Youth chat 2011/2012

Tranmere Saintee

u13's Away to Elgin City Sunday 13th.. Hopefully they will play with their usual freeflowing exciting football. Looking forward to it a lot. More news after the match.

PS It all began with an iPhone .. my son was celebrating his 16th birthday, so I got him an iPhone. He just loved it. Who wouldn’t? Then, my birthday came along, and my wife made me very happy when she got me an iPad. Then it was time for our daughter’s birthday, so I got her an iPod Touch. Last but not least, it was time for my Wife’s birthday. So I got her an iRon. Boom Boom...

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

U/19s lost their cup-tie today against a Dunfermline side who played most of the game with 10 following a sending off for two bookable offences,

Saints had taken the lead -BUT couldnt break down a resiliant Pars side who scored twice to win the game 2-1.

Pretty poor show from the young saints today -not the best of passing -crossing and hold up play.

U/19s lost their cup-tie today against a Dunfermline side who played most of the game with 10 following a sending off for two bookable offences,

Saints had taken the lead -BUT couldnt break down a resiliant Pars side who scored twice to win the game 2-1.

Pretty poor show from the young saints today -not the best of passing -crossing and hold up play.

That is disappointing news. We finished in the top half of the U19 league last season and I think are up there again this term, so imagine the lads would have been hoping for some success in this competition. To lose having had a man advantage for so long will be a sore one to take.

Still fondly remember my first trip to Hampden Park which was for the final of this competition back in 1995. A healthy support travelled through from Perth on a warm summer evening and current Glentoran manager Scott Young was voted man of the match despite Saints losing 2-0 to Rangers.

For those present, I see Ricky McIntosh scored again. How did he play generally? Is he one we're likely to see in the first team down the line?

Been to see almost every game the 19s have played this season and i have to say they didnt play to their best today, young ricky mcintosh scored a terrific goal to give saints a deserved lead but once again, as has happened many times this season, i felt the team were let down badly by very poor defending once again, very dissapointing to lose to what i thought was a very poor dunfermline side.

Still fondly remember my first trip to Hampden Park which was for the final of this competition back in 1995. A healthy support travelled through from Perth on a warm summer evening and current Glentoran manager Scott Young was voted man of the match despite Saints losing 2-0 to Rangers.

I knew I recognised Scott Young when Glentoran were on the tv during the week but I could not remember where from. Must be my age.

Remember that night well too.

For those present, I see Ricky McIntosh scored again. How did he play generally? Is he one we're likely to see in the first team down the line?

He certainly knows where the goals are and his solo run was finished off very well -However I dont think he is ready for the First team yet -but might benefit from a spell at a lower league club for a few months -to see how he does at that level,

Biggest problem that i saw today was the lack of width -as most of the attacks went through the middle of the park and were dealt with by the Dunfermline Midfield/Defence.

Would like to have seen us use the flanks more -particularly when Dunfermline were down to 10- but for some reason we kept hitting the high ball to the Striker.

One thing i dont like (and its my own thing) was TC shouting at -rather than encouraging the lads to forget their mistakes and keep going........OI EWE just doesnt do their confidence any good whatsoever -BUT its obviously worked in previous games so might not be a bad thing after all.

One thing i dont like (and its my own thing) was TC shouting at -rather than encouraging the lads to forget their mistakes and keep going........OI EWE just doesnt do their confidence any good whatsoever -BUT its obviously worked in previous games so might not be a bad thing after all.

It's difficult ancient. The 19s is probably one of the hardest to coach as they are taking the step up from boys/youths to mens football. If you tell a team to play the easy ball and the lad goes and tries a world cup ball and loses posession then he has to be told.

TC will know what boys he will be able to shout at and the boys that he need to coax along with encouraging shouts. Doesn't them any harm to get a kick up the backside at times.

Under 19 squad went down 2-1 to Celtic at Stirling this afternoon. Not bad when you consider the players that saints had to do without due to the match taking place on the Saturday.

Also noticed that Alex and Tommy were with the first team squad so not exactly sure who was taking the boys. It was originally down for a 1pm KO.

Great second half performance from Saints Liam Caddis missed a penalty and the boys mor than deserved a point. Dave Black and Barney took the team, Celtic had 9 yes 9 coaches not to mention the big Parks of Hamilton one in the car park.

Glad you added the bit about Parks of Hamilton as I thought you meant 9 football coaches for a minute:laugh:

It is about time this stupid SPL rule of having 3 under 19 players in pool is done away with.

It does no one any good as very few get a game & it stops some guys getting a match time.

I hink the SPl have 2 do 2 things. Firstly as you say scrap this stupid under 21 rule and secondly change all under 19 fixtures to a Friday 1pm kick off unless the 2 teams agree otherwise. As it stands at present the OF who much bigger squads have a distinct advantage.

As far as Celtic with the 9 coaches are concerned I think they have a full time physio and sports scientist etc for that age group