Who's leaving?

saintjohn

Now Collin Samuel has signed, I reckon we're going to be a few players over the 19 man squad that Del has been talking about.

I make it 21 first team players by the time we sign a new Goalkeeper, Left Back and the much fabled Target Man we've been after since Roddy retired.

Someone's bound to ask, so the 21 are

1 Main

2 Irvine

3 Anderson

4 James

5 Rutki

6 McCaffrey

7 Sheerin

8 Craig

9 Morris (if he signs)

10 Hardie

11 Millar

12 Moon

13 Swankie

14 Weatherson

15 Peaso

16 Savo

17 Jackson

18 Samuel

plus the three above.

I reckon that means Del will be trying to move some players on, but given he's signed or re-signed most of the current squad it doesn't leave many candidates.

Does anyone else think James (injuries), Weatherson (form) or even Savo (Samuel is a fairly similar) could be on their way?

Does anyone else think James (injuries), Weatherson (form) or even Savo (Samuel is a fairly similar) could be on their way?

It's definitely crossed my mind that Weatherston could be on his way out. I really struggle to see how he's going to get in the team. I even think Savo might struggle a bit for a regular place if others live up to expectations.

I also think there would be no shortage of takers for Kevin James and that would have allowed McInnes to keep McManus, so can't see that one happening unless he has another centre back lined up.

There is no chance we'll be running with eighteen players (including two goalkeepers) for next season, despite what McInnes has said.

Totally agree with all of that. I still think James is our first choice defender, and there's no way he's on the way out. I also think we'll end up with a squad that's quite a bit bigger than 18/19.

I don't see us signing a big target man as well as Samuel so that brings the squad down to 20 (with a left back and a reserve keeper. I hope we will be playing a lot more on the deck this year so I don't think its a priority and Martin Hardie can do a shift up front when needed.

I wouldn't rule out Sheerin being our new left back (though Dixon would be good) so numerically we are getting close to Del's preferred number.

And I suspect Weatherston , Moon and Sheerin could end up as fringe players unless we are unfortunate with injuries.

Must say I like the squad McInnes is putting together for next year. I think this could be the year!

I think del has made this 18/19 comment so that there is a lot of competition for places, you can't have a squad of 18/19 during a season, i don't think Hardie, James, Savo, McCaffrey etc will stay fit throughout the full season, and when you take into account suspensions we'll struggle with that size of squad.

Totally agree with all of that. I still think James is our first choice defender, and there's no way he's on the way out. I also think we'll end up with a squad that's quite a bit bigger than 18/19.

Wouldn't agree with that. I think the only reason we got rid of McManus is because James won a 2-year deal from OC last summer, and the chairman made it clear we couldn't carry perma-subs that could only manage one position.

But for the 2-year contract, I think James would have been released.

can i just say i assume that Del means a 18/9 man squad excluding goalkeepers i assume as radford said a 16/7 outfield squad would be a bit tight but if it is 18/9 out field and two goalies i think that is it. but i really an waiting to see who the gaolie, target man and left back's are that McInnes wants and who he will get.

I agree, when del talks of a 19 man squad he has set without goalkeepers and loans in mind, he will loan out kerr and Doris. I'm still certain we will sign a goalkeeper, left back, target man and jody morris and we will run with a full time outfield competitive squad of 19 full time players trying to get in the starting line up every week:

1.Irvine 2.James 3.Rutkeiwicz 4.Anderson 5.McCaffrey 6.Left Back 7.Sheerin 8.Craig 9.Millar 10.Morris 11.Hardie 12.Weatherson 13.Moon 14.Swankie 15.Savo 16.Peaso 17.Samuel 18.Target man 19.Jackson

Surely he's proven he can play at a lower level? Weatherston needs experience of full-time football at this club. He showed in the last few games of the season, with numerous assists, what he's capable of if given a chance.

Totally agree.

The lad needs a decent run in the team before he can be properly judged.

Also, it's important to remember that he was employed as a striker at Queens Park.

Last season he was asked to play out wide in a position that was new to him, in a tougher league. It's quite a big ask, especially if some fans on here want to see a superstar straight away.

Surely he's proven he can play at a lower level? Weatherston needs experience of full-time football at this club. He showed in the last few games of the season, with numerous assists, what he's capable of if given a chance.

Going out on loan's not just about proving yourself though. It can also be about getting match practice and building up your form and confidence. If Weatherston went down to the Second Division for 3 or 4 months and banged in a lot of goals, he could conceivably be far more likely to break into Del's starting plans when he returns.

I agree that he needs full-time experience at this club, but that doesn't mean he's automatically going to get it. As things stand, I can't help but feel he's quite a bit down the pecking order. I'm not saying I'd send him out straight away but, if he's barely played by the time we reach the end of the transfer window, I think it would make a lot of sense.