Bring back Main till May

Zoro79

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People are suggesting Olejnik because they know nothing about football. Feck me, last year there was a clamour to sign Gallagher and prior to that WAPers would have signed Offiong:laugh:

...none of them are of the standard we should be aspiring to. Olejnik at Perth in the 3-1 game was closer to Buster Keaton than a good keeper.

Edited by soulfulsaint

I've been critical of Smith decision making for a while but he's still a decent keeper. Dropping him wouldn't do his confidence any good and Main's decision making isn't much better.

But do you think that Main will concede less between now and the season's end? That's all that matters. Smith will not be number one next year, he's had his chance and proven that he ain't good enough.

I think Smith will concede less than Main would for the remainder of the season. I also think Smith has been reading straight from the Alan Main goalkeeping book with those bizarre run-outs he's been undertaking recently.

That said, watching the replay, I think he was a wee bit unlucky - he actually makes the ball first with his initial tackle and it would have gone out of play if it hadn't flicked up off of the ankle of the Falkirk player's trailing leg.

But do you think that Main will concede less between now and the season's end? That's all that matters. Smith will not be number one next year, he's had his chance and proven that he ain't good enough.

No, I think Main would likely concede more. Reverting back to Alan Main when we decide we have failed yet again to find a world class Goalkeeper is akin to going back to your ex-girlfriend everytime you realise your new one is not quite the supermodel you unrealistically think you can snag!

No, I think Main would likely concede more. Reverting back to Alan Main when we decide we have failed yet again to find a world class Goalkeeper is akin to going back to your ex-girlfriend everytime you realise your new one is not quite the supermodel you unrealistically think you can snag!

In the immortal words of Boris Johnson, "Ha ha; richly comic!"

I'm off to start a poll....

Smith didn't make a save at Ibrox that Alzo wouldn't have made. He made TV saves.

You say that with certainty. How do you know that? There is an old management thought process that you leave a goalkeeper in place until he has a clanger or two which loses you points and then you bring on one of your other keepers until he does the same thing. He's done what all keepers do he's made an error here and there but he needs confidence like all keepers also. Willie Ormond had Derek Robertson as our main keeper for a long period until he got injured and then Donaldson was in for a long period. Maybe Main will get his chance again, or maybe even that 10 minutes at the end of the season. He may have been Saints greatest goalkeeper of all time (apart from a young man in the 1920's) but he wasn't playing well when Smith came in and so Smith deserves his chance.

• 2 weeks later...

Have u all forgotten acretain mr Main cosing us goals at killie and other games, im a major fan of alan main but his decision making is not there any more and tht will cost us more goals and yes i have watched smith in the past and yes he has cost us goals 2 but putting main inbetween the sticks wouldnt do us any good

agree with u saintee thru and thru i think from my perspective that people forget that this is a team game and there is ten players in front of smith. yes smith has made mistakes but there is players in front of hime not pulling theyre weight and also making mistakes its easy to blame the keeper also i think alan has had his time. main is a good keeper but i feel that putting main back in is going back the way.

look at ben foster at man utd hes made a few howlers worse than smith has but hes come back stronger and was number 1 man utd when van der sar was injured. I am not saying smith is man utd standard but give the guy a chance to prove himself.

look at ben foster at man utd hes made a few howlers worse than smith has but hes come back stronger and was number 1 man utd when van der sar was injured. I am not saying smith is man utd standard but give the guy a chance to prove himself.

But you could say smith has had a chance having played most of the season.

I do not think there is a great deal between either of them and we have been really poor at the back all season and this certainly does not make it easy for any keeper. Considering that it is quite funny how our player of the season is a defender.

Main was gash when he first came to Saints and it took him a long time ot prove the doubters wrong.

Smith looks good and will hopefully develop over the next season. Give him time.

As for bringing main back :laugh: pull the other one its got bells on it.

Might as well bring back roddy to give us some firepower up front.

Have u all forgotten acretain mr Main cosing us goals at killie and other games, im a major fan of alan main but his decision making is not there any more and tht will cost us more goals and yes i have watched smith in the past and yes he has cost us goals 2 but putting main inbetween the sticks wouldnt do us any good

Smith has cost us:

Celtic Away (x1)

Falkirk Home (x1) 2 points

Falkirk Away (x1)

Hibs Away (x1) 2 points

St Mirren Away (x1) 2 points

There are a couple more that will come to me

I make that 6 points there that he's directly cost us due to poor decisions.

His slice of a kick under no pressure at all gifted the Falkirk midfielder the opportunity to thread a ball through an advancing defence, who expected the ball lumped up the park.

He never even looked like he wanted to get the ball when he came off his line at Hibs, it was a terrible, half-hearted attempt and deservedly he conceded a penalty.

St Mirren away, ball comes into the box and he comes 7 yards off his line to flap at the ball, leaving the back end of the goal terribly exposed. Our lead and another couple of points lost.

If it wasnt for these errors we would be sitting in the top 6 just now. Theres no excusing it, Smith is a poor keeper. Whether bringing Alan in is the right decision or not, I dont know. But one thing i do know is that Smithy is very quickly establishing himself as a Euan McLean type bomb-scare

Smith has cost us:

Celtic Away (x1)

Falkirk Home (x1) 2 points

Falkirk Away (x1)

Hibs Away (x1) 2 points

St Mirren Away (x1) 2 points

There are a couple more that will come to me

I make that 6 points there that he's directly cost us due to poor decisions.

His slice of a kick under no pressure at all gifted the Falkirk midfielder the opportunity to thread a ball through an advancing defence, who expected the ball lumped up the park.

He never even looked like he wanted to get the ball when he came off his line at Hibs, it was a terrible, half-hearted attempt and deservedly he conceded a penalty.

St Mirren away, ball comes into the box and he comes 7 yards off his line to flap at the ball, leaving the back end of the goal terribly exposed. Our lead and another couple of points lost.

If it wasnt for these errors we would be sitting in the top 6 just now. Theres no excusing it, Smith is a poor keeper. Whether bringing Alan in is the right decision or not, I dont know. But one thing i do know is that Smithy is very quickly establishing himself as a Euan McLean type bomb-scare

What about the saves and points he has helped to win us( and dont ask me to name them 1 by 1)

its a team and squad game and he has contributed as all have at some point.....

i wish people on here would leave our players alone and JUST get behind them.

What about the saves and points he has helped to win us( and dont ask me to name them 1 by 1)

its a team and squad game and he has contributed as all have at some point.....

i wish people on here would leave our players alone and JUST get behind them.

He hasn't. I've seen every game he's played (except Falkirk last week where he might have made a worthy save at the death) and cannot think of any save that he's made and Main wouldn't/couldn't. He's costing us big time and Del is a fud for not prioritising the situation in January. Still, at least we got Connolly and Sheridan:roll:

He hasn't. I've seen every game he's played (except Falkirk last week where he might have made a worthy save at the death) and cannot think of any save that he's made and Main wouldn't/couldn't. He's costing us big time and Del is a fud for not prioritising the situation in January. Still, at least we got Connolly and Sheridan:roll:

Unless you have something new to add ...Shut the **** up man..

It's sending us all to sleep...

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I wish I had chucked you over the barrier on Saturday now:wink:

Unless you have something new to add ...Shut the **** up man..

It's sending us all to sleep...

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I wish I had chucked you over the barrier on Saturday now:wink:

You didn't offer much defence of either Smith or Del on Saturday and that was pre-match. At least I stayed to the appluad the players....

It is not in your agenda to like anything Del does right or wrong but to carry it on into players performance is wrong.Connolly appears poor and Sheridan is poor but we have hindsight Del does not. As before Smith is our best option no matter what you may think and you may just have to swallow for once that you are wrong. You used to back up your pishy theories with pish arguments but this time everyone KNOWS you are wrong.:cool: