#24 - 27/1/10 - Dundee Utd 3-3 Saints - SPL

It's these daft points that will cost us tops six.

Getting a bit ahead of yourself 101 thinking we should be contending top six already, we have just got promoted and as Del says an 11th place finish would be adequate this season and build for a top six finish next season. I missed the game due to working again but from reports it seems a great game and good entertainment for the travelling support, I know some posters are disappointed about being 2-0 up but united are a good team and before the game anyone would have taken a point from tannadice it could be a point which could save us from relegation rather than cost us top six.

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sheridan looked to me like he just could not be arsed. A fair number of times he just stopped running and was totally and utterly disinterested. That was fairly clear from very early on in the game, let alone when we were getting bombarded in the second half. In fact somebody said to me they could tell he would not be up to much from watching the warm up!!

I would have had Savo on (would have started him as well mind you) to hassle Dods and Kenneth, think it would have made a real difference to our approach.

Again, everything has been mentioned regarding what was a cracking game.

However, some of the saints fans should be embarrassed with themselves after last night. Why can't people see we are coming up against teams that have a great deal more quality and experience than us, rather than expecting us to mop up attack after attack. At times last night Utd were fantastic, particularly Swanson. And rather than supporting the player on the park some fans were hurling ridiculous insults at the players and coaching staff. Some boy shouting that all our players were "lazy." Every single player gave that 100% to try and win the game, its unfortunate our delusional support cannot see this.

Getting a bit bored of all of this 101 saint stuff. It's pretty much putting me off contributing to this forum.

The guy is either off his head, watching a different game to everyone else or clearly being deliberately and consistantly contrary as an attention seeking device. Given that his ravings are relatively coherant, I'll go for the latter option.

Worse still are the people that get riled by him. Don't you realise that's exactly what he wants?

Getting everyone upset is just a wee power trip for him - please don't feed his ego.

Mods: I know its possible to block a user, but is there any way to block reponses where he is quoted? I'd rather talk about the game than constantly read my way through 101 vs the world.

Getting a bit bored of all of this 101 saint stuff. It's pretty much putting me off contributing to this forum.

The guy is either off his head, watching a different game to everyone else or clearly being deliberately and consistantly contrary as an attention seeking device. Given that his ravings are relatively coherant, I'll go for the latter option.

Worse still are the people that get riled by him. Don't you realise that's exactly what he wants?

Getting everyone upset is just a wee power trip for him - please don't feed his ego.

Mods: I know its possible to block a user, but is there any way to block reponses where he is quoted? I'd rather talk about the game than constantly read my way through 101 vs the world.

f9cc829ae0b529241778cbc6134fbbcc.jpg

You know folks it's all about opinions. Wouldn't life be crap if we weren't allowed our own ones.

I kind of agree with 101 about Irvine and Smith. I like Irvine he brings something into the side. He's a natural attacking full back (bit like myself :laugh:). Aye sometimes his positioning is a bit worrying but that's because he's up the field trying to get balls into the box. Smith's dead ball kicking is awful but kicking the ball while it has momentum, he can do no bother. Thought his positioning last night was rubbish and I crap myself every time we concede a corner, as he seems oblivious that he should come out and try and catch these balls. Good save near the end though!

Thought our midfield were excellent. Especially Moon and Millar. McKay and Anderson had a good game at the back as well.

Anyway that's MY opinion.

You know folks it's all about opinions. Wouldn't life be crap if we weren't allowed our own ones.

I kind of agree with 101 about Irvine and Smith. I like Irvine he brings something into the side. He's a natural attacking full back (bit like myself :laugh:). Aye sometimes his positioning is a bit worrying but that's because he's up the field trying to get balls into the box. Smith's dead ball kicking is awful but kicking the ball while it has momentum, he can do no bother. Thought his positioning last night was rubbish and I crap myself every time we concede a corner, as he seems oblivious that he should come out and try and catch these balls. Good save near the end though!

Thought our midfield were excellent. Especially Moon and Millar. McKay and Anderson had a good game at the back as well.

Hard to disagree with any of that, but to be honest, I'd rather Smithy punched the ball clear than fumble it at the feet of a striker. If anything, at least you can say Smith's punches are stronger than Main's.

Metalbearabroad just leave it. Best to just say nowt about the dillusional one. We all know the crack.

He's a natural attacking full back.

All very well if you don't need to defend. Running back miles away from the advancing winger, then diving in (from miles away) and missing is poor poor defending.

Metalbearabroad just leave it. Best to just say nowt about the dillusional one. We all know the crack.

All very well if you don't need to defend. Running back miles away from the advancing winger, then diving in (from miles away) and missing is poor poor defending.

Miles is a bit of an over exaggeration... I wouldn't say it was poor defending. More desperate defending. The guy sitting behind me was ripping into Irvine for not being back while he was up attacking. Is Irvine meant to be superman?

No, he is meant to be a full BACK. That means his priority is to be BACK and defend. The clue is in the word BACK.

What he said.

He should be able to defend in order to play there.

I reckon he would be more suited to being a 1st division central midfielder.

Getting a bit ahead of yourself 101 thinking we should be contending top six already, we have just got promoted and as Del says an 11th place finish would be adequate this season and build for a top six finish next season. I missed the game due to working again but from reports it seems a great game and good entertainment for the travelling support, I know some posters are disappointed about being 2-0 up but united are a good team and before the game anyone would have taken a point from tannadice it could be a point which could save us from relegation rather than cost us top six.

Yeah but I see where 101s coming from. We have a squad thats good enough to go top 6 judging by parts of our performances this season so its frustrating when we're languishing below the likes of Motherwell and Aberdeen whose squads are not as good as ours.

Its also frustrating to lose points against: Hearts (H), Motherwell (H), Dundee United (A), Rangers (H).. all games we have been in front then squandered the lead, this coinciding with a change in tactics in each game.

If we had won just any two of those games a top six place would be in our hands with the games in hand we have. It;s these games that are painful to watch, regardless of the fact we have just come up, regardless of our ambition. We are good enough to do it, we should be doing it.

If we finish 11th this season I will be bitterly disappointed and wholeheartedly blame the manager for underperforming. I have huge confidence in him though and believe he will pull through, rally the boys and have us in a respectable position at the end of the season.

IMO, if we finish less than 7th after the split then we've underperformed

For Daly's goal last night, as soon as the free kick was signalled I said, and Marty will testify, "Smith has to come for this or its a goal". Smithy was rooted to his line, and it's a goal. Maybe a bit harsh on him but he needs to be more confident at dead ball situations I feelm as well as crosses from wide. Iv said on another thread he needs to have the confidence to come and pull a ball out the air instead of bottling it and getting rid of the ball

Yeah but I see where 101s coming from. We have a squad thats good enough to go top 6 judging by parts of our performances this season so its frustrating when we're languishing below the likes of Motherwell and Aberdeen whose squads are not as good as ours.

Its also frustrating to lose points against: Hearts (H), Motherwell (H), Dundee United (A), Rangers (H).. all games we have been in front then squandered the lead, this coinciding with a change in tactics in each game.

If we had won just any two of those games a top six place would be in our hands with the games in hand we have. It;s these games that are painful to watch, regardless of the fact we have just come up, regardless of our ambition. We are good enough to do it, we should be doing it.

If we finish 11th this season I will be bitterly disappointed and wholeheartedly blame the manager for underperforming. I have huge confidence in him though and believe he will pull through, rally the boys and have us in a respectable position at the end of the season.

IMO, if we finish less than 7th after the split then we've underperformed

By and large I agree with a lot of your post, but the emboldened bit is utter nonsense. Aberdeen and Motherwell have both got a handful of extremely talented youngsters (Fyvie, Forbes, Pawlett, Hutchison, Slane, etc) and, as clubs, they are much bigger than we are. To suggest we should be above them is a nonsense when their squads are simply better than what we have, even though the team we have is excellent considering we've only just ben promoted.

No, he is meant to be a full BACK. That means his priority is to be BACK and defend. The clue is in the word BACK.

I can't believe anybody would think that's a full backs job.

A full back has a range of jobs that include defending, doing over-lapping runs down the channels and trying to stick the ball in the box and throw-ins. I don't think even the worst managers would tell their full back to defend for 90 minutes. That's why you have a covering midfielder and centre-back to help when the full-back is up attacking. Anyway this has absolutely nothing to do with the game. The only thing Gary Irvine gets ripped on is pace, he's a good player.

A full back has a range of jobs that include defending, doing over-lapping runs down the channels and trying to stick the ball in the box and throw-ins. I don't think even the worst managers would tell their full back to defend for 90 minutes. That's why you have a covering midfielder and centre-back to help when the full-back is up attacking. Anyway this has absolutely nothing to do with the game. The only thing Gary Irvine gets ripped on is pace, he's a good player.

Your sig on PnB doesn't lie. :laugh:

The job is primarily about defending. You will be telling me that a keepers job isn't about keeping the ball out of the net, its about kicking and throwing out too. He should concentrate on that then when he gets that right he could push forward. If he gets ripped on pace then he shouldn't be going forward. His crossing and his distribution in general is awful. He also jumps in leaving the rest of the team to rescue us. In addition he gets in too tight and gets turned.

Apart from those points I think he is a great player.

The job is primarily about defending. You will be telling me that a keepers job isn't about keeping the ball out of the net, its about kicking and throwing out too. He should concentrate on that then when he gets that right he could push forward. If he gets ripped on pace then he shouldn't be going forward. His crossing and his distribution in general is awful. He also jumps in leaving the rest of the team to rescue us. In addition he gets in too tight and gets turned.

Apart from those points I think he is a great player.

Modern day fullbacks are far more offensively minded than they once were. Nowadays pace and crossing are as important as tackling and positioning, the CBs are left to do the defending.