John Barnes for the super whites!!

THE LARK SAINT

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would seem like failed Celtic manager John Barnes will be named as new Tranmere boss tommorow!! what do people think?? how will he do as a manager in his second attempt??

Difficult to assess a guy who was let down by so many players at Celtic...i hope the guy does well ..But - who knows.

I was speaking to a guy I know who is a Celtic fan ad he said that that John Barnes had a good spell at celtic but then Larrson broke his leg and Barnes could not repeat the form that the team had been playing before. Celtic were very heavily a one man team for long spells. He just got unlucky I suppose.

Let's face it - Barnes was plunged straight into the deep end at Celtic and was never given a fair chance. He was treated pretty poorly there and, really, should never have taken that job in the first place. Since then he's done a very good job as as manager of Jamaica and it was inevitable that someone from the lower leagues in England would be willing to give him a go. It's a bit of a gamble from Tranmere, but it's a far more sensible match-up than him and Celtic ever was.

• 1 month later...
I hope and pray it will be in the very near future and we could well be playing Slumberland in the Nationwide next season:laugh:

I don't think there's very much chance of that.

We may have grossly overpaid for Darren Bent but we finally seem to be getting our act together on the pitch. I was over in Amsterdam to see us beat Atletico Madrid 2-0 and we were fantastic.

John Barnes though :laugh::laugh::laugh:

John Barnes took up the role and promised us players with Premiership calibre and lots of wheeling and dealing through his contacts... the season kicks off on Saturday, and we have a 17 and a 19 year old defender who have played 0 and 10 games respectively... another youngster on loan... they are defending the goal of a 19 year old on-loan goalie... he has made only one signing that wasn't already arranged.

The club ending up on e-bay sums up the situation just now... Peter Johnson (toffee bassa) is trying to sell and thinks having us in the media is more important than success on the pitch... I feel Barnes is there for the raised profile and little else more.

That said, I'll be backing him to the hilt, but will never forget his "these things even themselves out over a season after another shoddy, soft free-kick saved Celtic's ass at McyD!

Oh and on the subject of Sunderland, you are only as good as your last game between us... remember Stephen Frail... "12 men... we only need 12 men!"

0,,10365~6827595,00.jpg

Clueless.

Yeovil Town 2-0 Tranmere Rovers

<table><tr><td>20</td><td>Carlisle</td><td>1</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>1</td><td>1</td><td>3</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>-2</td> <td align="right">0</td></tr><tr><td>21</td><td>Tranmere</td><td>1</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>1</td><td>0</td><td>2</td><td>-2</td><td align="right">0</td> </tr><tr><td>22</td><td>Swindon Town</td><td>1</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>1</td><td>0</td><td>5</td><td>-5</td><td align="right">0</td></tr><tr><td>23</td><td>Norwich City</td><td>1</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>1</td><td>1</td><td>7</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>-6</td><td align="right">0</td></tr><tr><td>24</td><td>Southampton</td><td>1</td><td>0</td><td>1</td><td>0</td><td>1</td><td>1</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td align="right">0</td><td>-9</td></tr></table>

Edited by Dev

Retribution will be swift come Saturday after you are humbled by Notlob and by Tuesday you will be really down in the dumps after Chelsea give you a real gubbing :laugh:

Bring it on! Top ten and progress for us this season methinks.

Don't tell me you'll be supporting Bolton on Saturday? Surely that goes against the Tranmere grain? I've heard Kev talking about Bolton before and surely this one thread can't change that?!

0,,10365~6827595,00.jpg

Clueless.

Yeovil Town 2-0 Tranmere Rovers

<table><tr><td>20</td><td>Carlisle</td><td>1</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>1</td><td>1</td><td>3</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>-2</td> <td align="right">0</td></tr><tr><td>21</td><td>Tranmere</td><td>1</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>1</td><td>0</td><td>2</td><td>-2</td><td align="right">0</td> </tr><tr><td>22</td><td>Swindon Town</td><td>1</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>1</td><td>0</td><td>5</td><td>-5</td><td align="right">0</td></tr><tr><td>23</td><td>Norwich City</td><td>1</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>1</td><td>1</td><td>7</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>-6</td><td align="right">0</td></tr><tr><td>24</td><td>Southampton</td><td>1</td><td>0</td><td>1</td><td>0</td><td>1</td><td>1</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td align="right">0</td><td>-9</td></tr></table>

Did he not look like that, when he was at Celtic as well.

Don't tell me you'll be supporting Bolton on Saturday? Surely that goes against the Tranmere grain? I've heard Kev talking about Bolton before and surely this one thread can't change that?!

Most certainly not - even though it is their ex-manager rather than them that I detest.

Just have this feeling that your boys are going to start badly, but not as badly as it looks like Tranmere will be doing.

Just have this feeling that your boys are going to start badly, but not as badly as it looks like Tranmere will be doing.

I hope not - we have a fairly decent start to the season really:

Bolton Wanderers (a)

Chelsea (h)

Blackburn Rovers (h)

Stoke City (a)

Hull City (h)

Burnley (h)

Wolverhampton Wanderers (h)

You'd be looking for a good points haul from that, at least double figures anyway.

Unlike you lot, who are looking at home games against the mighty Gillingham and Franchise FC and wondering where the points are going to come from. One game in and Barnes is already out of his depth.

sunshade-baby-paddling-pool.jpg

2 games in and Barnes is now being touted as the next manager for Man U when Fergie retires:laugh:

I'm assuming many of Grimsby's top players were away on international duty - if you wish to celebrate this hollow victory then that's fine by me. Even John Connolly managed a couple of good results in his time. One swallow doesn't make a summer.

John Barnes' Super White Army will fall apart shortly, mark my words.