3:41 PM, HOODLUM65 said:

No point in introducing VAR if the folk operating can't arrive at the correct decision.

They have more time than the onfield Ref., with endless replays, slo-mos etc.

Seems like they are more intent on backing the Refs. decision.

How Newcastle didn't get a penalty v Chelsea, only the VAR judge will know.

Stand by this statement.

• 2 weeks later...