Friendly v Berwick

Tranmere Saintee

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Temple reports up now - game was fairly one-sided. There were 4 trialists.

No2 - Right-back with spikey black hair. Seemed the best of the 4 IMHO, good on the ball and excellent passer. Didn't get forward as much though. Lasted 80 minutes.

No6 - Nice hairband. Central midfielder with an interesting line in bodychecking for a tackle. Had a couple of runs but looks too clumsy.

No9 - Daal clone. Scored the first from about 3yds out but did little else.

No11 - Latapy lookalike. Tried some fancy stuff but was on theleft wing and obviously right-footed. Pretty poor.

The other 3 trialists went off after about 70 minutes. Only the no2 seemed to get a wee chat from OC in the dugout and IMHO is the only one worth pursuing.

For the rest it was a pretty weak Saints side but the younger players came through well. Weatherston perhaps lacks some fitness but had a good 45 mins and set up the first goal. Moon had a good 20 minutes and scored a peach while McCluskey was on for the second-half and caused Berwick plenty of problems. Of the others Jacko was ok but lacked a killer instinct, Doris and Monaghan played well. Dyer was my MoM at left-back and Bobby Barr had a good 20 minutes or so on the right wing.

Temple reports up now - game was fairly one-sided. There were 4 trialists.

No2 - Right-back with spikey black hair. Seemed the best of the 4 IMHO, good on the ball and excellent passer. Didn't get forward as much though. Lasted 80 minutes.

No6 - Nice hairband. Central midfielder with an interesting line in bodychecking for a tackle. Had a couple of runs but looks too clumsy.

No9 - Daal clone. Scored the first from about 3yds out but did little else.

No11 - Latapy lookalike. Tried some fancy stuff but was on theleft wing and obviously right-footed. Pretty poor.

The other 3 trialists went off after about 70 minutes. Only the no2 seemed to get a wee chat from OC in the dugout and IMHO is the only one worth pursuing.

For the rest it was a pretty weak Saints side but the younger players came through well. Weatherston perhaps lacks some fitness but had a good 45 mins and set up the first goal. Moon had a good 20 minutes and scored a peach while McCluskey was on for the second-half and caused Berwick plenty of problems. Of the others Jacko was ok but lacked a killer instinct, Doris and Monaghan played well. Dyer was my MoM at left-back and Bobby Barr had a good 20 minutes or so on the right wing.

Can't disagree with much of that temple. The right back was certainly the pick of the trialists. Although i think, although far from spectacular, the other three certainly showed a little more than you mention. The central midfield player came on to a bit of a game at the end of the first/start of the second, after his clumsy ball control and tackling, and to be fair to huim didn't stop running. The striker had a few nice one touch passes, but i agree did very little apart from score a goal, he couldn't, but nearly did miss. The winger is a tough one, looked talented on the ball, but due to his one footed-ness continuously cut inside rather than taking his man on...ala mclaren. Tried to get involved but on occaisions it just didn't happen, he did however float a great ball in for Jacko's scoring header. I hope all four go over to Ireland so Coyle can get a closer look at them.

Overall, we were pretty dominante, against a team which offered little threat, i definatley felt even with our weaker side Arbroath offered more competition.

Can't disagree with much of that temple. The right back was certainly the pick of the trialists. Although i think, although far from spectacular, the other three certainly showed a little more than you mention. The central midfield player came on to a bit of a game at the end of the first/start of the second, after his clumsy ball control and tackling, and to be fair to huim didn't stop running. The striker had a few nice one touch passes, but i agree did very little apart from score a goal, he couldn't, but nearly did miss. The winger is a tough one, looked talented on the ball, but due to his one footed-ness continuously cut inside rather than taking his man on...ala mclaren. Tried to get involved but on occaisions it just didn't happen, he did however float a great ball in for Jacko's scoring header. I hope all four go over to Ireland so Coyle can get a closer look at them.

Overall, we were pretty dominante, against a team which offered little threat, i definatley felt even with our weaker side Arbroath offered more competition.

Only 20 players are going over I;ve been told, so I doubt they will be going.

Certainly agree that the right back certainly merits another run out (at Forfar?) and the blond mid-fielder would be worth another look as he did seem to come onto his game more as the game went by (maybe trying too hard to impress to begin with).

I was very impressed by the improvement shown by all the young lads and thought both Jacko & Mooner took their goals well.

I don't think I can fault any of the trialists for the effort they put in but remember at the same time we weren't playing Real Madrid. The no6 did come onto a better game but if he made challenges like that in the 1st Div he'd spend half his time in the stand (not that they were malicious, more clumsy).

The striker didn't offer anything I think - he was caught offside a few times, wasn't great in the air and seemed to lack control on the ground. The winger possibly suffered from being played out of position but at the same time I thought he still lost the ball too easily.

If we're only taking 20 to Ireland then I can't see any of the trialists going - more likely the 16 from Saturday plus McInnes, James and a couple of the youngsters.

Agree about the trialists, number 2 is the only one I think has much of a chance with us. The striker was breathing out of his arse after 10 minutes, the holding midfielder was incredibly clumsy and I'm not sure the number 11 will offer more than what we have, he wasn't a terrible player though.

Thought we were pretty impressive all told though, play the game the right way were always in control. All those involved can feel satisfied with their night's work.

Pictures of the trialists:

Spikey-Haired no2 - http://www.geocities.com/templeofsaints/saints/pictures/seas0708/p070717_t2.jpg

Hairband-wearing no6 - http://www.geocities.com/templeofsaints/saints/pictures/seas0708/p070717_t6.jpg

Scoring no9 - http://www.geocities.com/templeofsaints/saints/pictures/seas0708/p070717_t9.jpg

Latapy Impersonator no11 - http://www.geocities.com/templeofsaints/saints/pictures/seas0708/p070717_t11.jpg

I'm afraid my "Tommy Who?" days of searching the net to match picture to name are long gone though :)

As added in the other thread, number 2 is Ben (second name beginning with W possibly), number 9 is "Gilley" and number 11 is "wee man". :wink:

Though the no2 was "Greg" possibly? He was also chatting to a couple of guys in the home section when he came off so he might have links to Berwick / North-East?

No11 obviously has an unpronounceable first name given everyone called him "Wee man".

Though the no2 was "Greg" possibly? He was also chatting to a couple of guys in the home section when he came off so he might have links to Berwick / North-East?

Yeah, noticed him chatting to the guy and he drove off in a flash BMW after the game, in convoy with the other guys, all with matching personalised number plates!

Defo thought it was "Ben" though. :?

That's a lot like what I would say, with adding that I'd like to the see the right back up against it... he certainly looked a player, but was never under much pressure.

Agree with the temple maybe being a bit overly critical!

I think the winger aquitted himself well, I like a player who's not afraid to have a run at players, and we do need more cover on the right.

The holding midfield player had a shaky start and a few rash challenges early on but he had a really good engine, he came onto a bit of a game and constantly hustled Berwick off the ball.

Only question that needs asked is can they up it to 1st Div level and even SPL....