Saints vs. Greenock Morton 08/12/07

SJFC1988-

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Individual errors are killing us at the moment. We should have won today's game 2-0 but two horrendous errors of judgement cost us dearly.

The game is only minutes old when - under orders - Main takes a short goal kick to Stanic who knocks it inside to Anderson. Under a bit of pressure from Russell he goes to pass it back to Main but hits it far too hard and far too wide and into the net it rolls.

We actually played some decent stuff at times but the movement could have been better and I'm not keen on the 3-5-2. The defence had moments when they looked like they'd just met and captain Rutkiewicz in particular had a stinker.

Anyway, McInnes hooked himself at half-time (when he wasn't playing badly) and went 4-3-3 with Ando to right back and Irvine to centre midfield. It worked well - and credit to him for that - and we dragged ourselves back into the game with Savo winning a PK and then scoring a good goal himself.

Rutkiewicz then let himself and his teammates down, getting involved with McAlister of Morton and then moments later collecting a second yellow for what I can only assume was dissent. He was having a nightmare game and that compounded everything.

Despite being down to ten men, Morton didn't look like getting an equaliser until a deep harmless cross saw Alan Main for some reason decide to come for it. He soon realised he'd get nowhere near but couldn't back pedal in time and Weatherson sent a good looping header over him.

We'd looked comfortable with ten men and really frustrating that we were our own worst enemy today.

Garbage again, Anderson passed the ball into his own net trying to play it to Main, both were horrendous throughout.

Stanic was a disaster, for some reason McInnes thought playing him as a winger was a good idea- unsurprisingly it wasn't.

Rutki was awful throughout, not one pass went to a Saints player. He was booked for a dust up then clattered into someone off the ball and was booked again- no complaints from him so he knew he should have been off.

For most of the game we lumped the ball up the park, and somehow went 2-0 up despite hardly ever threatening. For about 20 minutes we looked a bit better but after that it was Saints panic stations as usual.

We played better after we went down to 10 men somehow- Jackson missed an absolute sitter from 4 yards out, then the defence continued to panic, forgetting that Templeton was on the pitch for Morton and he scored a header when a big punt up the pitch from Morton found him completely unmarked in the box and he looped the header over a flat footed Alan Main.

Overall, I have no idea how we managed to score 2 goals, Quinn was man of the match, despite hiding away for large parts of the game.

Another draw and we fall down the table, there's no chance at all of catching Dundee or Hamilton, thankfully Stirling and Dunfermline didn't pick up any points on us because we're not that far ahead of them and could easily be dragged down into a relegation battle.

Well that was another pile of pish.Every time I think it must get better it gets fecking worse.Very poor performances from too many Saintees. Where to start???? Lets start at the back.Irving was pretty gash for most of the match, Ando as well. McManus at least looked like he was trying and Goran did not cover himself in glory. Rusty was a disgrace :x .He was playing pish but we had started the second half looking like we would go on and get the three points, scored the two goals and were in the lead.( was only going to be one winner from that point on) then that clown gets himself red carded cos he canny keep his gob shut.Feck him .Oh! and Mr Main...Enough !!!! get him out of the team.The own goal although not directly his fault was caused because of confusion between him and Ando and the equaliser was another deep cross headed back over the top of him.Made a couple of standard saves but little else.Surley I'm not the only one who sees this problem???His time is up NOW!!!!!!

Midfield was poor in the first half but when Del went off we looked better and did enough in the second half to win the game only for Rusty to drop us in the shit.Rocco was in and out of the game but played okay as did Sheerin.

Up front I though Savo looked good and Peaso was not to bad. Jacko played well when he came on. I truly cannot believe that the boss brough Stewart on at the death. Waste of time . Get shot of him NOW!!!!!( What about Weatherston??surley a much better option)

All in all, a game (Like so many this season) that we should have won easy but conspired to make it hard for ourselves with the shocking start and Rustys indiscipline.Welcome to football management McInnes

The rather rotund lady is now singing and we have been chucked out of the Last Chance Saloon. Dundee will win the league and we'll be lucky to finish fourth. Bring on the Scottish cup!!!!!!:shock:

The game is only minutes old when - under orders - Main takes a short goal kick to Stanic who knocks it inside to Anderson. Under a bit of pressure from Russell he goes to pass it back to Main but hits it far too hard and far too wide and into the net it rolls.

Rutkiewicz then let himself and his teammates down, getting involved with McAlister of Morton and then moments later collecting a second yellow for what I can only assume was dissent. He was having a nightmare game and that compounded everything.

Despite being down to ten men, Morton didn't look like getting an equaliser until a deep harmless cross saw Alan Main for some reason decide to come for it. He soon realised he'd get nowhere near but couldn't back pedal in time and Weatherson sent a good looping header over him.

We'd looked comfortable with ten men and really frustrating that we were our own worst enemy today.

Radford a couple of points.

How do you work out that Main was under orders when he got pelters for it. Yes build from the back but at least have a look and see whether your full backs are covered before you give him the ball. main was ata fault, it was him taht shouted at stanic to take the ball not the other way round.

I think Rusti collected his second for a foul in midfield play then raced on with the ref playing advantage and then he booked him. Don't see taht he did much weong for his first booking.

Agree taht Main was totally at fault for the second caught in no mans land.

Aslo thought that the 4-3-3 worked well when he changed it at the start of the second.

How do you work out that Main was under orders when he got pelters for it. Yes build from the back but at least have a look and see whether your full backs are covered before you give him the ball. main was ata fault, it was him taht shouted at stanic to take the ball not the other way round.

Every goal kick in the first half (with the odd exception) was played short. I'd suggest it was a tactic employed by the manager in the conditions.

I think Rusti collected his second for a foul in midfield play then raced on with the ref playing advantage and then he booked him. Don't see taht he did much weong for his first booking.

Yeah, says on the official site it was for an off-the-ball challenge. It was so bad I missed it totally! Surprised a ref that up to that point had been so lenient gives him a second yellow for that. Don't think anyone can defend him over the first booking, he acted in an aggressive manner towards their player.

Aslo thought that the 4-3-3 worked well when he changed it at the start of the second.

Said as much myself. A big criticism of Coyle was his reluctance to change things until it was too late but McInnes made a big call at half time and it would have won us the game but for the indiscipline of the captain and the decision making of the goalkeeper. Don't like the 3-5-2 and 4-3-3 won't work every week but when we're chasing a game at home, it's ok.

Re Rutki, all I saw was the Morton player picking himself up and gesturing for a card, which the ref then showed.

Must have went right into him after the ball was played.

We played better with him off the park.

Mains pass to Anderson was awful as he had 2 players bearing down on him, but his pass back was worse.

Short goal kicks are what we employ because Main can't kick the ball anywhere near where he's aiming for, a bit like me playing golf. I don't play golf anymore.