Rangers vs St Johnstone, Hampden Park, Wed 3rd Feb, 7:35pm

Shibbydoo

That would have been my call.

Gartland is a liability & Craig is slow & is either carrying an injury or too much weight.

Sheridan should not have been up front on his own. We put a lot of pressure on them when Savo & Peaso played up front. When Del going to learn that with our defence we have to push forward.

You`re right. I`ve been saying that aboot gartland for months now an he gets no better and craig is the weak link in midfield

• Replies 806
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to be honest i havent been to many games this season but i think that tonights perfomance not only from the players but the back room staff was thw worst ive seen all season. tacticly we started wrong we should have matched them from the start not waited till half time when we are two behind second half we were mutch better in my opinion but overall this stems back to giving the old firm far to much respect!!! and as for the gary irvine slaters of late for me he was by far the mom tonight and is starting to regain some of the form and potential he showed last season the reason so many of you were desparate for him to sign the extension to his contract. at the end of the day i would rather loose 7-0 to either half of the old firm and have had a go than loose 2-0 to a rangers reserve squad in a first half that we didnt even try to win the game.

Temple reports up now - thought we played ok at times but lacked any real punch. Choice of Sheridan was a surprise but he played ok early on, the goals knocked the stuffing out of us.

Savo played well when he came on but I thought Peaso looked slow - the whole midfield improved in the 2nd half - whether that was because we were more balanced without Fil or TFOD sitting off us I'm not sure.

We'll learn from this - it's a diddy cup anyway :)

I agree with that, I thought Sheridan was fine and looked as if he could be a target man in a 4-4-2 along with Milne/Peaso, he certainly upset their defence. When we did go to two forwards the midfield had more players to hit and play off. Still a gap at the back which Rangers exploited by long balls but we did well to defend on the last gasp on occasions particularly Irvine and Mackay. Odd first goal and scrappy second goal but Saints effort couldn't be denied. I thought Rangers were quite good :shock: and did a job on us but we'll be back!

These things happen, on paper we had no right to win that game and we didn't. If i was going to nit-pick I would be looking at the formation we went out with which in recent times has only really worked with Samuel up top but in fairness we did creat a couple of opportunities.

In terms of our defence they jammed a deflection which allowed their scorer to strike the ball from a position that was undefendable (off the pitch). I don't know what he rules are on that and hopefully someone more interested takes the opportunity to look it up.

The second goal was a straight forward clogger that somehow seemed to evade the grasp of a normally dependable Smith. Deflection, poor positioning? make your own mind up- it matters not a jot.

Second half, watch the clock... Saints dominated with the **** hitting on the break and being awarded a soft penalty. Karma saved it and again we created more chances but were let down with bad decisions or lack of ability.

It was a decent performance I can assure anyone who is exasperated from the experience. Don't get too down-hearted, chin up and lets move things forward.

Sheridan is awful. Those that have slated Deuchar this year wanna compare saturday with tonight. Sheridan is the only player I've ever witnessed who jumps for a ball and lands back on the deck before he should have initially jumped. Twice tonight he done that. He is lazy, devoid of talent and is pushing McLean for worst Del capture in the current squad. What a waste of a wage. Can't believe folks are defending him.

Oh aye, where are the anti-Irvine brigade tonight? Have they forgotten their scripts, he dives in rashly, his positioning is crap, he cannae pass, he cannae cross....

Livid. Semi Final of the Cup and we go one up front? FFS. Grab the game by the scruff and attack them.

How many points have we won when starting with this stupid 4-5-1 - A big fat Zero!!!

As a First Division Side we went at Rangers 4-3-3 and ran them close. Negative football. Boo Hoo!

If we had a fit Sammy, you could see the logic.

To have Peaso on the bench was just plain criminal. No ambition, no guts, they were there for the taking.

Bad, bad decision.

Bring on United.

Thanks Del. Master stroke, there, putting on the striker least deserving out of our entire squad of a start in a national semi final up front of his own, going 4-1-4-1, taking off our only attacking threat in the second half. Fantastic tactics.

I'm sure Deuchar, Peaso and Savo's morale will be sky high after they worked so hard in recent weeks only to be deprived of a start by the laziest player at the club who's done nothing of note in his career at all, not least during the whole two games he played for us.

Obviously going 4-4-2 in only one half was a great decision. Playing it tight and shipping two goals then attacking in the second half and conceding none and getting a baw's hair breadth away from scoring was really astute. I hate to see a manager that learns from their mistakes and keeps a winning team, thankfully Del is certainly not one of those.

Capital work, boss.

-Cynical xxx

Smith had a poor game tonight. I thought he was at fault in the opening stages when Novo was through and also when we had one off the line shortly after.

I would like to see the 2nd goal again as it seemed to go right through him and he was getting critisced for the penalty that they got (which he saved!!)

Edited by Mike180279

Smith had a poor game tonight. He thought he was at fault in the opening stages when Novo was through and also when we had one off the line shortly after.

I would like to see the 2nd goal again as it seemed to go right through him and he was getting critisced for the penalty that they got (which he saved!!)

Smith had a mare in the opening stages, but sensational work by MegaDave and Irvine saved our skins on more than a few occasions. Far too many wayward kicks, too.

Sheridan is awful. Those that have slated Deuchar this year wanna compare saturday with tonight. Sheridan is the only player I've ever witnessed who jumps for a ball and lands back on the deck before he should have initially jumped. Twice tonight he done that. He is lazy, devoid of talent and is pushing McLean for worst Del capture in the current squad. What a waste of a wage. Can't believe folks are defending him.

Oh aye, where are the anti-Irvine brigade tonight? Have they forgotten their scripts, he dives in rashly, his positioning is crap, he cannae pass, he cannae cross....

Here bawbag, most folk were slatin irvine for his tannadice performance which was frankly rotten. Saturday he was better an tonight man o the match. As for sheridan he offered more movement in the first 5mins than deuchar does in 90. I dont think he is good by any stretch of the imagination but once up to speed will be miles better than kenny

Here bawbag, most folk were slatin irvine for his tannadice performance which was frankly rotten. Saturday he was better an tonight man o the match. As for sheridan he offered more movement in the first 5mins than deuchar does in 90. I dont think he is good by any stretch of the imagination but once up to speed will be miles better than kenny

Bollocks to that. There was absolutely no justification for starting Murder. Del stabbed Peaso, Savo and Dukes in the back.

Thanks Del. Master stroke, there, putting on the striker least deserving out of our entire squad of a start in a national semi final up front of his own, going 4-1-4-1, taking off our only attacking threat in the second half. Fantastic tactics.

I'm sure Deuchar, Peaso and Savo's morale will be sky high after they worked so hard in recent weeks only to be deprived of a start by the laziest player at the club who's done nothing of note in his career at all, not least during the whole two games he played for us.

Obviously going 4-4-2 in only one half was a great decision. Playing it tight and shipping two goals then attacking in the second half and conceding none and getting a baw's hair breadth away from scoring was really astute. I hate to see a manager that learns from their mistakes and keeps a winning team, thankfully Del is certainly not one of those.

Capital work, boss.

-Cynical xxx

Was oor best chance in the match no in the first half?:rolleyes:

Bollocks to that. There was absolutely no justification for starting Murder. Del stabbed Peaso, Savo and Dukes in the back.

Deuchar was injured, otherwise I think he'd have started ahead of Sheridan if Del wanted a target man up front.

Personally I'd rather see 2 strikers but the 4-1-4-1 was doing the business early on. We just couldn't create much. We improved a lot after the break with Savo and Sheridan up front. I thought Peaso was pretty disappointing when he came on - he seemed to be bossed out of the game too easily.

Saying that, I'd still start Peaso and Savo on Saturday in a straight 442. We need to play to our strengths and let the opposition worry about us for a change.

Deuchar was injured, otherwise I think he'd have started ahead of Sheridan if Del wanted a target man up front.

Personally I'd rather see 2 strikers but the 4-1-4-1 was doing the business early on. We just couldn't create much. We improved a lot after the break with Savo and Sheridan up front. I thought Peaso was pretty disappointing when he came on - he seemed to be bossed out of the game too easily.

Saying that, I'd still start Peaso and Savo on Saturday in a straight 442. We need to play to our strengths and let the opposition worry about us for a change.

I bloody hope so, he should have been sky high with confidence after his little streak. I really hope thats not been flattened too much

Get the ball to peaso and he will bring the goals!

Our best performances have been 4-4-2s. This was the semi final of the cup. One thing managers are often quoted as saying to players before such occasions is "don't leave the pitch with any regrets". I wonder how many will be wondering "what if" Del had bothered playing to our strengths. We all ripped into Rangers for playing one up front in the UEFA Cup final, but that was playing to their strengths. If we'd played to our strengths tonight, oh how different this discussion could be. Instead McInnes bottled it.

Well to be honest I am embarrassed by that tonight - embarrassed to be a Saintee and I never thought I'd be that after a semi-final.

Tactically-very poor

Performance - worse than poor

In all honesty, we troubled them more as first division side in both of the last two seasons than we did tonight. It was a diabolical performance made better by the fact it was snowing and I had a beer or two with the legend that is John Pelosi pre-match.

Frankly embarrassing to see and waste money on that tonight. No wonder there were so few of us - it was as if we were a third division team against Man United.