Livingston vs. Saints 15/03/08

Strange with the games coming thick and fast that the pre-match threads quickly disappear!

Good news from the courier tonight seems to show that Jacko is available following his head knock but unfortunately is now addicted to morphine...

Del has said that only maximum points from the remaining games will give us a shot of promotion and that he is taking each game at a time.

Stanic should return and Craig is back from suspension. Thought it was good to see that he also accompanied Jacko to Ninewells on Tuesday night, every little helps when it comes to building a 'team' and when loan players are willing to do that I'm quite impressed with the team/friendships that are being built. Maybe a good sign for next season?

As a side note, Peaso is now sitting on 49 career goals for Saints, so if he scores on Saturday we should give him credit for reaching his half century. (Especially with the injury troubles he's had over the past few seasons.)

As far as the line up is concerned, I will leave that to our resident tacticians to speculate!

Would be great to see a win to keep confidence high before our shot at Hampden. 3-1 Saints after letting Livi have a head start.

Link to Courier: http://www.thecourier.co.uk/output/2008/03/14/sportstory11067679t0.asp

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

think the league is well past us now (even though hamilton are slippin up) so i think we should concentrate on gettin 2 hampden again :D

therefore i would rest a couple of players (like jako and savo) and give fringe players a shot ala davie and mooner

especially would like to see davie weatherston up-front against a team like livi

main

irvine - ando - mcmanus/james - stanic

rocco - moon - craig

weatherston - mcbreen/savo - peaso

I think we still have an obligation to play our strongest team. It would be gutting if Dundee and Accies collapse but we started mucking about with the side too early.

Goran and Liam Craig come straight back in for me and if Jacko is fit we go with the usual front three, which can either operate with Peaso wide left or with Savo in the hole behind Peaso and Jacko.

Ruti captains the side and we either go with Anderson at right back to do a job on Dorrans (if fit) like he did on Corcoran or he replaces McManus as centre half, which is maybe harsh as he's done well in the past couple of games.

If Ando is right back, Irvine plays in midfield, if not then I'd be tempted to go with Mooner ahead of Rocco alongside Morris and Craig.

Main

Irvine/Ando - Rutkiewicz - Ando/McManus - Stanic

Irvine/Moon - Morris - Craig

Jacko - Savo - Peaso

Subbies: Tucuth, James, Rocco, Sheerin, Wilson/Weatherston.

agree with radford b and with players coming back from suspension ther's going to be some big names missing out on the bench.

Interesting to see if Jacko starts after his knock-he'll need to play some of the game to be match fit for st midden game

i'll go

Main

Irvine Ando Rustybits Stanic

Mooner Jody Craig

Jacko Savo Peaso

Subs-Tucuth, James, Sheerin, Weatherston, McBreen(if fit)/Wilson

no place for McManus or Rocco

I think we still have an obligation to play our strongest team. It would be gutting if Dundee and Accies collapse but we started mucking about with the side too early.

QUOTE]

Totally agree I also think football can be a momentum game and if we start dabbling now then the cup games could be compromised too. Strongest team available and aim to win, another option is for another day.

I'm quite impressed with the team/friendships that are being built.

I did notice the same dodgy jacko hair cut being used by craig too. savo should have a word with them.

Would like to see us do livi over again i will be in the livi end making use of an extra season ticket because im skint.

another couple of goals and a clean sheet would be nice but i would take three points any which way.

Why do so many think Mooner will be in the first XI? Morris will be in the centre (rightly so) so that only leaves the right hand side where he competes against Rocco (a kinda Del signing and Wilson (yet to fail us). Yeah, Mooner looked good when he came on against Queens but he has played blindingly well before and been dropped.

I'm not sure I want Ando to start given he is suspended for the trip to Paisley; I'd consider giving the cup-tie starters more time together, assuming Stan is fit.

As with the others hats off to Liam Craig.

St Johnstone still have a slim chance of promotion from the First Division and travel to take on Livingston tomorrow (writes James Masson).

Although they sit 12 points adrift of leaders Hamilton, they have a game in hand and insist they will keep aiming for the No. 1 spot.

Two players set to be in their squad tomorrow face a shorter journey than most to get to Livingston’s ground.

Liam Craig and Andy Jackson live in nearby Falkirk and Denny respectively, so tomorrow’s match is virtually a home fixture for them.

Craig is now free of suspension and Jackson looks to have recovered from the head knock which made it necessary for him to be stretchered off against QOS at home on Tuesday.

Saints team boss Derek McInnes declared the teenage front man seems to be none the worse for his injury, and he has been back in training.

Saints still have a number of players out injured though.

Although Martin Hardie is back in full training, tomorrow’s match has come too soon for him, and also on the sidelines are Stuart McCaffrey, Daniel McBreen, Jamie McCluskey, Andy Lawrie, Greg Cameron and Sean Lynch.

However, Kevin Rutkiewicz looks to have recovered from a back knock and Goran Stanic, who missed the QOS win with an ankle problem, should be okay.

Derek was pleased with the contribution made by Barry Wilson when he appeared as a half-time substitute against QOS. He may start against Livi.

Saints came from behind to defeat Queens — and it’s not the first time that has happened this season.

Praising his players attitude, Derek went on, “We have a resolve to do well and a winning mentality.

“The players deserve credit. They came from behind against a QOS side on a good run and were 1-0 down when our leading scorer, Andy Jackson, was stretchered off. I hope, from now on, we get in front and stay there.

“The QOS victory was well earned and that’s what we have to do, earn our victories.â€

Livingston have had a disappointing season, but Derek knows they can present anxious moments.

“On their day, they are one of the most exciting teams in the league. They pass the ball well and have the ability to cause us loads of problems.

“My players know they will have to be at their best again tomorrow.â€

Fans attending Tuesday’s away Scottish Cup replay against St Mirren can buy tickets from the McDiarmid Park ticket office today until 5 pm. Use voucher No. 25 from the season-ticket book. There is a general sale tomorrow (10 am – noon) and Monday and Tuesday (9 am – 5 pm). Prices are £16/£10.

Looks like Big Jim reckons Bazza wil start on the right hand side of the midfield. Unless Jacko doesn't start and Wilson plays on the right of the front three?

How far away from 'starting' fitness is James? Wouldn't be surprised to see him get a run out.

With Anderson suspended for mid-week I reckon he'll start and one of the other defs will be given a rest.

I would bench Jackson as a precaution, his goals will be vital for the cup replay!

Main

Irvine, Anderson, James, Stanic

Quinn, Morris, Craig, Wilson

Milne, McDonald

Subs...take ur pick!

Another Saturday , another game and the lack of posts shows how much apathy there seems to be for this one.It,s all going a bit flat.Well maybe a good win for us today coupled with a draw at NDP might wake us up a bit.

We really have nothing to lose now so I hope that this means the players can relax and go out and play some great football. As for team selection, again a tricky one.We seem to have more options this week than we have had for a little while especially in the midfield.I might go for something like this...

Main

Irvine Ando Rusty Stanic

Wilson Craig Morris Sheerin

Jackson McDonald

Subs. Bert Tucuth,James, Milne,Moon,Weatherston,

No place for McManus or Quinn.......$-$-" or 4-4-2

I,m not able to go today so will have to suffer the agonies of the internet..

Maybe Saints will make it easy for me, but then again????

Come on the Yellow Army...