Balls up at Sunderland

ancientsaint

Just saw a bit about a strange goal in the Sunderland v Liverpool game......BENT fired in a shot which "hit" a stray BEACHBALL that had encroached onto the park.......Bents shot hit the Beachball and deflected.....Reyna =the Liverpool keeper dived to save the "Beachball" as the match ball entered the net......GOAl to Sunderland.......think its on MOTD tonight on BBC1.

I wasn't quite following the conversation on MOTD last night, but were they trying to suggest that the rules say it should have been a drop ball as the ball hit an object that shouldn't have been there?

Correct - it shouldn't have been allowed to stand. Much the same way if the ball strikes a substitute or a dog that has run on the pitch etc etc. Play can only go on if it hits something meant to be on the field of play (ie 22 players, referee, assistant - if too close to the touchline to stop the ball going out in full - and the goalframes/corner flags).

Jeff Winter was on the tadio this morning (talking shite as usual) saying this is more worrying than the whole ball over the line debates as it is a clear lack of understanding of the laws - yet everybody (including Liverpool) seem to be having a laugh about it! And the little kid who knocked it onto the park should be named and shamed :laugh:

Correct - it shouldn't have been allowed to stand. Much the same way if the ball strikes a substitute or a dog that has run on the pitch etc etc. Play can only go on if it hits something meant to be on the field of play (ie 22 players, referee, assistant - if too close to the touchline to stop the ball going out in full - and the goalframes/corner flags).

Jeff Winter was on the tadio this morning (talking shite as usual) saying this is more worrying than the whole ball over the line debates as it is a clear lack of understanding of the laws - yet everybody (including Liverpool) seem to be having a laugh about it! And the little kid who knocked it onto the park should be named and shamed :laugh:

Bear in mind tho the Referee's view and that of his assistant -who were of the view -as was Benitez-that the ball struck the Liverpool defender...easy to decide after a few re-runs.

Cheers for clarifying Chops. My memory is a bit hazy about a similar incident a couple of seasons ago where I think Man City were done in by the ball hitting a balloon just as a defender was about to clear it. Surely if the rule is that there should be a drop ball then the officials should have been aware of it?

Bear in mind tho the Referee's view and that of his assistant -who were of the view -as was Benitez-that the ball struck the Liverpool defender...easy to decide after a few re-runs.

Ancient, I wholeheartedly agree - everything can't be seen (it should, but always difficult!). Must admit, if I hadn't heard about it on the radio home, from the assistant's view it would have looked like Johnson deflected it in. Though the fact the beach ball moved in such a way would have to give an idea that it may have hit that.

Nips, I think if i remember the incident the ball didn't hit the balloon and it may have been the player kicked the balloon instead of the ball therefore that goal was correctly allowed to stand. If the ball hit the balloon, then play should have been stopped. Man City away at Sheffield United so Mark can let us know as he will remember it better than any of us!

Radio5 Live had a referee on at 5:00 Saturday to say the goal should not have stood as the ball came off an object that should not have been on the pitch (couldn't we claim that for Boyd's goal on Saturday???? :D). I am sure Chopper or The Mad Referee will be able to give us their expert opinions

Radio5 Live had a referee on at 5:00 Saturday to say the goal should not have stood as the ball came off an object that should not have been on the pitch (couldn't we claim that for Boyd's goal on Saturday???? :D). I am sure Chopper or The Mad Referee will be able to give us their expert opinions

No, radio 5 live had "3 card magician" Graham Poll on, not a referee!

Law 5 of the laws of the game state that the referee:

- stops suspends or abandons the match because of outside interferance of any kind

This happens often on the public park if a dog runs on and stops players progressing (note the dog is not shown a yellow card when he invariably trips said player!). Play is stopped where the ball is when the outside interferance occurs (in the beach ball case, the 6 yard line where the football hit the beach ball) and play is restarted with a dropped ball.