The grin reaper is knocking at Partick's door

pezza70

Thistle close stand to cut costs

Second Division Partick Thistle have closed their Main Stand to the general public on match days.

Thistle's website stated: "This decision has been taken to save money, as the reduction in police and stewarding costs will be significant."

Holders of tickets for the directors box, sponsors area and lounges will remain in the Main Stand.

However, the Jackie Husband Stand holds 6,263 spectators and the North Stand 2,014, a total of 8,277.

Na think its a sensible measure to take by a 2nd division club. St Johnstone have shut down both the ormond and the away stand in recent times and our financial position is very very good.

Good move from thistle IMO... will save them money in the long run

well they were forced to get such a big ground by the SPL little did they know they were going to get hammered by us so many times and fly striaght down the first to!

i like partick though i used to live in the halls just along the road and got into a few games for quite cheap! most of the fans are nice people to unlike the unwashed who go to the other two areas of glasgow for "football"

• 2 weeks later...
Perry, I note from the title of your subject, the subtle change from Grim to Grin (sic).

I suppose the only people smiling at Thistle these days are the youngsters who cannot recall the glory years. :lol:

And here was me thinking it wiz just a 'typo' as per Stanley Saints "Old Firn" :)

Every team outside the old firm will have ups and downs through their history.

The present day is more precarious in terms of financial survival. I hope they do survive as we managed to do after a disasterous period in the late 80's

Partick were 4-0 up at half-time against the greatest Celtic team ever in a previous Scottish Cup final. They slackened off in the second half and only won 5-1. I think Alan Hansen played for Thistle around that time. I seen them when they introduced Maurice Johnston and he stood out a mile. I think he's coaching in one of the east coast American teams now (New York, New Jersey area I think). They were one of the first teams I seen as a kid and their red and yellow hoops were great. My granddad played for therm when the crowds in Glasgow had not totally skewed towards the old firm and away from Clyde, Third Lanark, Queens park and Thistle. They were all getting decent crowds once at least by today's standards but then .............................. what's the point.