New Saints anthem?

dc

With the Ormond singalong day coming up I thought it'd be a good time to raise the idea of a new Saints pre-match anthem. The song is "My Old Friend The Blues" by The Proclaimers (from the Sunshine on Leith album), the lyrics are very fitting and it has an anthemic slow paced "You'll never walk alone" feel to it, particularly towards the end of the song.

Here's the song and lyrics, whilst you're listening picture a packed Ormond stand with scarves raised above heads singing along -

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ucgUKCeQlwM

Just when every ray of hope was gone

I should have known that you would come along

I can't believe I ever doubted you

My old friend the blues

Another lonely night, a nameless town

If sleep don't take me first, you'll come around

'Cause I know I can always count on you

My old friend the blues

Lovers leave and friends will let you down

But you're the only sure thing that I've found

No matter what I do I'll never lose

My old friend the blues

Just let me hide my weary heart in you

My old friend the blues

Given the occasion I think it would be great to try it out and guage the reaction, I'm not aware of any other clubs who play this either.

With the Ormond singalong day coming up I thought it'd be a good time to raise the idea of a new Saints pre-match anthem. The song is "My Old Friend The Blues" by The Proclaimers (from the Sunshine on Leith album), the lyrics are very fitting and it has an anthemic slow paced "You'll never walk alone" feel to it, particularly towards the end of the song.

Here's the song and lyrics, whilst you're listening picture a packed Ormond stand with scarves raised above heads singing along -

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ucgUKCeQlwM

Given the occasion I think it would be great to try it out and guage the reaction, I'm not aware of any other clubs who play this either.

Cracking song that could be released by the Saints squad via one of Soulful saints many musical contacts......top of the league and the charts at the same time :eek:

500 miles I can play after the teams run out and before they kick off, no problem but "My Old Friend The Blues"?? Snore time there and why would we want to play a Hibs fan song anyway?

I will put up on the Matchday music forum a few suggestions for a vote but please remember, the Pipe and Drum band will be doing most of the music on Saturday.

"My Old Friend The Blues"?? Snore time there and why would we want to play a Hibs fan song anyway?

A staggeringly ignorant comment. As Saint Jason mentioned above it is not a "Hibs fan song", it was written by American singer-songwriter Steve Earle, which the Proclaimers later covered. They may be Hibs fans but clearly it has nothing to do with them.

As for "snore time there", that comment probably says more about you than the song. Nevermind, this does mean I can continue my long-held policy of going indoors at half-time to avoid the usually awful stadium announcements and music. Thank you for giving the song your brief consideration.

A staggeringly ignorant comment. As Saint Jason mentioned above it is not a "Hibs fan song", it was written by American singer-songwriter Steve Earle, which the Proclaimers later covered. They may be Hibs fans but clearly it has nothing to do with them.

As for "snore time there", that comment probably says more about you than the song. Nevermind, this does mean I can continue my long-held policy of going indoors at half-time to avoid the usually awful stadium announcements and music. Thank you for giving the song your brief consideration.

Tis the old story....you cant force folk to like or dislike a particular piece of music.......ive never been a fan of 500 miles-walking all that way to a burds house and falling down at her door....could she not have met the poor guy half way.

Wasnt 500 miles a hibs fans composition too !!