The "Credit Crunch" and St Johnstone FC.

O'Rourke

I said it on another thread......our beautifull game is going to change, and soon!"

How many clubs are set to lose their sponsors?

Maybe this won't affect Brand Manchester United, but what about "lesser" lights such as our beloved heros? I mentioned a few months back about the trials and tribulations of George Wimpey!

Troubled times ahead I fear. My advice, for what it's worth, invest in youth big style. Give TC and his troops big support because there are going to be casualties in the game we love over the next wee while.

It wasn't so very long ago we aspired to be in the BANK OF SCOTLAND Premier League!

I said it on another thread......our beautifull game is going to change, and soon!"

How many clubs are set to lose their sponsors?

Maybe this won't affect Brand Manchester United, but what about "lesser" lights such as our beloved heros? I mentioned a few months back about the trials and tribulations of George Wimpey!

Troubled times ahead I fear. My advice, for what it's worth, invest in youth big style. Give TC and his troops big support because there are going to be casualties in the game we love over the next wee while.

It wasn't so very long ago we aspired to be in the BANK OF SCOTLAND Premier League!

now we can aspire to get into the halifax bank of scotland llyods trustee savings bank league!!!

Luckily Saints are the best run club in the country, so could probably cope better than most if sponsorship income dropped or disappeared. Geoff has his critics but for as long as he's around we know we have a sound future, which I doubt many clubs in Scotland could say.

the credit crunch will start to hit the number of paying fans through the doors... especially away fans travelling distances...

its a shame but there are going to be tough times ahead.

Also, a lot of the "bigger" teams have their overdraft facilities with the bank of scotland (HBOS). I wonder if they will get as favorable terms going forward...

the credit crunch will start to hit the number of paying fans through the doors... especially away fans travelling distances...

its a shame but there are going to be tough times ahead.

Also, a lot of the "bigger" teams have their overdraft facilities with the bank of scotland (HBOS). I wonder if they will get as favorable terms going forward...

I recall how horrified Halifax executives were when they took over the BOS and saw how "generous" the bank was with Scottish football clubs.

They could have caused turmoil then, perhaps there is turmoil ahead now.

These are changing and challenging times.

The point about lack of travelling support is a massive issue... there was only 8000-odd at Killie v Celtic... and I read somewhere that close on 5,000 were Killie... you know it's bad when you can only get 4,000ish glory hunters and we all know fine well that there will be much more than 4,000 Cellic supporters in Kilmarnock alone.

The point about lack of travelling support is a massive issue... there was only 8000-odd at Killie v Celtic... and I read somewhere that close on 5,000 were Killie... you know it's bad when you can only get 4,000ish glory hunters and we all know fine well that there will be much more than 4,000 Cellic supporters in Kilmarnock alone.

There is a big problem in the SPL at the moment with the tickets for the away fans. Celtic and Rangers wanted to take 5% of all they sell and the other clubs are revolting. I see Hibs are selling the tickets to Rangers fans direct.

When the likes of Northern Rock , HBOS are tumbling how secure are Heart's Bankers Ukio Bankas ? Wages not being paid etc. Never mind away crowds falling - a Major Club could well go under.

Well Im no financial expert but were the problems HBOS suffered not directly caused by short term share dealing that made the price fluctuate then bad press which opened them up to the takeover from lloyds TSB as there worth had deterioated to such an etent that they got it for peanuts

When the likes of Northern Rock , HBOS are tumbling how secure are Heart's Bankers Ukio Bankas ? Wages not being paid etc. Never mind away crowds falling - a Major Club could well go under.

Ukio look like they are suffering along with the rest of the banking sector, their shares are at a 52 week low today, 46% down on the year. Hard times ahead for hearts i fear.

Well Im no financial expert but were the problems HBOS suffered not directly caused by short term share dealing that made the price fluctuate then bad press which opened them up to the takeover from lloyds TSB as there worth had deterioated to such an etent that they got it for peanuts

The problem for all the Banks is liquidity i.e. they are unwilling to lend to each other as they fear they may not get the money back (on the back of dodgy lending). This has pushed up the cost of borrowing and made Banks like HBOS who are heavily dependant on borrowing money in this way (rather than using their own depositors funds) extremely vulnerable. HBOS was on the way out owing to the markets view of them as a company.

Again I return to my earlier point how does Ukio Bankas stand, what capital does it have ? How does it finance it's operations ?

All this may seem obscure and irrelevant on a site like this - but Hearts are inextricably linked to this Bank. This could spell the end for Hearts.

HBOS were not heavily into lending from other banks though. The BOS part of HBOS was an incredibly profitable business. The H part was a major mortgage lender. The problem for HBOS was that they were targeted by the traders because they were an easy target due to their massive holdings in the UK mortgage market, and lots of that debt is on a shoogly peg due to their lending policy. The money coming in from the BOS, and the HBOS group in general was enough to cover the Halifax issues but the traders took advantage, seen an opportunity for next years bonus and killed off a major institute in Scottish Banking. I would throw them all in jail.

HBOS were not heavily into lending from other banks though. The BOS part of HBOS was an incredibly profitable business. The H part was a major mortgage lender. The problem for HBOS was that they were targeted by the traders because they were an easy target due to their massive holdings in the UK mortgage market, and lots of that debt is on a shoogly peg due to their lending policy. The money coming in from the BOS, and the HBOS group in general was enough to cover the Halifax issues but the traders took advantage, seen an opportunity for next years bonus and killed off a major institute in Scottish Banking. I would throw them all in jail.

HBOS had to find refinancing for £110bn within the next 3 months. The fact that the deal has been done so quikly with LLoyds shows taht this was on the cards long before the money men started gambling with the shares on the Monday, indeed money was being withdrawn at a frightening rate the week before.